Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GeoMan

Good job! Photon Max Extreme (1,350 lumens) from NiteFlux

NiteFlux just announced this new product. We will have it available in early February, 2009.

Photon Max Extreme (click here) at 1,350 lumens

Lighting Modes:
    • 20 watt - High beam 1350 Lumens
    • 12 watt - High beam 800 Lumens
    • 6 watt - Mid beam 530 Lumens
    • 3 watt - Low beam 266 Lumens
    • 6 watt - Flash Mode 530 Lumens

Runtime:
    • 1.5 Hour High beam @ 20 watt
    • 2.6 Hour High beam @ 12 watt
    • 5.3 Hour Mid mode @ 6 watt
    • 10 Hour Low beam @ 3 watt
    • 20 Hour Flash mode @ 6 watt

Charge Time:
    • 4 Hours
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    "forced air" is there a fan??

estimated price?
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Love the look of these lights!
    They look like the Tripod out of War of the worlds!
    Wish i could justify the expense!
    Tommo.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    "forced air" is there a fan??

estimated price?
    "Forced Air" means "directed airflow" through and around the heatsink fins of the lighthead.

Don't know pricing - any day. Will post when available.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Love the look of these lights!
    They look like the Tripod out of War of the worlds!
    Wish i could justify the expense!
    Tommo.
    How can you justify not having one?

They are cool looking and very functional too. We've sold loads of the Photon Max (800 lumens) and everybody's pleased with them.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey Geoman, the battery looks huge! Could you do like a picture next to a dollar bill so we could judge the size. The pictures make it look like a 2 litre soda bottle.

I am assuming the batteries are the same one the current and new model.

Thnx

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    Hey Geoman, the battery looks huge!
    Actually looks pretty small....compare it to the charger plug next to it in the photo. I'm guessing it's a 4 x 18650 Li ion pack.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    Hey Geoman, the battery looks huge! Could you do like a picture next to a dollar bill so we could judge the size. The pictures make it look like a 2 litre soda bottle.

I am assuming the batteries are the same one the current and new model.

Thnx
    Hey WolfBeast,

We don't have any yet but it appears to be the same battery as what the current Photon Max uses - same exact weight.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Am I right in assuming the two upper's are MC-E's, the one lower an R-2?...if so that is one heck of a lot of light..
    Geoman, I know that you always try out the lights that you sell, have you ridden with one of the Proto-types yet? If so so, give us the low down from the light from down under....need I say....BEAM PICS!...
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 01-22-2009 at 03:11 AM.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Am I right in assuming the two upper's are MC-E's, the one lower an R-2?...if so that is one heck of a lot of light..
    Geoman, I know that you always try out the lights that you sell, have you ridden with one of the Proto-types yet? If so so, give us the low down from the light from down under....need I say....BEAM PICS!...
    I haven't laid my hands on one yet. Should be within a couple of weeks...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks promising but runtime isn't good enough. I'd guess they will eventually come up with a bigger or more efficient battery. Looking forward to beamshots though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Looks promising but runtime isn't good enough. I'd guess they will eventually come up with a bigger or more efficient battery. Looking forward to beamshots though.
    I think the 1350lm setting is intended to be considered the boost setting. I doubt that you would need the highest setting except for those all out down-hill runs. If I bought one I would probably end up using the middle setting ( 530lm ) 50% of the time anyway and then use the high mode(s) as I see fit. To nit pick a bit...I would like this light even more if it had easy tilt-ability ( like the Dinottes ). Since it has many modes another cool option would be if there was a (wired) remote that you could mount near your thumb. That way you wouldn't have to keep taking your hands off the bars to change modes. ( ...yes, a minor issue but sure would be nice.. )

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is strange, the same lumens with different LED.
    They say "with the top two LED's up-graded to the latest in Hi-Watt multi chip LED's".
    Even at the same consumption, lumens output must be changed.

PhotonMax
    12 watt - High beam 800 Lumens
    6 watt - Mid beam 530 Lumens
    3 watt - Low beam 266 Lumens

PhotonMaxExtream
    20 watt - High beam 1350 Lumens
    12 watt - High beam 800 Lumens
    6 watt - Mid beam 530 Lumens
    3 watt - Low beam 266 Lumens

