Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Question about mr16 bulbs.

I am looking for mr16 halogens for a pondscum project, and I've got some questions.

First, do most MR16 bulbs come with glass covers or are they an exposed bulb unless otherwise noted? How can you tell?

Second, for battery life purposes, I want to have one 10 watt light. I am looking at 10 watt mr16 lamps like these:

https://www.lightbulbemporium.com/pr...p?prod=1002143

I am looking at these because they say they are aluminized, which, if I understand correctly, means that the heat will go out the front, not the back. Does the fact that these are "dimmable" have any effect on how efficient they are?

Third, Which base type do I want? I see bases refered to as G5.3, GU5.3 and GX5.3. Are these all the same?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You may also want to check out your local hardware or Home improvement store for bulbs. You can usually get 12v MR16's quite easily in various wattages and beam patterns.I don't think heat is an issue with Halogen bulbs, in fact I believe that halogens burn better when hot.
    10 watts will probably not be bright enough for most trail riding, I moved up to a 15 watt bulb soon after getting my "trailrat" years ago. I was willing to take a loss on run time so I could see better. 10 watts may be OK for road but not for serious trail riding.

Eric S

mtbr member
    If you don't fair well at your local Home center, you can get both mr16 and mr11's from Batteryspace along with the sockets and they have different wattages in both spot and floods lamps.
    They are half the price of the local home center and the home center will not have sockets.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...&Category=1044

mtbr member
    I just remembered something...back when I built my halogen light I tried both the MR16 and MR11 lamps. I found that the MR 11 was a much tighter and brighter bulb. The only difference in the two is the reflector on the MR16 is larger and that did not equate to a better light for what we are using them for.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joebreez
    You may also want to check out your local hardware or Home improvement store for bulbs. You can usually get 12v MR16's quite easily in various wattages and beam patterns.I don't think heat is an issue with Halogen bulbs, in fact I believe that halogens burn better when hot.
    10 watts will probably not be bright enough for most trail riding, I moved up to a 15 watt bulb soon after getting my "trailrat" years ago. I was willing to take a loss on run time so I could see better. 10 watts may be OK for road but not for serious trail riding.

Eric S
    You are right, 10w is not enough for real trail riding, but 10 watts of halogen is way more than enough for long climbs. Heck, my 5 watt is sufficient for that. The reason I want a less powerful light is that I am going with an overvolted 20w as my main light for the real riding, and that will eat the battery quickly. I don't see the need to cut my ride short so I can have tons of light when I don't need it. I'm climbing longer than I'm decending. This is just my bars I'm talking about here. I have a 15w halogen for my helmet that works fine, just not much burn time.

I'm not worried about the heat for the bulbs sake, but rather for the housing's sake (see the Pond Scum thread).

Light freak
    Just put some aluminum tape on the backside of the bulb, you will have no problems.