mtbr member
    Nov 2006

off road motorcycle light

Apologize in advance for being off topic, but you guys are the experts! My brother in law saw a single xml light I made and wants a light for his motorcyle. He races hare scrambles and is thinking of doing some night/24 hour races. I am thinking at the speed he travels that he may want a little more light than my single xml. I am thinking either a 3-up XML or XPG-2. Since he has a 12V system I was going to use one of George's b3Flex's but he may not need all the bells and whistles of one of George's drivers since he will probably only need either off or on (full power).
    Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    George does not recommend his drivers for use on motor vehicles. Maybe just for liability reasons. Vehicle charging systems are often "dirty" power and may cause problems. The Luxdrive A009 can go to 2.1A which is pretty sweet for an XML. A 2S LED setup would work with the overhead requirement of the driver. Their datasheet mentions automotive application.

More important will be the optic or reflector. For moto speeds I think you would need more throw than the small optics and reflectors that are typically used on the lights on this forum. Ledil Iris or a reflector 35mm or larger would be a good start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For a driver (constant current regulator) the hyperboost or hyperbuck should be a good choice and are meant for auto/moto use as they can handle 70 volt spikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hyperboost or Hyperbuck are the choice for automotive use. Optics either aspherics (Ahorton) or as I found out Tiablo A9 40mm reflector give quiet a tight spot with XM-L.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd take a look at someone like BajaDesigns.com - their Stryker or Squadron designs for inspiration. I've heard their stuff is pretty nice.

A 3-up XM-L, each with the reflectors Toaster mentioned, run off a Hyperbuck @ ~2500ma would be nice for about 2700lm output.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Would a motorcycle rider also want some flood in addition to the thrower that Toaster mentioned? Thinking 3 XMLs using two tight beam and one flood beam.
    Also, anyone use the XML-10R Cutter Electronics
    on Cutter's site? I just saw it while browsing Troutie's lens for his triple.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I also have XML-10R reflector, but is much floodier than Tiablo. So 2xA9+1x10R would be quiet a good combination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks Toaster

mtbr member
    I used to do ofroad motorcycling and IMHO the answer to your offroad MC light is in my triple thread. the beam would be prefect for fast offroading .
    I think any flood optic or reflector is too short in throw with the XMLs even the tightest are still floody.
    I have some of the Tiablo reflectors and they cant hold a candle to the monster from cutters .
    total overkill for cycling but great for motors for the XMLs. big is beautiful

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Regarding driver choice for automotive use. The hyperboost, even though it can handle pretty high input voltages, is still a BOOST driver. The issue with Boost drivers is that they inherently have a DC path from the input to the output. This means if you were boosting say 20V of total LED Vf from 12V, even though all appears wonderful... when a 30V or 40V or 50V transient occurs on the input, that transient will direct-drive through the DC path to the LED load....

Without a transient suppressing circuit at the front end of a Boost driver, I would never recommend its use in an automotive environment.

For a buck driver (3A drive) that can handle automotive voltages, I do have a solution that is NOT on my website. It is well proven for automotive use and if the driver is thermally bonded to the LED heatsink, it will also limit maximum temperature to 60C. It will automatically reduce output current as needed to prevent exceeding 60C. The thermal rollback is implemented as an analog solution, so the current reduction/dimming is barely noticeable in normal use. Obviously with any airflow the housing will cool quickly and the driver will raise output current back to nominal 3A.

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    troutie - are you talking your 3 xml - one reflector thread that uses the 4.5 degree 80mm reflector?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    troutie - are you talking your 3 xml - one reflector thread that uses the 4.5 degree 80mm reflector?
    Andy I am indeed and it would be a smaller light than 3 of the reflectors with more punch and certainly enough spill for an offroad motorcycle.

And like the sound of Georges driver it would be perfect for a triple from a 12 volt auto supply
    unless of course the MC is onl;y 6 volts.

How do we get hold of these drivers George ??I have a light to build for my brother to use on his fishing boat and also like the idea of some spots for my van

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Check this out for either inspiration or a pre-built solution:

6 Xm-l light bar build | BudgetLightForum.com
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb View Post
    How do we get hold of these drivers George ??I have a light to build for my brother to use on his fishing boat and also like the idea of some spots for my van
    Email me and I'll provide details and a picture. It's a custom driver that I have some extra units on hand. Basically sorta/kinda like a h6cc but with some automotive specific stuff, designed for 3A and also an optoisolated pwm input. The auto current lowering based on thermal monitoring is a must for a motorbike/automotive market where the light may be used during the day and in hot climates and with no airflow when stationary etc. i.e. the driver needs to be as 'user proof/safe' as possible

cheers,
    george.