discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005

Original magicshine, where does the wire go.....

Hi
    Last night my early generation Magicshine failed to light.
    Today I found the positive lead came of the board inside.
    The board is labeled MJ-259
    I am not sure where the positive lead would go...perhaps to the other side of the component that the negative goes to....?
    TIA
    Happy Thanksgiving
    CDT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You should be able to see cold solder marks where the lead came off if you look close enough. A better picture would help to. Less grainy and shot from the top of the board not from the side. But you're right, it belongs to the other side of the component where the black wire is soldered to.

Already discussed here on MTBR
    Last edited by Toaster79; 11-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Jun 2005
    Thanks Toaster...that was my first instinct but I didnt want to blow it up!!!!

Jun 2005
    Got my friend to solder it since he has the magnifier, hands free clamps etc etc.
    At first we had 1.0 v on the battery, and nothing worked. I took it home to charge..
    Plugged it in and got nothing. I figured it was shot...Voltage was ok.. then it wasnt.
    I think if your not very careful and you short the battery pins , a safety kicks in.
    Once I was sure I had the 8.4 V I checked the light again. It appears I also have a bad wire
    at the connector on the light head side as it goes on and off with a jiggle on that side.

I am going to put a pair of Deans on and see how that goes. I am not giving up on this little light!
    CDT

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The circuit boards in the battery packs were prone to breaking leads, just like what happened inside your light head. Take the battery apart and check all the solder joints.

And yes - shorting can trip the protection in the battery pack, which won't wake back up until it is connected to a charger again.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    The circuit boards in the battery packs were prone to breaking leads, just like what happened inside your light head. Take the battery apart and check all the solder joints.

And yes - shorting can trip the protection in the battery pack, which won't wake back up until it is connected to a charger again.

I put on some Deans just now, and it seems like everything is back to normal..
    Oh wait.
    I need to put Deans on the charger...and the extension cord.....

CDT

... The battery pack is a hard shell geoman...I wont take that apart - just yet.................