Thread: Optics??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Optics??

Anyone have any optics that they are willing to part with?

I am building my first light and would love to find something that will not take weeks to get here.

I am building a triple light with the XR-E (P3 bin) LED's.

I have contacted Cutter but they have a 20 piece minimum. Any one want to split an order??
    Last edited by greg de taos; 06-24-2010 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You might look here.

http://ledsupply.com/carclo-optics-xre.php

http://ledsupply.com/creexre.php

I have had good luck buying from them

mtbr member
    As Vancbiker says, ledsupply are great.

I am in the UK and they still manage to get things to me in 2 days.

PRETENDURO
    I can vouch for LedSupply. Although their prices may seem high, their service is top-notch, and their customer support doesn’t leave you out in the cold, naked, in the snow, for weeks on end like that big discount electronics company in China whose name I mentioned in another thread…
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos

I am building my first light and would love to find something that will not take weeks to get here.

I have contacted Cutter but they have a 20 piece minimum. Any one want to split an order??
    You already got the XR-Es? - What sort of output are you expecting from a triple?

I've had a look because of the price, but wonder if it would be better to go with something newer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    LED supply does seem to have everything I need and here in the states. I don't think the prices are too bad but I have little to nothing to compare to

I don't know about the XR-E's. I do have them.

I am shooting in the dark (ha) after lurking around here for a while and reading a number of websites. I tend to ride out in the deep wilderness around my home and need a fairly heavy duty light.
    What would you use? I did design it so that I could swap out optics, should I figure a way to be able to swap LEDs?
    I am using aluminum 1" square tubing with 1/16th in sidewall. tig welded together. I have a buck puck driver that I soldered a dimmer into, it lights up and dims, so small victory.

I used to build radios for fun so a bike light seems like a natural progression.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Depending how hard you drive them, I guess you'll get 200ish each on those?

My last build was with a single P7 which I'm really happy with, but do fancy doing a multiple next time.

Currently thinking XPE due to the price point, although if you want to spend a little more, then maybe MCE?

(I'll let someone who knows more give a better answer ;-)

I really don't know anything about optics, but I guess you need to decide what kind of beam/angle you want etc first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Funny I own the place and I am not aware we have a 20 pc min?
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member

Cutter will ship single items.
    I would toss the P3 XREs and pony up for some R2s. Two R2s are brighter than three P3s.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights