mtbr member

Not sure where to start

So I have looked through a bunch of threads trying to educate myself a little about making a light and I thinking it's making me more confused haha.

So here is what I want. A small compact light that has a run time of 30-60 minutes no more than 90 minutes for sure and I would like to do it as cheaply as I can. Like 50 bucks cheap if that's feasible. I did check out the pond light thread and could do that but that used a battery pack, could I modify it to use AA batteries as it seems the pond light is a good cheap options that works well.

I want to be able to use AA batteries as I doubt have a light now and don't want to have to buy a battery pack as that seems more expensive.

I would also like to be able to buy most, if not all the parts locally so I can start working on it but will order online if that is the better option. I also have a wide variety of tools so I will be covered there.

Here are a few that are like what I want to make.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Rech...for-Your-Bike/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Impr...ht-with-integ/

But like I said the pond scum light seems to be the best bang as long as I would be able to convert it to use AA batteries.

mtbr member
    Hello, maybe this thread is for you :
    Alien Eye Home built light
    The batteries is a other problem : you should use either NiMH or Lithium based accumulators. The thread below need 12 V min. So you need 12 x AA NiMH (~1V = empty level; 1.2 = full). NiMH > low cost charging stuff. Chose Eneloop or Hybrio for long lifetime.
    Other threads :
    Home Made Bike Light Database
    CuLite - Easy DIY Dinotte
    They are the first comming back to my mind... There are olso a LOT of threads nice to be read.
    Good luck !

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What use are you intending and how much light do you think you want?

mtbr member
    It will be mostly used for commuting at night but would be taken to the trails on occasion.

mtbr member
    Best to avoid the pond light, though great in it's day the halogen thing is now being left behind with the LED thing.

Have a read of this thread : DIY done cheap It should give you some Ideas.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    It will be mostly used for commuting at night but would be taken to the trails on occasion.
    Build an Achesalot or Amoeba clone and the link Yeti gave is great too. Use a pair of XP-E or XP-G leds on 20mm optics and a buckpuck. Power with a 6S AA. You can wire it for 2 or 3 brightness levels. Low for commuting and high for trails. It is very unlikely you will be able to source good parts local to you. Ledsupply.com is a good source. You will be real close to your $50 limit, if not a bit over.