RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007

Optics for the Luxeon Rebel?

Are there any optics for the new triple LED Luxeon Rebel Star? Having trouble trying to find optics for this new super powerful compact LED. Here is a link if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.luxeonstar.com/sub_catego...&link_str=1430

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    The products you have linked to are produced by LED Dynamics, and feature either one or three Rebels mounted on a star. Stating the obvious I know, but bear with me.

Currently the only optics that I know of for the Rebel are produced by Carclo, which are 20mm units. The also have holders that clip over he package, holding the optic in place.

Now for the problem, with the LED Dynamics stars the Rebel appears to be offset, and some of the products feature multiple Rebels. You should be able to use the holder and/or maybe just the optic on a Star with a single rebel, but not with a triple Rebel Star, as you just won’t have the room.

If you’re interested in trying to focus the light from a triple Rebel Star, it may be possible to use a reflector, but I think you’d be doing a hell of a lot of sanding to get anything in to focus. The die in the Rebel sits very low in the package, so you would definitely have some serious work cut out for you to make things work nicely.

There are a few smaller reflectors available that may work pretty easily with a single rebel with a slight bit of work too.

Cheers, Dave.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Ya I found those Carclo optics when I was searching for some an didn't think they would work with the triple setup.

I am really interested in seeing if it is possible to get something to work with the triple. 540 lumens at 700 mA out of a single 20mm star??!! Could make one hell of a bright double or one hell of a compact single!

I don't have any experience with creating or modifying lenses or optics so I think I might have to wait till one becomes available or just use a standard Seoul or Cree setup.

How do you think the rebel compares to the top of the line Cree and Seoul LED'S?

Thanks for the help and advise.

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey
    Ya I found those Carclo optics when I was searching for some an didn't think they would work with the triple setup.

I am really interested in seeing if it is possible to get something to work with the triple. 540 lumens at 700 mA out of a single 20mm star??!! Could make one hell of a bright double or one hell of a compact single!

I don't have any experience with creating or modifying lenses or optics so I think I might have to wait till one becomes available or just use a standard Seoul or Cree setup.

How do you think the rebel compares to the top of the line Cree and Seoul LED'S?

Thanks for the help and advise.
    Sincerely, I think that rebel led he doesn't measure up to his rivals, moreover how are very little, this are very dificult to solder and handle...

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    The Rebel is a great emitter, but generally it isn’t really suitable for our application. It's cheap, bright, efficient, and has a small package size that is easily attached to custom MCPCB’s with reflow soldering techniques as commonly used in the industry. Unfortunately some of these qualities along with others make it unsuitable for use in most portable lighting applications, and difficult to manage for us as hobbyists.

What I find promising is some of the manufacturing techniques and new technology that is now being used in the Rebel emitters, or has recently been mentioned by Lumileds in their documentation and various press releases. I have noticed the Rebel has developed considerably over time and as newer bins have been released, with different techniques and technology being used. This is not to say that Cree and Seoul haven’t also made improvements from time to time like adding extra bond wires to the die and playing with light extraction coatings and phosphors, but we’re yet to see Lumileds come out with a larger packaged emitter utilising the promising technology they have shown in the Rebel.

It’s incredibly difficult to compare emitters or bins between manufacturers, but Lumileds certainly have a great emitter in the Rebel. It’s just a shame it’s a little tricky (but certainly not impossible) for us to make use of it!

While you can certainly make use of either a single Rebel or an array of them, until Lumileds come out with their next generation emitters I think as hobbyists the Cree XR-E and Seoul P4 are much more suitable for our needs.

I found those Carclo optics when I was searching for some and didn't think they would work with the triple setup.
    I have also found that Polymer Optics have a few optics and holders for the Rebel too.

The only way I can see that you’ll be able to make use of the light from that triple emitter Rebel Star is by using a reflector, and experimenting by opening / removing material from the rear of the reflector until you get things in focus. I have no idea what your best starting point is, but you will be up for quite a challenge.

Dave.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    I really appreciate all the feedback. I am new to lights and have just been doing a little research to see what is available out there. Sounds like I would be smart to back off the rebel and make a nice 3 lens Seoul or Cree light. Maybe once I have a little experience under my belt I'll tackle the triple rebel but it doesn't sound like something I have the time or experience to make work.

Thanks again.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    You may be interested in having a look at some of the threads over at the Candle Power Forums, as a few guys have been playing with the Rebels and have successfully modified reflectors to work with single emitters.

I really don’t want to sound discouraging! The Rebel is still an emitter that is worth playing with, and I have a number of ideas myself that I’m itching to try. However a Seoul or Cree based light would be a great way to familiarise yourself with what’s required and get your hands dirty. There are plenty of projects based on these emitters here on the boards as you would have noticed.

Keep on reading and see how you go.

Dave.

mtbr member

just curious...

does the narrow angle mixer beam assebly work with the star shown above from poly optics limited ?

thanks

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    No idea!

There are limited dimensions for the star but even so I’m not too sure that it would. It would probably be pretty close though.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about playing around with a triple star rebel and modifying it into a topeak white lite DX.
    Of course that's after I upgrade my exisitng lights to Q/R series cree's and building a couple more. So I'll probably never get around to the rebel, but it's a thought.

mtbr member
    That looks like a nice small package, but as others have said, it is a little hard to work with. Also, the highest output I see listed is 480 lumens at 700mA. I think you be much better off playing with one of the triple cree PCBs from Cutter, link below:

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut651

Yes, it is bigger than the rebel unit, but you have much better optic choices and the extra size will help with the heat dissapation. Also, depending on which bin you choose, you will get a more efficient setup.

Good luck,
    Mark

mtbr member
    The interesting thing about the 3 emitter version is they offer an RGB flavor. I wonder what the output would look like on the trail (if the optics were available of course)

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Iíve been intending to start a thread with some information and a few interesting links about RGB, RAGB and other colour mixes for a while. I might get my act together and post a new thread soon.

A single RGB star may not be overly exciting as far as total luminous flux is concerned, but it would be really exciting to play with in terms of colour temperature and colour rendering, provided that you could find a suitable way to focus the light produced.

The human eye and the brain respond quite differently in the perception of brightness depending on colour temperature, and RGB lighting offers distinct advantages not just in adjustable colour temperature but in colour rendering also.

Dave.

yps
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Could this be usuable to mount a Rebel in center, and use standard LED optics ?

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power...100_49_85.html

/Magnus

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by yps
    Could this be usuable to mount a Rebel in center, and use standard LED optics ?

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power...100_49_85.html

/Magnus
    Yes and not, you could mount the luxeon Rebel there, but you don't could use standards optics, only specific optics, moreover, are you able to solder the luxeon Rebel?? I think that solder that led are very difficult....

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but are there any new developments on this?