mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Not much sticky left on Laura lens holder

The paper that protects the sticky two sided tape on the rear of the Laura lens holder didn't stay on after delivery. After my customizing and such, the tape has little, if any, of it's adhesive properties. What should I use to adhere the holder/lens to the star as a substitute?
    TIA
    Andy

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Depending on your housing design, you may not need the holder glued to the star. If you do need to glue it, pretty much anything except "superglue" will work. Most "superglue" type products release fumes that can leave a frosted coating on optics and LEDS. There is a type made for optical use. It is listed as "low bloom". Most use silicone. The best is "odor free" or "neutral cure". Most silicone sealants release acetic acid fumes while curing. This has been known to cause corrosion on solder joints and circuit boards. Hot glue gun, epoxy, urethane, etc. are all fine with varying degrees of permanence.

Dirt Deviant
    I've been using 5 minute epoxy.
    Long enough of a working time so you can get everything centered, but not so long that you have to hold stuff in place forever.
    Silicone is great because it is flexible, but it takes a while to cure, and I'm always worried about parts getting out of alignment during the curing process.
    Currently awaiting some "Serious Glue" that I ordered. Troutie has been messing around with the stuff with good results.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any recommendations on an odor free or neutral cure silicone adhesive that I can pick up at hardware stores in US? Cheap? I did a search and didn't come up w/ any easily available products. This is just to seal up a lens cover, not to mount lens holder to star. Or.....is this overkill for this application?
    Thanks
    Andy

Dirt Deviant
    Here is the cheapest electronics grade stuff I could find.
    https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001_615769_-1
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I got my odour free silicone from Home Depot (can't remember the name though, only one without Acetic something or other in the ingredients) and clear 5min epoxy from Lowes. I use the silicone for fixing reflectors and sealing the housing and the 5min epoxy for the lexan lens cover. Used to use silicone but the epoxy is waaaay easier to use and looks considerably better too.