mtbr member

Police bike patrol headlight - bang/buck?

[SIZE="4"]EDIT: Update. Chief is going with LBS and wants choice between MiNewt X2 and Evolution Trail. No brainer for me - X2 all the way. [/SIZE]

We have an older NR Trail Rat that's barely adequate, and the battery is starting to go soft. The setup is great, but we want something brighter and longer lasting.

Criteria:

- Do NOT need any flashing, colors or sirens. NR "Digital Patrol" is out. I know most lights will have a flash mode, but that's incidental. Headlight only needed. High/low beam is good but not a deal breaker.
    - Factory LED light with a bias to NiteRider, but willing to shop (thinking Cygo Rover II or Dual Cross Pro NiMH, others?)
    - Bright handlebar light with simple, fast on/off switching (not wild about multi-step, but a 2-second hold is OK, for example).
    - Enough battery life for a busy 8 hour shift, some on, some off
    - $150 out the door (can probably get ~30% off retail at LBS, *may* have wholesale hookup with QBP)
    - Needs to be durable enough for, in effect, light downhill / heavy all mountain riding. Bikes will be slammed to the ground on occasion and things need to take a few hits, stay attached, and continue to function.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the MiNewt X2 (single). It seems to be a good mix of cost ($190 msrp, can probably get it at $150 or at wholesale), brightness (150 lumens - yeah, I know it's no Lupine or DIY monster), simplicity, runtime, etc. I'm willing to rig a more secure mount system using heavy zip ties vs. the rubber bands.

The DiNotte 200 AA and LiIon series is intriguing and appears to be in the general price range. Is it too "blingtastic" for heavy duty use?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 05-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    My experience with DiNotte is awesome. I had the 200 and the flash mode is... let me put it this way, cars stop when they see it. I swear that even aiming that thing to the floor you can light up every reflective sign 2 blocks in front of you.
    200 lumens, very tough and dependable plus awesome service (and way more reliable than NR imho)
    You can also use it for many other things since it's very light
    oh, and if you go with the AA model, you will never be out of juice since you can get those batteries in any convenience store or gas station if you're out it during your shift

mtbr member
    * scratches chin *

Hmm...

mtbr member
    What about the little mounting straps? I realize it's not too different from the MiNewt, but there's more "exposed" band, and I could see that getting worn out quickly or making it easy to steal the light.

I'll check the reviews, but how easy is it to make a more secure mount system for it? The MiNewt is so close to the bar, a zip-tie system would be easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Dinotte 200L is fantastic, I've been using it for ages. But the AA battery carriage isn't really rainproof. You probably have to wrap a layer of clingwrap around it or maybe a balloon for rainproofing. But the AA option also means you can get regular alkalines or new nimh rechargeables as technology improves.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz541
    What about the little mounting straps? I realize it's not too different from the MiNewt, but there's more "exposed" band, and I could see that getting worn out quickly or making it easy to steal the light.
    Sure, the light would be very easy to steal. The mounting system was designed with easy installation and removal in mind.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    We would like to think some bike cops would be interested in Exposure Lights
    Cable free, lightweight, long burn times, secure mounting, quick release clamps. Would work equally well as a search light/flashlight. You probably don't get the pricing you would like on these but certainly one light brand to consider. IMHO.

Best,
    Steve

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz541

I'll check the reviews, but how easy is it to make a more secure mount system for it? The MiNewt is so close to the bar, a zip-tie system would be easy.
    Any light could be stolen in 3 seconds really but it's so easy to take off that you can take it with you. Other option is putting around the light one of those hose clamps like this one

And attach a BIG zip tie (like the ones you use as handcuff) to the handlebar

As far as waterproof (someone mention), you could use a latex glove or a condom but remember that condoms are only 99% safe

mtbr member
    Update - Chief is going with LBS and wants a choice between Minewt X2 and Evolution Smart.

No brainer - ecks tew. 6/9/15watt halogen vs. 150 lumen LED. 1:45 / 2:20 runtimes on high / med vs. 3:30 on high. NiMH vs. LiIon. 550g vs. 232g.

Anybody have a differing view?

Thanks!