mtbr member

not a bike light, but fun all the same (plus castle pics :))

cross post from BLF about a 2AA minimag to Nichia 219 conversion;

Old Lumens inspired minimag > Nichia 219 mod | BudgetLightForum.com

If nothing else but to show that I'm practicing my machine work skills
    Last edited by mattthemuppet; 12-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Cool ,
    Good to see the olde Lathe being used to good effect Matt

mtbr member
    thanks! I'm working up to a helmet light, although I think I'll practice on a couple of work lights first to keep honing my skillz

Until then, I'm going old school..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    nice! Needs a moat and a dragon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Matt - now you have me taking apart my old 3 D-cell Maglite. It looks way too easy to bump the lumen output on these - damn I need a lathe. I would have probably turned out a heatsink tonight.

You interested in making a heatsink or 2 for an XM-L and a driver cavity?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    nice! Needs a moat and a dragon
    thanks! Dragon we have, but the moat was vetoed by the design committee as leading to something to big to carry. It will have 2 chain operated drawbridges though, finished them at 12.30 this morning

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Matt - now you have me taking apart my old 3 D-cell Maglite. It looks way too easy to bump the lumen output on these - damn I need a lathe. I would have probably turned out a heatsink tonight.

You interested in making a heatsink or 2 for an XM-L and a driver cavity?
    I've been thinking about the same thing for a couple of years, but even with a lathe it's not simple. Unless you go tail clicky there's not a lot of space between the switch and the focal point for much of a heatsink and Maglites aren't uniform w/respect to tube IDs (so I'm told). So even if it didn't take me several hours to make a heatsink (the minimag one was 2-3h!), it probably wouldn't fit your Maglite even if it fit mine Sorry for being a bit Eeyore-like about it, but it's something I've thought about a lot and it's been put a long way down my list.

Sad thing is, a half decent 1xAA light (like a Romisen RC-G2) with an XP-G2 or Nichia 219 swapped in throws just as far, is much brighter and weighs a fraction of even a cut down Maglite. Still, 3D Maglites are much more useful for home defense...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah - I've got this guy lined up to make me one of his:
    FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light! - Laser Pointer Forums - Laser Pointers and Laser Pointer info

I really like the way he deals with the fitment issues with the grub screw anchor - plus I can turn mine down a little if I have to - I've got a 3-jaw that goes in my drill press, and I can sand it as it spins, or I've got a cross slide vise on my press that i can run a milling bit across it as it spins.

There is almost 2 full inches from emitter dome down to the switch housing in the d-cell case where you can house a heatsink and electronics

mtbr member
    nice find! Scaru on BLF pointed me towards these

******** H22A Heatsinks ********

which are another option and pretty reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    nice find! Scaru on BLF pointed me towards these

******** H22A Heatsinks ********

which are another option and pretty reasonably priced.
    Yep - I had already made arrangements with the one I had posted - but, if I like the outcome - the H22's would probably be my next time around pick - plus I can drill n tap the sidewalls of the H22 heatsink to hold it in place too.

mtbr member
    not in anyway related to lights, but the castle was finally finished at 1.30am Christmas day morning. Thankfully Ingrid managed to whisk away the 2 clamps those sloppy elves left on there before the kids saw them

Barbarians at the gate

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That's cool - I've been reading all of the Game of Thrones books lately, and I think I did my junior year term paper in high school on the "Offensive/Defensive capabilities of a medieval castle" or something to that effect. I've always thought castles were cool.

My little boy turns 1 today - I can't wait til he's old enough to a) ride the Giant Pre push bike I got him (Yeah he's a little young right now) and b) start playing with Lego and stuff.