Thread: Quad XPG light

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Quad XPG light

I just finished a new Quad R4 XPG setup. Got it from Cutter on Thursday.
    I decided to use an old anodized Viewpoint housing much like the one Doug Hoffman is using. It's an MR 11 size and everything fit with very little fuss.
    I only had to cut a piece of 1/4" plate Aluminum into a circle to fit tightly inside the unit. I then drilled out a center hole to accommodate the power wire into the PCB center. I then AA'd it into the housing at the appropriate depth.
    Heat transfer seems good but I only pasted the PCB onto the surface, the lens holds it onto the backing plate.
    I decided to use a heat sink for RC car motors, it fits on the housing perfectly and comes off if I need to take the unit apart.
    Bflex is carefully stuffed into the back of the unit and running at 1 amp max.
    I used a Judco Momentary switch with the optional red boot.

Overall first impressions of the XPG using the GT4-S lens is there is a TON of light coming out of this unit. I just wish it were more focused for a helmet unit.
    Once again a game of catchup with the optics. As it stands it would make a killer bar light. I'll see next ride how it is on my head. So far I have yet to top the P7 units Doug is making for throw.(I have other stuff coming )
    I'm trying to get a Cute 4 lens from Bram but will have to use that second housing to set that up due to different lens depths.
    I'll post some beam shots in the next few days and compare them to some other units I have.

Does anyone have beam shots of the Cute 4 lens in action?

Last edited by joebreez; 02-01-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Eric S

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebreez
    I just finished a new Quad R4 XPG setup. Got it from Cutter on Thursday.
    I decided to use an old anodized Viewpoint housing much like the one Doug Hoffman is using. It's an MR 11 size and everything fit with very little fuss.
    I only had to cut a piece of 1/4" plate Aluminum into a circle to fit tightly inside the unit. I then drilled out a center hole to accommodate the power wire into the PCB center. I then AA'd it into the housing at the appropriate depth.
    Heat transfer seems good but I only pasted the PCB onto the surface, the lens holds it onto the backing plate.
    I decided to use a heat sink for RC car motors, it fits on the housing perfectly and comes off if I need to take the unit apart.
    Bflex is carefully stuffed into the back of the unit and running at 1 amp max.
    I used a Judco Momentary switch with the optional red boot.

Overall first impressions of the XPG using the GT4-S lens is there is a TON of light coming out of this unit. I just wish it were more focused for a helmet unit.
    Once again a game of catchup with the optics. As it stands it would make a killer bar light. I'll see next ride how it is on my head. So far I have yet to top the P7 units Doug is making for throw.(I have other stuff coming )
    I'm trying to get a Cute 4 lens from Bram but will have to use that second housing to set that up due to different lens depths.
    I'll post some beam shots in the next few days and compare them to some other units I have.

Excellent! I love seeing those Marwi / Viewpoint housings being recycled. I've been waiting for Doug to come out with a heatsink slug to work with either a triple or quad XP-G. Like me it seems you couldn't wait. Did you take any photos of the slug the emitter PBC is mounted on before you AA'd it to the housing? Did you try running the light without the added heatsink? Since most of it is not contacting the housing, It would be hard to say if there really is much difference. Disappointing to hear that the optic is not giving you the throw/beam pattern you want. Right now that continues to be the problem with people who want to build these with triple or quad optics. If you find a quad optic that narrows the beam a bit more please be sure to post up. Like you if I was to do one of these I would like it to be used as a helmet light with a tight beam pattern. Oh, one last request...BEAM SHOTS!...

mtbr member
    Kaitsu does: New Ledil XP-G optics
    There you have a direct comparison of GT4 and Cute4 lenses with XPG leds. It looks like Cute4 is much more suitable for helmet light application.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No, I didn't take any photo's of the 'slug' the LED's are on. It's just a piece that sits in the widest part of the housing. It doesn't go all the way to the back of the housing. It essentially looks like a flat doughnut set back 1/4 " from the housing front lip.
    As for the Heat sink, it does get warm during use so I know it does transfer heat from the housing. I may cut it in half at the very least.
    Doug's lights are just bare, they get warm but not very. I might be able to do the same but for now I'll use it for the next few rides.
    I'd have liked to use a Maxflex as a driver but was having a hard time figuring out a mount inside the housing, I'm still working on it...

Bean shots are coming in the next few days.

ortelius, thanks for the link. It helps but the snow is killing me. It does seem more focused though.
    Eric S

mtbr member
    ....I'm trying to get a Cute 4 lens from Bram but will have to use that second housing to set that up due to different lens depths.

Can't wait to see how the Cute4 lens works with your set-up. If this works well I just might try to do one of these myself ( just for the fun of it )

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just got my new quad XPE/G Cute 4 Spot lens.
    Some observations;
    It has a much tighter beam, should be the new helmet unit- a ton of light and throws very far compared to the GT4- Spot.
    The GT4 should really be classified as a Medium or wide angle,should make a great bar light.
    I do have to start over and make yet another 'donut' to mount the LED's to, thankfully I do have another housing. I just hope I have enough depth in it to pull this off. I'll take some photo's of the build this time...
    I'll try and do some beam shots tomorrow night and post them ASAP .
    Eric S

Members who have read this thread: 0