Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Quazzles L30 light

Hi all,

I'm setting up a small helmet light for my upcoming 12 hour race, (6pm - 6am). I already have a couple of the magic shine lights I plan on using form my bar lights running on low all night. I figure two of them on the bar on low and Quazzle’s light on my helmet will be a good combination for a tight relatively flat trail that I ride at least a couple of times a week.

I have purchased a bunch of AWs 18650 2600mah cells and some holders for them that I plan on wiring up this weekend. Of course, the cells are 3.7 volts, but the L30 light has an operating voltage range of 3.8-12v. I have both 2 cell holders and 4 cell holders, but need to know what is the best way to solder them up? I'm assuming I will need to solder the holder so the batteries are in series and not parallel due to the higher voltage requirements?

I only ask because a single cell does power the light, but I don’t know what will happen if I ran two batteries parallel vs. running two cells in series.

By the way, I just got my L30 light yesterday in the mail. I was blown away at the size and workmanship of the light. Very nice!

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Light freak
    Please post pics of the light mounted and beamshots are a must.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wire holders as 7.4 volt I would guess.
    So two series in the 2x holder
    and
    Two parallel two series in the 4x holder.
    Running all parallel, at 3.7 volts, will make the boost circuit work harder than at 7.4 v.

mtbr member
    7.4v is optimal (2S1P or 2S2P for higher capacity).
    Buy the way I'm glad to know that $10 air mail from here takes about 2 weeks to US and is trackable (I checked it at usps.com).

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys!

As soon as I get some free time I will get it wired up and try to get some practical beam shots. I will get a couple of static shots on my helmet as early as tonight.

Rob

mtbr member
    Here are some pictures of the light mounted on my helmet:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Beamshots!
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mmmmmm...teeny and sexxxxy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I really like how this sits in tight to the helmet.

How close to your head is the o-ring "hook" on the inside of the helmet?

mtbr member
    that does look the part and very neat .

BUT and I dont want to be a kiljoy here

A couple of years ago I was going to do a very similar sort of thing very low profile using the gaps in the helmet untill it was pointed out to me that in the event of a crash the light would then be driven into my skull instead of possibly being knocked off the helmet .

and looking at the pic that is exactly what would happen with an impact to the helmet/light in that position .

Be carefull out there

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb

A couple of years ago I was going to do a very similar sort of thing very low profile using the gaps in the helmet untill it was pointed out to me that in the event of a crash the light would then be driven into my skull instead of possibly being knocked off the helmet .

and looking at the pic that is exactly what would happen with an impact to the helmet/light in that position .

Be carefull out there
    That's exactly why I only use plastic parts for the helmet mounts on my lights now. Plastic parts end up being soft enough that it reduces the risk of something bad happening in a crash. At one point of few years ago I used mounts made from a combination of CNC machined parts and plastic parts. But in a crash, any metal parts attached to the light head can penetrate the helmet way to easily. I always look at any helmet light I make now and think what would happen if someone did an endo and landed directly on top of their head while this is mounted to the helmet.

mtbr member
    Here is a picture of the light from the other side. Photos don't really show depth perception very well, so I can tell you there is over an inch between the light mount and where my head would be placed in the hlemet. The vent is over an inch deep.

I have no idea what will happen in a crash if one ever occured. I'm suspecting that quite a few things are going to break; center rib of the helmet, the o-ring, the bike/helmet mount and possibly the mounting screws for the light to the mount. I'm sure that there is a possibility that the light could get driven far enough down to hit my skull. I guess I am wiling to take my chances on this issue. I may set the light on one of the other verticle vents so that if I did crash, the light would get knocked off.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That picture is good. I'd ride with that without worries.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    that does look the part and very neat .

BUT and I dont want to be a kiljoy here ...............

Be carefull out there
    Like Sir Trout .... very neat etc ..........don't want to be a kiljoy either ........ but isn't the swivel 90 deg out for any useful adjustment? Maybe it's not for adjustment?

I'll go hide now

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Disagree...now he has "full adjustment", hahaha. Windage and elevation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobblehat
    Like Sir Trout .... very neat etc ..........don't want to be a kiljoy either ........ but isn't the swivel 90 deg out for any useful adjustment? Maybe it's not for adjustment?

I'll go hide now
    True the 90 degree swivel is useless now, but you can adjust the direction it points by simply turning your head.

removing nudity
    It does look good Crewcabrob but in light of what Troutie has said have you tried mounting it lower on the helmet.

Get a longer O ring, mount the bracket at 90 degrees to the way it is now on the cross brace immediately in front of the light. Wrap the O ring over both of the "longitudinal" ribs on the helmet. The bracket would sit higher than it does now but if you tilted the light down almost 90 degrees to the bracket I think the overall height would be less, it also then does give you fine adjustment with the angle of throw.

In the event of an OTB that'll never happen to us you then have foam between your mellon and the metal bracket.

