mtbr member

Polar S725X vs. CS600

Wich one is the best choice for mtb?

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Well, it depends on your activity. If you ONLY do cycling, the CS600 may be the best choice. It gives you a lot of detailed info about your ride. But, if you do run, hike, paddle, swim, ski or anything besides cycling, the S725X is more versatile. For instance, you can buy the footpod sensor to measure running distance. I have the S625X which is basically the same as the S725X and I'm very happy, I use it on both of my bikes (MTB & Road), for running and on the swimming pool. Get the S725X, you'll find it very useful.
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Yes, thanks... But I was thinking if the bigger screen of the cs600 wasn't a big benefit...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you only want to use it on your bike then the CS600 is probably the best choice. If you want to be able to use it for other sports or for monitoring your heart rate during resting periods then a watch based solution would be better. As an earlier post mentions, the S625X is basically the same as the S725X but comes with a running sensor instead of a cycling sensor. The interesting thing is that the RN800 is a newer and better HRM for running. It uses the new 2.4GHz W.I.N.D system. This watch does not support cycling. This raises the question of when the S725X will be replaced with a W.I.N.D capable device. Jomashop had the S725X on sale for $231 but is now out of stock.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    They won't replace the S725X with a WIND strap as it's designed to be usable for swimming. WIND devices aren't, as 2.4GHz is too small a wavelength - you're basically putting a signal only 100MHz away from the excitation rate of water through it and expecting it to not be absorbed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the CS600 also uses the WIND 2.4GHz technology so you shouldn't have as many interference issues (not that I have had too many with my 725, but it is noticeable and annoying at times). If you are interested in the polar power setup for your bike - the CS600 uses the new WIND wireless version where you still have to use the wired version with the 725x
    -Ben

Work/reality vs recreation seems to provide a never ending connundrum...