About runtime, I also think they should use larger capacity battery with such powerful light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I think the 1350lm setting is intended to be considered the boost setting. I doubt that you would need the highest setting except for those all out down-hill runs. If I bought one I would probably end up using the middle setting ( 530lm ) 50% of the time anyway and then use the high mode(s) as I see fit. To nit pick a bit...I would like this light even more if it had easy tilt-ability ( like the Dinottes ). Since it has many modes another cool option would be if there was a (wired) remote that you could mount near your thumb. That way you wouldn't have to keep taking your hands off the bars to change modes. ( ...yes, a minor issue but sure would be nice.. )
    photo max have a tilt build into the mount. it's easier to tilt and setup compare to dinotte. photo max lighthead itself even lightweight is not seal very well, so I'm sure you'll have electrical issues in rain. dinotte are seal very well with only one circular silcone seal. Worse thing I hate, why I sold it was the power switch on the battery. compare to niterider Trinewt, photo max require removing glove to push on the button to turn on or change modes. Button is recess into the battery pack that requires alot of force to activate it. Unless they change the switch and easy to change like the dinotte, I won't even consider photo max. on the other head, photo max cheap $220( at CRC) and very bright for those who don't care to change modes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddielee70
    photo max have a tilt build into the mount. it's easier to tilt and setup compare to dinotte. photo max lighthead itself even lightweight is not seal very well, so I'm sure you'll have electrical issues in rain. dinotte are seal very well with only one circular silcone seal. Worse thing I hate, why I sold it was the power switch on the battery. compare to niterider Trinewt, photo max require removing glove to push on the button to turn on or change modes. Button is recess into the battery pack that requires alot of force to activate it. Unless they change the switch and easy to change like the dinotte, I won't even consider photo max. on the other head, photo max cheap $220( at CRC) and very bright for those who don't care to change modes.
    Oh Crap! ...the old switch on the battery "F". I didn't know that. ...no where is it mentioned in the Ad. Now about the tilt feature. Looking at the photo of the bar mount I don't see where it tilts, although the helmet mount does look to. The Dinotte 600L is a nice set-up...quick release bar mount with an easy slide on/off rail type mount for easy-pleasy quick removal of the light head without the need to remove the whole bar mount. Not to mention it also has an adjustment for aiming right to left...not that I ever needed it. The up/down tilt on the 600L is on the upper slide mount and is simple to tilt as long as the set screws are not too tight. Geoman, I realize the above comments were about the Photon Max but is the "Extreme" version going to carry over with the switch being on the battery..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Switch on the battery is okay for HID's just as you've got to leave them on and no other mod's, this totally leaves the battery stuck on your bike so you can get to it, no chance to use it head mounted.

I'd prefer 2 x P7's I prefer the colour, the new higher power MC-E's look more yellow than halogens, it's all going the wrong way for me

Still not enough run time for me either, 6 - 7 hour night rides aren't unheard of for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Forgive me and Im not a light pro but I have an MTE 900 lumen flashlight on my bars and two 240 lumen trustfires on my helmet and it looks like Im riding at 2 pm in the day and I have like $60 in all of it.

Whats the reason for paying $400-500 for a lighting system?

Thanks
    P4:13

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    C_Heath, like wise but 400Lumen MC-E + 600Lumen P7 on the bars, and a 700Lumen MC-E and 250Lumen R2 used to generate a hotspot just like this torch on my head

Abit more than $60 all in, but ride slow enough and the ground is dry when you get there

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Heath
    Forgive me and Im not a light pro but I have an MTE 900 lumen flashlight on my bars and two 240 lumen trustfires on my helmet and it looks like Im riding at 2 pm in the day and I have like $60 in all of it.
    I'm so glad you asked this question.
    I''m not a bike pro but I have a trusty steel rigid singlespeed which rides like a dream and I have like $500 in all of it.

What's the reason for paying $5000-$5500 for a bike (like a Trek Fuel with XTR...)?

(I hope I answered your question... :-))

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Why pay $400 to $500 or more for a light system?

For me it comes down to:

1. Reliability
    2. Weight
    3. Purpose built
    4. Less things on my bars (instead of 3-4 flashlights)
    5. Easier to charge/maintain
    6. Nicer looking

Flashlights are an option though - I have been known to run L2D's on the helmet and bars before, just not anymore.

mtbr member

Thanks
    ...other than having more usable switching modes, a more brighter constant total output, choice of optics...*sometimes... longer run times with out battery switch out, I really couldn't tell you...Oh Crap.... I think I just did..
    Nothing wrong with the set-up you have mind you as long as it works for you and you are satisfied. Just keep in mind that the MTE P-7 torch is giving you between 600 to 450lm during the first hour ( on one 2500mah 18650 cell ). The combined output from the other two is probably somewhere around 450 to 400lm for the first 1.75hr. Not a bad set-up actually.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Thanks
    Because I can..................

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    old photon max version brand new for $200 at CRC, except they don't have any in stock. photon max mounted on helmet doesn't slide off easily like dinotte, so it's fixed unless you undo the straps. overall, I like the power of the photon max for the price of $220 I bought it for, just really hate the switch. so I ended with a 800L for rainy days and my own self build lights for dry days.

GeoMan
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 02-04-2009 at 05:08 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Actually despite being a Torch user i'm SERIOUSLY impressed by this for the price, it's MUCH cheaper than I expected, if the exchange rate ever gets near 2:1 again to the UK then I'll be having me 1 of these!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast