mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Planning triple XP-G, need help

I'm planning on using this as the LED in my next light build. I'll be driving it with a 1000mA dimmable buckpuck.

My question is cooling. From a previous build, I have an aluminum slug approx 21mm dia by about 1.25" long. It fits pretty tightly into an aluminum flashlight that's being used as the host. Do you think that's be enough to keep this thing cool?

This is the flashlight. The pic at the top. Couldn't find any other details.

The only real machining tools I have access to is my dremel and a buddy can use the lathe where he works. Other than that, I'm pretty limited on what I can make myself.

Maybe I can have my buddy cut some fins in the housing on the lathe for some more surface area??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I suggest better housing.
    Some time ago I made a light from this torch (and handmade aluminium slug):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3w-60-l...er-3-aaa-47705
    and weakened quazzle's L332 (triple XPG@0.7A each). While moving, everything's fine, but without moving air the casing gets really HOT in 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    I think you'll struggle with both optics and heat - the 20mm diameter optics that would go with this board (Carclo) tend to be very floody and lack throw, plus you'll need a 4S pack to drive it. Heat might not be too much of an issue (couldn't tell how long that torch was) but it's something to be aware of, especially as you won't have any temperature sensing.

Personally, I'd go for a single XM-L + Laura/ Regina and an Lflex. Better beam, more efficient, cheaper battery.

removing nudity
    Speaking from experience if the host is all al and you get good contact with the slug and both the torch body and the head and you use thermal compound heat will not be an issue but as matt said this will be a floody light and really only good enough for bar lights

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This is going to be used as a bar light to compliment a MS900 on my head. Do you think the triple is overkill for this? I already have a single XP-G at home with optics. I could just use that in this host vs. the triple. Still drive it at 1A for approx. 340 lumens.

Maybe go with a different driver and try out the XM-L at like 2.5ish Amps...Hmm....Or just swap out the single XP-G for a XM-L and still drive at 1A...

What do you think?

mtbr member
    I think as a bar light it would probably work pretty well, but I don't have any experience with those small optics to say for sure.

At 1A I can't see there being a huge difference between an XM-L and a XP-G - even at 1.5A it's only in the 10s of lumens and mW differences. The big plus of the XM-L is the high efficiency at high currents - it seems to have a flatter efficiency curve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just saw that on the cree product chart thing. The XM-L is way more efficient. With the battery that I'm planning on using, using the XM-L instead of XP-G will get me approx 30 min more runtime at 1A. Don't think that's enough to make me switch to the XM-L. It would be a no-brainer if I was running higher current though

removing nudity
    It'll make a great bar light as a triple. That is what my set up is and it is the best bar light I have used so far