mtbr member

OverTheHill Helmet Light

This light thing has got to me so much that I have bought a lathe now. This is my first attempt so I wanted to keep it simple. I had some XP-Gs on 10mm square MCPCB and some Ledil LXP Real Spot optics laying about (as you do) so decided to produce a new helmet light for myself.

I machined an integral mounting on the backplate to fit a helmet bracket that I bought from a bicycle retailer in the UK (Halfords). I also made up a battery case using plastic overflow pipe similar to a previous version but I incorporated a clicky on-off switch in the end to allow the light to be switched on and off.

The controller is a cheap DX 3V-18V (SKU26110) driving at 1A that I have used successfully in all of my lights to date. I have used this setup in several other lights and gives 350 lumens on paper and a run time of around 2 hours 15 minutes using one Trustfire 18650 2500 mAh cell.

I quite liked the way it turned out so I made some more for my friends. I may have a think about doing something similar, maybe a double using the Regina reflector in future.

Well, youíve got to keep busy havenít you?

recognize the slowness
    I like the batt holder and switch setup!

If I do a helmet version of Quazzle's engine, I want something simple and light like this for sure...

any specs on that part???

DOH...read more carefully and you list some parts. Is that a bike tube over for H2O proofing??
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbflyfshr
    I like the batt holder and switch setup!

If I do a helmet version of Quazzle's engine, I want something simple and light like this for sure...

any specs on that part???

DOH...read more carefully and you list some parts. Is that a bike tube over for H2O proofing??
    I'll post a diagram tomorrow on the battery holder with a parts list if you like. Yes, it is a bike tube on this version because it was working prototype but for my friends' lights I used heat shrink tubing.

mtbr member

Battery Case

As promised here is a diagram of the battery case. The main case is built from a length of 22mm plastic overflow pipe which is available from plumbing suppliers here in the UK and fits an 18650 battery almost perfectly. The plastic end caps are supposed to be for the bottoms of chair legs and luckily are a nice tight fit to the 22mm pipe.

The silicone end cap and clicky switch are available from DX. I turned up the switch housing slug from a piece of aluminium on my lathe but it would be relatively easy to fabricate a similar item from a piece of plastic using just hand tools I think.

The Ėve battery spring is cut from a standard AA battery case and cut to a circle to fit into the 22mm pipe. I didnít bother to fix it to the pipe as the pressure from the cell one side and the cable the other keeps it nicely in place.

I fixed the plastic end caps in place using electrical tape before covering the whole thing with a length of old inner tube for the outer cover on the prototype but heat shrink tubing on subsequent versions which gives a much neater finish.

mtbr member

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Fantastic little light. I found the Ledil LXP to be a great little optic. Have fun with the lathe

help with the zip please
    Really neat setup. !

Do you remove the battery to charge it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Really neat setup. !

Do you remove the battery to charge it?
    No, I originally modified my DX charger to include a DC socket like EL34s here:

http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights22.htm

I now use a Turnigy Accucell-6 charger. As it is just a single cell there are no balancing issues so they both basically do the same job. There's much less messing about and you can make sure the battery holder is fully waterproofed if there is no need to remove the cell to charge each time.

recognize the slowness
    What is the run time you get from the single cell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbflyfshr
    What is the run time you get from the single cell?
    You must have missed this from my original post:

The controller is a cheap DX 3V-18V (SKU26110) driving at 1A that I have used successfully in all of my lights to date. I have used this setup in several other lights and gives 350 lumens on paper and a run time of around 2 hours 15 minutes using one Trustfire 18650 2500 mAh cell.

recognize the slowness
    ADD taking over...

Thanks for the re-post. That is a really decent run time from one batt!!

Nice work!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    OTH I like the light and I think the battery holder is quite clever. Like you I just bought a lathe but I can't figure out how to lift 500 lbs. to the benchtop. This DIY light thing is akin to an addiction.

mtbr member
    very nice. i have also used plumbing pipe. lately i like broken broom handle (aluminum) with wine corks.
    i have been thinking about a helmet light. i kinda wanted to do a dyno light that i can slide out of a mount on my bike and slide into a helmet mount. but what i like about your design is that i could use it on all my bikes. i already keep a rear blinky on my helmet. i suppose i could integrate the two...
    good work! thanks for sharing and thanks for the inspiration.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    nice light! i like it!

cheers Karsten

mtbr member
    I really like the battery holder (and the light too).

Were these the switches you used?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5588

mtbr member
    I used the 16mm switch. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5632

Initially I used some pvc tubing and bottle caps to build the housing, but it's possible to mount it without any casing around the cell. Just some shrink tube. Makes it smaller and lighter.

Simple Light - "The Miner" build videos

OverTheHill use off inner tube is genius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    I really like the battery holder (and the light too).

Were these the switches you used?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5588
    Yes. I originally purchased them some time ago to see what they were like but before I had the lathe I couldn't work out how to use them. Now I think they are perfect for my purpose. They give a nice positive on-off clicking action and can also be used momentary as well I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir
    OverTheHill use off inner tube is genius
    Thanks for the credit but it's hardly innovative. I got the idea from somebody else on here I think which is one of the main benefits of a forum like this.

The hardest thing with using inner tube is getting just the right diameter tube to be a snug fit but not so tight that it is too difficult to move down the case. It takes a bit a of trial and error.