mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Old School Lights

The very first bike lights that I ever put together were for a 24 hour race in Canberra in 2002 and they consisted of a couple of 12 V, 20W halogen downlights painted black and attached to the bars with a couple of hose clamps. The power source was a 12 V SLA battery that used to slot into a drink bottle holder. I had one wide angle which I used for singletrack and one narrow beam that I used on fire tracks. I had no headlamp (didn't need one) and I would from time to time have both lights on at once and this would blow the guys using Vistalites (they were the light of choice back then) out of the water!!

I then progressed to turning up some housings and using 6 V globes which were a bit smaller and the battery was upgraded from the SLA to a NiMH battery that I put together myself. I also used some plastic conduit fittings at one stage and mucked around with lots of configurations. I even put together an LED headlamp in a 35 mm film canister in 2003 (some of the younger members probably won't know what a 35 mm film canister is......this was back in the olden days!!).

Anyway, I found a few photos and thought I would put them on here for a laugh and then hopefully in the coming months I will be able to post something up that is a bit more modern once I get off my arse and put together a light using some Cree LEDs.

Gags
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School Lights-light%2520v3-sla.jpg  

Old School Lights-light%2520v3-2.jpg  

Old School Lights-light%2520v5-batt.jpg  

Old School Lights-light%2520v7-1.jpg  

Old School Lights-light%2520v8-1.jpg  

Old School Lights-ledlamp3.jpg  

Old School Lights-light%2520v4-4.jpg  

Old School Lights-pvc%2520led-2.jpg  

Old School Lights-light%2520v4-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good effort! ... i gave up trying with halogen years ago,
    the cost of hulking great big batteries and lamps were way too much for my meagre budget!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That brings back memories. I remember reading The Fat Hippies DIY Light write up in one of the Aussie MTB mags in the early 2000's and my first attempt used 12V 20W halogens and small baked bean tins as housings. Actually worked well. The brick (battery) hung under my seat. I've still got the page on the web somewhere for some reason, (should really kill it off). It's actually a bit embarrassing !!!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/richa...DIY_Lights.htm

A few internet threads stand out from the old days. The first was a marathon in the aussie 26inches.com forum. It was the early days of LEDS and I can't remember the actual numbers but people were debating if 100 lumens was too much light. Interestingly though there was also some debate about using red LEDS as they better matched the receptors in your eyes. Can't remember the details but always thought that this may come back in later years as people explored all angles. The next was the marathon thread in the UK Singletrack Forum which started with the DIY LED light in the 35mm film canister using a pile of artic silver as the heat sink. Final two that stand out was the DIY Dinotte thread here and of course the early Sir Achesalot designs. It's come a long way relatively fast !! I made a few square versions of the DIY Dinotte and they are still going strong. Actually had to use them the other night as I lent one of my "shop" bought lights to a mate who had no lights. Might bring em to the MONT

Light freak

Those were the days....

Got my start building lights with my Pond Scum Halogen light build

Ovevolting was shizzle back then

Now building my Amoeba lights with the latest Cree XP-G2 and XM-L2 LED's. Been a fun ride.

banned
    Aug 2012

I like the look of these.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO View Post
    Good effort! ... i gave up trying with halogen years ago,
    the cost of hulking great big batteries and lamps were way too much for my meagre budget!
    Looks awesome man. How much entire setup costs you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree, looks great

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by daza View Post
    I agree, looks great
    I must admit that those particular lights were my favourite!!

I used bare 12 V halogen downlight globes with one narrow and one wide beam - both 20W and about $5 each. I then attached switches to the back that were about $2 each and used a couple of hose clamps at right angles to attach to the bars (about $0.80 each or something). All I did to the globe was mask off the front and the pins on the rear and then spray painted it matt black. I also used a short strip of inner tube between the clamp and the glass globe to make sure that it didn't get crushed.

They were awesome lights and I seem to recall that they were much more yellow than today's LED offerings and I reckon that this was better for picking up the trail at night. The wide angle one was perfect for singletrack and I didn't even use a helmet light (there was no need) as the throw of light was pretty good.

Just thinking out loud - I wonder how a similar system would go these days but replacing the SLA battery with a modern Lithium pack???