TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Planet Bike Alias question

Anyone know if Planet Bike overvolts the 10 watt Alias?

Do It Yourself
    "Overvolting" is sometimes required when the whole system wasn't designed together. For example, when you pull off the shelf display lighting bulbs, it may take more than the rated voltage to get them to run at maximum brightness with a reasonable bulb life. Not the case for Planet Bike though. Their lights are very bright for the given wattage because they have their bulbs custom made just for their purposes. They have engineering a good package matching the right combination of bulb and battery. Adding more voltage to the stock 6V battery is neither required nor desired. I would get the 15W though.
    Long Live Long Rides

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks Homebrew, I noticed Nashbar and Performance have the 10 watt systems on sale, and coupons are available. I figured they overvolted just a little like some of the other manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey TCW, I have a 10w Planet Alias and it's the most underrated light under 100 bucks. I think you can buy it much cheaper than that even. Run time is 2 hrs and the light is amazingly bright and white for a halogen. It looks and feels like good quality light too. Not plastic. Bought mine for 75 bucks. I use it in conjunction w/ another light and it's best suited for the bars as a flood. You'll like it but if you have the funds, get a spot beam light for your helmet too.

MB

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got the Alias SC version (15W) and I agree with MB...great flood and quite cheap in price.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got the Alias and here's what I've learned:

1. Nice and bright, more of a spot-pattern than expected, maybe they've changed the bulb design.
    2. According to candlepower forum the bulb is 4.8v 8 watt, see this:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=109817
    3. The cord is too short for my weird frame (EPX Terrashark carbon) and I'll need to mount it on my seat post or in the water-bottle cage. I sent an email to Planet Bike this morning.
    4. It is birghter than my Nitehawk Nomad 5 watt over volted at 7.2 volts.
    5. It is not as bright as my Nitehawk Nomad 20 watt overvolted at 14.4 volts (1.5 hr burn).
    6. My over-volted 20 watt MR16 set ups are also quite a bit brighter (1.5 hr. burn)
    7. I will provide beam-shot comparisons soon.