mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Possible housing for Cutter kit?

I've seen a DIY using the Lumicycle.com halogen can, and noticed on their website that you can also buy their halide can which incorporates heatsink fins. Anyone familiar with these cans? Do you know if you could use this can

http://www.lumicycle.com/Product/pro...HALI_CAN&dep=5

with this halogen light cap

http://www.lumicycle.com/Product/pro...HALO_CAP&dep=5

to make a smaller light? Would there be room for the driver and switch? I think it would make a good looking DIY light and probably remain cool if you make I good thermal path to the housing.

mtbr member
    Can you provide some dimensions? Just FYI, I finished a housing for my 3 Cree setup from Cutter today, and it measures just over 1.5" long by 1.6" dia. My housing is pretty rough looking, and I'm hoping to get it looking nicer sometime next week, but I'm no machinist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have not bought one, so I have no dimensions. I emailed them to see if they would provide some more info, but have not heard from them yet. According to the websight the full halide light system is about 80mm long and 43mm dia. That length is including the long cap, I was hoping to use the shorter cap from the halogen light to make it a smaller package.

mtbr member
    The Cutter triple Cree kit is 32mm dia, so you'd have to figure out some way to adapt down to that. I think you might be better off with something else in this case.

Hack Racer
    interesting... The cutter cree kits are designed to fit MR11 halogen housings. So if those "cans" are meant for MR11 halogen bulbs it would fit, but you still need to figure some way of supporting the LED/lens propely as the depth and profile of the LED+LENS does not equal the same depth and profile of a MR11 bulb. For those prices I'm almost tempted to order one of each of those they have there and seeing what would work. Tempting... However I just ordered a Marwi light that uses MR11 bulbs for cheap and going to retrofit the cutter kit in

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    The Cutter triple Cree kit is 32mm dia, so you'd have to figure out some way to adapt down to that. I think you might be better off with something else in this case.
    Its 35mm lens, the heatsink is 32
    live strong or die.