Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Question about modifying battery pack (Magicshine clone)

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BallisticBatteries 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently bought Magicshine clone light clone from DX. Unfortunately battery pack that came in set is only 4400mAh which is not enough for my needs (only 2.5h running time).

httx://dx.com/p/ssc-p7-3-mode-900-lumen-led-headlamp-bike-light-set-4-18650-50947
(just change x with p on the beginning of link)

Tech:
Emitter Brand/Type: Seoul Semiconductors SSC
Emitter BIN: SSC P7 LED
Color BIN: White
Total Emitters: 1
Battery Configurations: 4 x 18650 (included)
Voltage Input: 8.4V
Switch Type: Clicky (Clickie)
Switch Location: Tailcap (Tail-cap)
Modes: 3
Mode Memory: Yes
Mode Arrangement: Hi > Low > Fast Strobe
Circuitry: Digital Regulated 2800mA Current Output
Brightness: 900 lumens maximum brightness (manufactuer rated)
Runtime: Hi:3~4 hours (manufactuer rated)
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum Textured/OP
Accessories Included: 1x Head strap, 2x rubber ring, 1x 100~240V power adapter (US plug), 1x battery holder, 1x Chinese/English manual

I came to idea to modify battery pack in a way to remove 4x18650 battery (1100mAh each) and to install new 4 x 18650, but with 2500mAh or more. I dont know is it possible to replace buttery just like that, or is there something else that its need to be done. I know that in battery pack beside battery is some electronic...(?)

If I upgrade battery pack in that way and if I get 10000mAh instead 4400mAh could I expect to get also double running time - from 2.5h to 5h?

Thank's in advance! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
MS battery pack is wired 2S2P, meaning that there are four 2200mAh cells in the pack. The most you could get out of such pack is 6200mAh if using 3100mAh Panasonic cells which are avaliable on DX. You might concieder wirind a 2S3P pack which would give you 9300mAh top.

#3 ·
This is not original MS, and somewhere on the internet I found that this battery pack is 4400mAh. Hmm...

Nonetheless, is there any simple way to wire this as 2S3P, and which battery should I use to get 9300mAh? That 3100mAh Panasonic?

Somehow it seems that best and cheepeast way would be to get one spare 6400mAh battery pack for cca 18$.

#4 ·
Original or not, it's 7.4V nominal which means it's wired 2S. Go ahead and buy that 6600mAh pack, but don't expect too much from it. There are still cheap chinese cells in that pack, meaning it will go bad sooner or later. You could use the protection board from the pack you have and wire some decent cells yourself.

2S3P pack for 18$? That's 6 cells + PCB + wrapping for 18$? Do the math!

#5 ·
you can get the MS 4400mah spare pack, with the pouch for $28. why not just get a spare battery dx sku: 32756, and a pair of their y-adapter cables sku:32752 - rewire the cables to create yourself a parallel harness (unfortunately these y-cables are for running 2 light heads off 1 battery, not 2 batteries to 1 light head, so you'll have to build a 2 male:1 female version) and not worry about having to rebuild a pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.