If the light gets snagged on a low branch it will pivot up without dislodging

Just a thought

mtbr member
    Yep, I'm considering all sorts of mounting options at this point. I have two helmets that I use. I have the white S-works helmet from the pictures and I also have a Bell Sweep XC that I ride with once in a while. I may try mounting it on that helmet to see how it works too.

I will grab some more photos when I have a chance. And I will also try to grab a beam shot (or two) for comparison. I have a couple of the Magicshines that I can capture a couple of beam shots on low and medium.

I worked on my battery packs last night as well as getting ends put on my battery and switches. So far so good. I really need a heat gun though for the tubing.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    OP:

1. Road, MTB, Commuter?
    2. Is 240lm P4 enough light to "see" or is it to "be seen"?

I'm building a single XP-G and would like a little feedback for design purposes.

mtbr member
    Hi,

MTB riding. Not a lot of down hill and the trails are at best swoopy with a lot of tight twisty sections. It's rare to hit 20mph on any section of my normal trails.

240lm is plenty to be seen. It will never be enough for trail riding by itself. I'm placing this on my helmet and a couple of other lights on the bars.

I really wanted to wait for the 350lm or 1100lm versions to be out, but this is a good amount of light with a super sexy case. I would like to see if the 350lm board fits in this case at some point.

By the way, nice work on your projects!

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob
    Hi,

MTB riding. Not a lot of down hill and the trails are at best swoopy with a lot of tight twisty sections. It's rare to hit 20mph on any section of my normal trails.

240lm is plenty to be seen. It will never be enough for trail riding by itself. I'm placing this on my helmet and a couple of other lights on the bars.

I really wanted to wait for the 350lm or 1100lm versions to be out, but this is a good amount of light with a super sexy case. I would like to see if the 350lm board fits in this case at some point.

By the way, nice work on your projects!

Rob
    According to the datasheets, they are different diameter boards...in your favor though. 17.9 for your board and 14.6mm for the 350lm.

I started boring a piece of 3/4" hex for the 350lm board last night. I have a 14.6mm x 19.5mm flat bottom hole right now. It will probably house some Tina optics...so I will mill some off the end.

If you have time and a camera...can do do some beamshots of the helmet light?

mtbr member
    Here are a couple of quick shots with a differnet mounting position:

This may be the winner. It will adjust both up/down and side to side with no issues.

By the way, I tried to take some quick beam shots in the garage today, but I only have one of the Sony Cybershot point and shoot guys. Is there any way to lock the settings for better side by side shots? I think I have a DSC-T90.

I compared it to the Magicshines that I have; the low setting was still brighter than the L30 by my eyes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That looks flippin' KEWL!

Light freak
    Hey crewcabrob, Have you got your lighting situation all sorted out for your upcoming race? Please let us know your honest impressions of the L30 single light. Stuff like does the housing get hot, how is the beam quality, what type of runtimes you getting out of the 18650's (how many, 2S, or 2S2P), how does it compare to your MagicShines?

Enquiring minds want to know.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Yep, I'm done with the 12 hour race. It was quite a deal and I can honestly say I have not been on my bike for more than 3 hours before this race. I spent about the first 5 1/2 hours on my bike only getting off to put lights on about 3 hours into it and then rode another 2 1/2 hours after that before I really bonked and needed to get off the bike for an extended period of time. I made more laps later in the race at various times, but I got the bulk of my 60 miles in early in the race.

I used various combinations over night with my lights. The brightest and best being the two magicshines on high; 1 on the helmet and the other on the bar.

I did have Quazzles L30 on my helmet for a couple of laps and here is what I can say about it. The beam with the standard optics work well. It doesn't throw as far as the magicshine on low (i compared it to the 5 mode light which should pump out around 200lm on low) but there is a lot of usable light. I could easily of ran with just the one light at the pace I was going and given the trail I was on. The housing never got hot when the cooler option but I was constantly moving when on the trail. I did stop once at the scorers tent for a while (7-10 minutes) with the light on and it got fairly warm. The temps at night were around 60 degrees F.

I didn't do a full run down test on the light but I did run it for over 2 hours on two of the cells. I'm sure it had juice left, but at that point I didn't have any left in me.

My trail conditions were very good with only two large mud pits to contend with on each of my laps. Each lap was 5 miles long and most of it was fairly flat with gradual climbs and slow, switch-back down hill runs. There were to areas that had wide open feilds where you could use the throw of the lights. The rest was tight and twisty so anything beyond 30 feet was useless.

While I think you could ride with only one of these lights, I think you would need a minimum of 3 lights to have enought light to really get around at night well. I'm guessing that the light has around 200lm out the front with losses from optics. Three of them would put you at 600lm and I think that would sufficient. Now with the new 350lm version or the 1100 version, you could have some serious light.

Let meknow if you have other questions, I will try to answer them.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast