mtbr member

Old jet lite dual beam system - need battery!!

Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me. I have an 8 year old jet dual beam bar system (12/20) and the battery has quit on me. New batteries from jet are ridiculously priced. I believe the old battery is a 13.2 v 3800 battery.

Can I get a replacement battery from battery space? On their site they offer a waterbottle style 13.2v 5800 or something. Would this work? This stuff is all very confusing....I also read something in previous threads about new connectors and such.

Could someone please show me the way. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Overkill; 05-31-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Light freak
    I have a 7 year old Phantom helmet mounted light. I bought a 14.4v battery and smart charger from BatterySpace for around $70. The jump up from 13.2v to 14.4v will give you some brighter light at the cost of a little bulb life. The batttery I got was a 5 amp hour battery so it increased run times as well. You can choose between water bottle or pack battery.

mtbr member
    Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question - how do the connections work? Will the connectors from my jet lites fit in the new battery or do you need to you their connector and fit it on your old connector? Not sure if that makes sense.

Do they also sell replacement bulbs for that system?

Would this be all I need?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3261

Light freak
    Oops. Sorry I didn't give you all the answers the first time. The battery comes with a nice waterproof female connector on it that is different from the Jet connector. You also get a male connector with the battery/charger combo that you just have to splice onto your Jet cable. Here is the one I got http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2462. The Jet bulbs are top quality and pricey! You can get them from Jet directly or I got one from UniversalCycles.com.

Do It Yourself
    You can also roll your own:

DIY Lights: How to build your own battery

I think the Batteryspace cells are junk (cheap generic cells) and much prefer high quality cells like Sanyo. Also the Batteryspace battery will be much heavier than the stock Jet which uses 4/3A cells. 2.6 lbs (42oz.) verses 1.3 lbs for 13.2V 4/3A (11 x 55g), so about twice the weight of stock. You can get the same 4/3A cells in up to 4500mAh. I don't know if they are the best source but I've used Battery Station in the past. They still have 4000mAh Sanyo 4/3A cells with Tabs for $4 each ($44 for 11 cell 13.2V).

http://www.batterystation.com/nicads.htm

The Jet uses a 2.5mmx5.5mm DC power connector. I would stick with some decent sized wiring, around 18 AWG. I know Digikey carries these (part numbers listed in the link above) but there may be other sources as well.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me. I have an 8 year old jet dual beam bar system (12/20) and the battery has quit on me. New batteries from jet are ridiculously priced. I believe the old battery is a 13.2 v 3800 battery.

Can I get a replacement battery from battery space? On their site they offer a waterbottle style 13.2v 5800 or something. Would this work? This stuff is all very confusing....I also read something in previous threads about new connectors and such.

Could someone please show me the way. Thanks.
    As long as the voltage matches, and you have either equal or more milliamperes, you should be OK, so a 13.2 V 5800 mAh will give you the same brightness and a longer run time than a 13.2 V 3800 mAh. If your current battery is really dead you can just use the old connector. The charger should also be compatible if it's the same type of battery- NiMH replacing NiMH, or NiCD replacing NiCD. If you're going from NiCD to NiMH and the charger is automatic I'm not sure if the auto shut-off will work correctly. The important thing is not to overcharge a battery. That dramatically lowers its life.
    To the troll mobile, away...