mtbr member

Over-driving Niterider "digital" headlamps

Question........
    If you take a 6v halogen Niterider lamp (like a Digital Headtrip 1.0, or a Digital Evolution) that has the LED fuel gauge, multi-level settings, and battery-protecting auto shutoff features, how will it work if you mate it to a third party battery that's over-volted and/or has a higher capacity (like Batteryspace's 7.2v, 4200mAh)?

ballbuster

I would think...

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    Question........
    If you take a 6v halogen Niterider lamp (like a Digital Headtrip 1.0, or a Digital Evolution) that has the LED fuel gauge, multi-level settings, and battery-protecting auto shutoff features, how will it work if you mate it to a third party battery that's over-volted and/or has a higher capacity (like Batteryspace's 7.2v, 4200mAh)?
    ... it's circuitry can deal with it, since a 6v battery can be 7.5-8 volts just off a fresh charge. I've run a 14.4v battery on my 13.2v Digital 12e light system and it works just fine. The gauge will probably be off, and it will let the battery go more flat before it goes into power save mode, tho. I would watch that. Running a battery too low will shorten its life.

More capacity just means it will run longer. On my light, you're supposed to charge it through a port on the light, and the circuitry deals with it all, but I charge mine through another charger. I think it gets its 'fuel gauge' info from this as well. If you charge it through another charger, the gauge will probably be off. no biggie.

As always, this is just an undereducated guess. Your mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The lamp should be fine, it will shorten bulb life a bit. That is a mr11 correct?

I would consider rewiring it, geting a 12v bulb and run it at 14.4.

I run my nitrider digital on the bars at 14.4v and get lots of power. you can adapt any mr11 bulb to a niterider with a bead of caulk around the bulb near the rim (let the caulk dry before installing it) it also helps to use aluminum tape on the back to direct more heat and light forward. I use the niterider 20W bulb (until it burns out then I will go to a 20w batteryspace bulb) and a Batteryspace mr11 15W spot. These spot bulbs are good on the bars but should be great on the helmet.
    I run a 14.4 3.6 AH battery for a robot vacum -$36 from all-batteries.com

I get at least 2 hours at 15 w and 1:40 at 20w- .

I also run a 20 W MR 16 similar to the pondscum on the helmet- I can ride about as fast at night as I do during the day.

The nice thing about this setup is that you can use your 14.4 or 18v drill batteries in a pinch for an hour of light.

Hope this helps
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX