mtbr member

Power tool 18v lights on a bike?

Recently invested in the Makita 18v cordless tool with 5Ah batteries and really impress with the runtime. Seeing that they are compact and can take some abuse perhaps the future could be 18v LED lights?

Name:  bshngli18v1900n.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  42.7 KB
    Bosch 18V Lithium-Ion system, this floodlight can run ten hours on an 18V 6.0 Ah battery
    Adjustable brightness - offers more runtime at 1,000 Lumens or brighter light at 1,900 Lumens
    Innovative high-power LED - supplies the brightest light (1,900 Lumens) in its class

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The features that make a good worklight and what makes a good bike light are at far opposite ends of the LED light world. An LED with a large die size like in the Bosch light you pictured will only make a wide flood light unless used with a large (>50mm) reflector or aspheric optic. Certainly not what most would want for a bike light IMO.

The 18V 5 Ah Makita batteries that I have are a 5S2P configuration. Not even close to "cutting edge".. If they would use the best cells commonly available (Panasonic or LG 3500mAh), the same package could be 18V and 7Ah.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    The tool batteries tend to be very very high quality. Some last for years using them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

The light is useless, but I think the tool batteries would make pretty great bike light power sources. Theyre just expensive.

mtbr member
    I agree that they are far from cutting edge but I feel they are leaps and bounds over bicycle power sources in term of terms of construction; case, heat protection circuitry, battery level gauge and fast charging. Some Hitachi power tool batts are IP rated.

I'd love a flood light on the bar, not as big as that Borsch mind you, combine with an optic light on the helmet. The point is no matter of your light configuration, one tool battery is all that you need to power them all.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMtLemmon View Post
    I agree that they are far from cutting edge but I feel they are leaps and bounds over bicycle power sources in term of terms of construction; case, heat protection circuitry, battery level gauge and fast charging. Some Hitachi power tool batts are IP rated.

I'd love a flood light on the bar, not as big as that Borsch mind you, combine with an optic light on the helmet. The point is no matter of your light configuration, one tool battery is all that you need to power them all.
    You do realize-

A: powertool batteries are nothing more than the same exact type of cells used in bike lights. Top of the light bike lights are the same as top of the line tool batteries (maybe since they rarely use cells as good as bike battery packs do)

B: most of cyclists are obsessively concerned about weight. So battery packs are designed around that pupose, to be light weight.

C: bike light batteries have nothing to be concerned with regarding heat. And they dont charge AS quickly because they play safely as things are much more compact.

D: you cant compare a cheap chinese bike light battery pack to anything brand name and call it all the same. Huge differences.

Tool batteries/tools and bike lights/batteries are each designed for their specific purpose. If you prefer to deal with everything being big and extremely heavy, then power tool based stuff can work for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another factor that makes a tool battery less than attractive as a light source battery is the voltage is too high. 18V would be ideal for a 5 led series configuration light. With fewer emitters the Vf of the LED string drops and the differential between VF and battery voltage increases. As that difference increases the driver becomes less efficient. The Vf of a typical 2 LED bike light is ~6.6V. The driver has to drop >11V difference then. That's huge. The best drivers out there would be around 90% efficient with that much drop. Lower grade drivers would suffer higher losses. Not too many serious users would pleased to lose 10-20% of their battery life to heat.

There are a few LEDs that a tool battery would be a better match with. The 12V version of the XHP series would be more appropriate though a 14.4V pack would still be a better choice.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Led's use around 3 volts per led. You need to run multiple led's or have a resister that burns off and wastes the extra voltage. Tool lights and batteries are not designed to be compact, lite or mount to a bike.
    I do use my 18v batteries to power kids power wheels and other electronics as they are a big reliable battery. We all have them and they can make for great DIY projects. Bike lights would not be on my list.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Light freak

Stem Mounted Tool Battery Holder

Power tool 18v lights on a bike?-bar-mounted-tool-battery.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bar mounted tool battery.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	1174018

Is this something you are printing????