mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. One Light Comparison...TriNewt vs LnM Arc Li-ion

Everyone,
    Throughout this forum everyone has chimed in on various lights. I am looking for a head to head comparison between the NiteRider TriNewt and the Light N Motion Arc Li-ion models (forgive me if it is buried somewhere in here, I couldn't find it). I am looking for pics of beam shots as well as first hand experiences (good and bad). Ideally, I am looking for a helmet mount solution and for riding technical New England single track at a moderate to fast pace. At somepoint I am likely to be purchasing a Lupine Wilma or Betty but I have an oppurtunity to get either of the above mentioned models at a significant cost savings (for about $250-$275). Thanks for your help in advance...

Dan

UFO Bike Commander
    My complete set of beamshots for my NR MiNewt X2's and my TriNewt can be found here.

It was done with a handheld camera and no special settings... so they're a little blurry, but you can see the difference for yourself.

TriNewt on low

TriNewt on Hi

beam(dot)to/ufobike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, the only advanatage the Trinewt has is that it has the inherent advantages of a LED light. However, it is quite a bit heavier heavier for the helmet (around 220 versus ~170), less bright, and not as impressive a beam as the ARC. NR also has a history of reliability problems (that they may be trying to address) so that sways me away from any of their lights. They already had problems with the Trinewt chargers lately.

That said, many prefer the benefits of the LEDs so it isn't a bad light and has a really good lens. I used the ARC for a while and have now moved to a Wilma and soon-to-arrive Betty as well. If it's going to be a temporary light (let's say 12-18 months) go for the ARC. It will give you much better light than the Trinewt. The Trinewt has a really good beam so I'm not saying it sucks. The beam in nice and even and pretty wide. The ARC will still be wider and have a longer reach and brighter output. I normally tell people to get a LED light that is easily upgradeable but if it's a temporary light you will use for a year or two before getting the really high-end stuff, the ARC makes sense, especially given NR's reliability record. Give them a year or so to work out the bugs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I never tried a TriNewt but I read good stuff about it, though as Flyer mentioned there is a not so good reliability record. But the ARC, I own one and I totaly recommend it for whatever kind of ride you do. Itīs tough built, proven design, and has a very, very good beam, with lots of peripheral light and a perfect spot. The ARCīs helmet mount (the "Cabeza") is one of the best in the business, everyone loves it. Thereīs no way you will be disappointed opting for the ARC. Some HIDs are still a better choice than some LEDs, as in this case (at least IMHO). Sometimes going for the latest technology doesnīt necessarily mean going for the best product.