mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Princeton Tec Switchback Users?

I had the chance to briefly demo a Princeton Tec Switchback 3 at a race recently. No riding with it, just to the dark woods to check it out. I was really impressed, to the point that I'm now pursuing, dumping my HID light or one. Alway found (IMHO) the white/purple light of one HID to turn EVERYTHING the same color. I didn't seem to notice this with the LED SB3. Not to mention the burn time potential is damn sweet.

I have NO DIY talent so geeking one up like D. Harris is not an option and the money seems right with the PT SB series.

But then I started thinking, am I jumping into this too quick?
    Should I wait till more folks weigh in on them?
    Should I suck it up with my one NR HID the rest of the season?
    Should I go with the SB3 and an extra battery (I do solo stuff)
    or should I got with a SB2/Xbattery and a SB1?
    Would you use the SB3 JUST on bars or on Helmet?

I read James' reviews, and a couple others on the web, but looking for more info before I part with my lights/money. So any folks care to weigh in

Sorry for the laundry list of questions, but feed back is appreciated.

Jm
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I too am curious about this light as it can now be had for under 250. I'm wondering if they are going to change the LED's to cree's or soeuls in the next 6 mos. or so. Anybody here have any inside info. There are also other really bright LED options now though more expensive.

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    I too am curious about this light as it can now be had for under 250. I'm wondering if they are going to change the LED's to cree's or soeuls in the next 6 mos. or so. Anybody here have any inside info. There are also other really bright LED options now though more expensive.
    I'd still go with the HID and wait until more LED lights come with the Cree's or Seouls as standard I believe the output from these will then be simular to HID's

Have a look at http://nightlightning.co.nz/ they've just indroduced a 3 x LED running Seouls thats, 720 Lumens with 7.50 hours from a Li-ion 14.8V 4.4Ah

Also worth a look is http://www.ayup.com.au/ (website down at the moment )although still running with Luxon III I believe they will be upgarding to Cree's or Seouls with the next 3 months or so.
    My Ayups compare very favourably with the switchback 2 (2 leds against 2 leds) once again only compared with a quick look and not ridden with.
    Just Ride !

Young, Shawn Young
    Im going with the Princeton sb2. Universal has them for $223 minus the 10% discount. Not bad
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I have a Switchback 2, and have been using it for a few months now. The biggest letdown is the size and weight of the battery, and on the Switchback 3 it's even larger and heavier.
    It does provide ample light to get around I guess, though I would like a lot more, and I do admit I'm struggling with the light it provides.

We put the Ayup and SB2 side by side, and the SB2 is *barely* brighter than the Ayups. The Ayups however have the advantage of being much cheaper, and using a much smaller and heavier battery - you can get a set of two with four batteries for the same as a single SB2, and the pair will weight less than a single SB2.

The SB2 also gets very hot. If you wear full-fingered gloves you'll be okay, but on a warm night if you were running it in an enduro it can/will actually overheat, and you don't want to accidentally handle it with your bare hands.

If I had to run swichbacks for a crit, I'd be running a 3 on the bars with a SB2 battery, and a 2 on the helmet with a SB1 battery. That'd get you through roughly a 90 minute crit.

My plan is to actually buy a set of Ayups, whether or not I use these in place of or in combination with the SB2 though is yet to be decided. Unfortunately, what I really need is something with much more spread, since both the Ayup and SB2s are really only useful as a spot light, not a flood light.

Young, Shawn Young
    Glad you replied before I pulled the trigger. The size and weight of the battery is really got me thinking about something else now. Dammit if I cant find a light to replace my old trail head light

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

thanks for the info...

Thanks for input. Still at the top of my list, but I'm holding off till late season due to some financial contraints I like the light color of the LEDs. Hope to try some out later in the year.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Keep your HID

I had two of the SB2's and sold them for a loss. They could not compare to my L&M HID and my Seoul upgraded MiNewt. The MiNewt is so bright when upgraded and is so small and light including battery . The SB2 battery is a bruiser.

Don't get it!

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Well, on Thursday night I turned up to a race, and my Switchback 2 wouldn't turn on. Turns out the extension cable has had it, Princeton can't get get me a replacement any time soon, and the Australian distributor won't have ANY Princeton parts for at least a month. Nice. Had to run the race constantly fixing the placement of the light/battery, as I hadn't bought along the handlebar mount - what would have been 11 minute laps ended up being 20 minute laps (first two). I gave up on the light on the third/final lap when everyone else had already finished, and put in a 12:15 in complete darkness

So because I need a solution within a week, I've had to go get a set of AYUPs. I'll decide what to do with the SB2 at a later date I guess.
    It'll be nice having both a handlebar and helmet mounted light though at half the weight of the SB2.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Well, on Thursday night I turned up to a race, and my Switchback 2 wouldn't turn on. Turns out the extension cable has had it, Princeton can't get get me a replacement any time soon, and the Australian distributor won't have ANY Princeton parts for at least a month. Nice. Had to run the race constantly fixing the placement of the light/battery, as I hadn't bought along the handlebar mount - what would have been 11 minute laps ended up being 20 minute laps (first two). I gave up on the light on the third/final lap when everyone else had already finished, and put in a 12:15 in complete darkness

So because I need a solution within a week, I've had to go get a set of AYUPs. I'll decide what to do with the SB2 at a later date I guess.
    It'll be nice having both a handlebar and helmet mounted light though at half the weight of the SB2.
    Ouch! I would be pissed to say the least. I ended up going with the helmet hid blast from Jet Lights. I really like the looks of this light and Ill be hitting the trail after work to see how it does on the singletrak

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Ouch! I would be pissed to say the least. I ended up going with the helmet hid blast from Jet Lights. I really like the looks of this light and Ill be hitting the trail after work to see how it does on the singletrak
    Well it looks like their customer service is pretty good. Woke up thismorning to find an email from Sid at Princeton saying that they've sent me out a replacement cable - seems like at their cost too - pretty good considering I was offering to purchase and pay for the replacement, and they've just done it no questions asked.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Well it looks like their customer service is pretty good. Woke up thismorning to find an email from Sid at Princeton saying that they've sent me out a replacement cable - seems like at their cost too - pretty good considering I was offering to purchase and pay for the replacement, and they've just done it no questions asked.
    Awesome! Customer service should always be in the equation when purchasing from a company