Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320

    OT - and now for something completely different

    So, apologies to fellow light geeks, but this isn't about a light. This my friends, is about making a Go Diego Go/ Calico Critters Jungle Rescue Treehouse for both my daughters' birthdays this weekend!

    I wanted to put this up as I think it's pretty neat, I've spent a bucket load of time on it instead of making my next light and also to thank Of'roadbent who generously contributed to paint, screws, hinges etc.

    Anyway, if anyone's still reading, here's the start:

    the base


    raw materials for the tree


    cutting the outline


    outline done


    slots cut and standing up


    the holes and starting the platforms


    another platform


    and from a different angle


    annoyingly I forgot the memory card in the camera, so the rest of the photos will have to wait until tomorrow. My wife Ingrid's done some hammocks and tents and tonight all I have left to do are some rope ladders. I hope the girls will be pleased!

  2. #2
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,465
    Very cool. Got to ask, where are going to install LED's?


    ***

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    thanks! Not sure yet, but I'd love to add some string LEDs or mini dome lights (same with their home made doll house). I'm sure there's lots available for the doll house market, I just haven't looked into it

  4. #4
    removing nudity
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    thanks! Not sure yet, but I'd love to add some string LEDs or mini dome lights (same with their home made doll house). I'm sure there's lots available for the doll house market, I just haven't looked into it
    The lights start about half way down the artesania section on this page and not, strangley enough, in the lighting section.

    Cool work on the treehouse, when I saw the first sheet of ply I thought, damn his kids must be small or its more of a shrub house.

    Be careful though Matt or you'll set their expectations pretty high for when they get older.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    holy macaroni, I just did a quick google search for dollhouse lights and I was knocked down by how much they cost! I wouldn't spend that much on real lights. I guess they'll just have to use their imagination

    As for expectations, I'm trying to make the most of them being young and innocent - I don't even want to think about dealing with the "I want a car" deal! My youngest (3yrs on Tuesday) can already use my wife's iphone without any trouble

    more pics tomorrow, with real live kids next to it over the weekend..

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,376
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    My youngest (3yrs on Tuesday) can already use my wife's iphone without any trouble
    +1.

    I was surprised to see my granddaughter (2.5 yrs) navigating my son's android phone to play nursery rhymes. Heck, I have trouble with that stuff!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,697
    Those scale lights aren't really appreciated by kids. Play value is better. A string of LED Christmas white lights along the cutouts perimeter (hides the laminations, too!) would stun them.

    As for combining Monty Python and cycling, hmmm Office of Silly Riders, nah, guess some of the hipster fixie crowd have that covered. Bike shop without any bikes or parts? We have one, well it isn't open (months with the sign) and there are a couple of bikes in there, but no apparent parts. Nude cyclists? Been done. Dead Mongoose sketch? Been done. So guess it is time for something completely different!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Those scale lights aren't really appreciated by kids. Play value is better. A string of LED Christmas white lights along the cutouts perimeter (hides the laminations, too!) would stun them.

    As for combining Monty Python and cycling, hmmm Office of Silly Riders, nah, guess some of the hipster fixie crowd have that covered. Bike shop without any bikes or parts? We have one, well it isn't open (months with the sign) and there are a couple of bikes in there, but no apparent parts. Nude cyclists? Been done. Dead Mongoose sketch? Been done. So guess it is time for something completely different!
    This looks like a job for Bicycle Repair Man!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,020
    Or the bicycle tour: Goes on a bit...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grad9m2K5g0

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    I'm glad people got the reference - it was either that or "I'm just going out now, I may be some time" (there was a hilarious Penguin biscuit advert about that years back, can't find it though).

    Here's my all time favourite Python sketch:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_j...eature=related

    It has me in tears, EVERY SINGLE TIME!

    Now, I better get off and do some work..

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,296
    Nice craftsmanship there.
    Woodworking tools for working on wood? Next time make the tree out of Ali so you can use it as a heat sink.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,697
    Oh yes, Big Gus!

    Well since the topic is being completely different, the instructing the guards scene from The Holy Grail, is one of my favorites. Reminds me of some drivers round here....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Goldigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Bet thats not for your daughter.. its really a stand to display all your DIY lights on, hence all the shelves..

    At least it can double up as a xmas tree!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Nice craftsmanship there.
    Woodworking tools for working on wood? Next time make the tree out of Ali so you can use it as a heat sink.

    thanks! It's quite refreshing using the correct tools for the job for once

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    so, a bit of a jump from one step to the other, now mostly assembled


    lots of different views








    and after my wife (mostly) and I (a bit) have cutesied it up






    notice the fish (that wasn't me!)


    and the tents (ditto)


    and that's it! 6mths in the planning (it was supposed to be for Christmas, but I ran out of time) and 2wks of working on it every night. I'm pretty chuffed, hopefully the girls will be. I'll post up some pics of them when they get it, should give a good idea of scale

  16. #16
    removing nudity
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,221
    and now you're just showing off.

    Very nice work Matt

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    Bet thats not for your daughter.. its really a stand to display all your DIY lights on, hence all the shelves..
    well, like any flat surface around my house, it'll end up with stuff on it quickly enough. It would actually be pretty neat for my wargaming models (only have 2 lights, so that would look a bit lame), but small children + 6mm scale resin/ plastic models = disaster, so I'll probably skip that

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    and now you're just showing off.

    Very nice work Matt
    sorry, can't help myself I just love working with wood, I have a much greater empathy with it than metal. Must have been a carpenter in a former life..

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    sorry, can't help myself I just love working with wood, I have a much greater empathy with it than metal. Must have been a carpenter in a former life..
    Yeah. Love the smell of sawdust in the morning. It's good for our houses that it is a poor conductor of heat. Flammable and a poor heat sink material make it a very poor choice for high power LED housings.

    Here's hoping your daughters don't have friends like the boy next door in Toy Story II.

  20. #20
    removing nudity
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Here's hoping your daughters don't have friends like the boy next door in Toy Story II.
    It's alright Brian, its for Dora and Diego, not a Combat Carl

  21. #21
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,465

    I am not always making aluminum chips either...

    Very cool Matt. The amount of joy and satisfaction you will receive when seeing your daughter play with it will be unmeasurable!!

    The reason I asked where the LED's were going is because I got the "Dad, will you build me a castle bed?" request a while back. Wanted to incorporate LED's into it, but just couldn't figure out anything cool except lighting in the bed area. Then I dreamed up some crown valances for her windows that use some LED Christmas lights as the jewels. I incorporated a photo sensor so they turn on and off automatically by the light. Runs off rechargeable 9V batteries.






    ***

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •