mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Noob battery pack question

I've ordered a Solarstorm X2, and having read about the hit-or-miss nature of the batteries that come with them was thinking about alternative batteries. I've got a bunch of fairly high capacity (2750mh) AA NiMh batteries already. Has anyone made a pack out of a 4x AA holder like this:
    Buy Battery Holders & Mounts Four cell AA PCB mount battery holder RS BATTERY HOLDER 4XAA (PCB) online from RS for next day delivery.

It has the nice option of keeping another set of batteries in the car for long rides.

Would I be able to solder the connection for the light directly to the battery pack? Would I be able to use other types of AA's as well?

I'm new to the electronics stuff, but have a tech savvy mate who will be helping me out with the assembly.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is at least 100 threads about building a battery pack. Every week is opened a new one, and have been at least million times discussed over and over again. Try using the search button, scroll button on your mouse and left button on your mouse to open certain links to certain threads. I guarantee you that you won't be a noob but an expert in less than two hours.

mtbr member
    I've never used those battery holders so can't answer that question. Can't tell from the picture but I am guessing they are wired 4S? If so, that is only 4.8V using the AA NiMH. The Solarstorm X2 has a 7.4V nominal (8.4V fully charged) battery pack. You would need at least 6 of your AA NiMH batteries wired in series. I am guessing you would also need some type of protection circuit to prevent low voltage on the batteries (I assume NiMH is the same as Li-Ion in this regard). In my opinion you may be better off buying a spare Li-Ion battery pack that already has the same connector rather than build your own from NiMH. If you still want to build your own, I'd search the forums for NiMH battery packs to see if there are any threads on the topic.

I am guessing you already saw it but there is a huge thread on the Lights and Night Riding page on the Solarstorm. May have some info in there on batteries. SolarStorm/FandyFire X2

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Toaster, you are so very helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know! And I can be much more of a help if you do your part of homework and don't expect everything to be served on a silver plate. You registered here and first thing you did was hitting that "new thread" button instead of using search or even scrolling a bit lower down the page. What did you expect? And your next thread will be: "How do I wire 18650 battery pack for my light" and then "What are the best 18650 batteries out there", "What PCB to buy" etc etc ....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79 View Post
    And your next thread will be: "How do I wire 18650 battery pack for my light" and then "What are the best 18650 batteries out there", "What PCB to buy" etc etc ....
    +1

Give a man a fish.... or teach a man to fish....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No, I actually did search through the battery thread, but couldn't find the answer to my question. Hence I asked. You've got too much time on your hands.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    +1

Give a man a fish.... or teach a man to fish....
    If all you are going to tell some one is to search, move along, no reason to spread Summer's Eve on a newbie. Every forum I have ever seen has this same douchiness, so it is just an internet thing. Power to the Massengiller!

There are ways to point people into the right direction without being a douche. Believe it or not, some people search... search a lot... and unless you have the MAGICAL set of search terms, you are still left with questions. You spend more time typing an ass reply to search than you would spend just clicking you back button.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    and unless you have the MAGICAL set of search terms, you are still left with questions.
    [SARCASM]Guess I'm "MAGICAL".[/SARCASM] My first try, "AA holder" found a ton of hits in less than a second. If one perused a quarter of those threads it's likely they'd have answered the original question and learned lots in addition.

This was truly an effort to guide the newb to read up a bit. Learn a little about the subject. Then pose more complex questions that are new. Makes for better forum content for all. Who will read a forum that is overloaded with the same old, same old newb questions? Seriously, you want to call me a douche for that?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I should have quoted Toaster for the first reply in the thread... yours was the last I read before I hit the button. I apologize, my comments should not have been aimed at you.

As for who will read a forum like this?Considering it is one of the slowest forums on MTBR, I would venture to guess folks that are interested in building their own lights. I ask a few "elementary" questions when I first joined and didn't get chastised for doing so. If you don't want to answer rookie questions, pass on them. There are all skill levels at work around here and someone else will come in an lend a hand to the rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    [SARCASM]Guess I'm "MAGICAL".[/SARCASM] My first try, "AA holder" found a ton of hits in less than a second. If one perused a quarter of those threads it's likely they'd have answered the original question and learned lots in addition.

This was truly an effort to guide the newb to read up a bit. Learn a little about the subject. Then pose more complex questions that are new. Makes for better forum content for all. Who will read a forum that is overloaded with the same old, same old newb questions? Seriously, you want to call me a douche for that?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @Knight511: I've actually taken time to count the number of threads about batteries, holders, chargers, connectors, PCBs, all that involves building a battery pack. I've counted 13 on a FIRST page, and probably missed some of them too. One of the threads is called Solarstorm/Fandifire X2. There is also mentioned a custom battery pack with 3400mAh Pannys. If velovite had actually used that round thing between the muse buttonsand scrolled down the page, he would be googling "Panasonic 3400mAh", then "18650 holder" .... meanwhile he would have found all the answers on the first page of DIY forum. And you dare to call me a douche?!

@velovite: just out of curiosity, what are those NiMHs you have?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Yup. Douche. His question was not about 18650s, Panasonic 18650s or the holder for them, so why would he search for any of those terms? He asked about DOUBLE A batteries, so you didn't even bother reading his post before you blasted out cleaning liquid.

Counting and criticizing takes longer than clicking the back button if you don't want to answer a simple question or point a person into the right direction. It takes effort to be a douche on an online forum, it takes no effort to just not help someone. Not a single thread on the page about using AA batteries... I searched for AA holder and got 1 thread listed that had a title that someone might read about AAs and the rest of the results were 18650 questions and questions about lights and such.

If you want to help someone search by digging up a few threads that are RELAVENT to their question and then point them into a set of search terms that will uncover more, that is cool but to not read his post and still cry about searching? Internet forum douchie response... nothing else.

@Knight511: I've actually taken time to count the number of threads about batteries, holders, chargers, connectors, PCBs, all that involves building a battery pack. I've counted 13 on a FIRST page, and probably missed some of them too. One of the threads is called Solarstorm/Fandifire X2. There is also mentioned a custom battery pack with 3400mAh Pannys. If velovite had actually used that round thing between the muse buttonsand scrolled down the page, he would be googling "Panasonic 3400mAh", then "18650 holder" .... meanwhile he would have found all the answers on the first page of DIY forum. And you dare to call me a douche?!

@velovite: just out of curiosity, what are those NiMHs you have?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You really don't get it, do you. I gave him more information than he could wish for by telling him what to look for and where to find it, and you're still being a smartass. How much help did you actually provide in this thread. NONE! He's got the light, he's got the charger, hes got the connectors, all he needs is to buy 2, 4, 6 decent LiIon cells, depending on runtime, and wire them up in a pack. By the the time you spent writing your pointless posts, you could have learned something yourself. Well, but its way easyer to be a smartass afterall.

Do yourself a favor and hit that "back" button once in a while.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    There is at least 100 threads about building a battery pack. Every week is opened a new one, and have been at least million times discussed over and over again. Try using the search button, scroll button on your mouse and left button on your mouse to open certain links to certain threads. I guarantee you that you won't be a noob but an expert in less than two hours.

I know! And I can be much more of a help if you do your part of homework and don't expect everything to be served on a silver plate. You registered here and first thing you did was hitting that "new thread" button instead of using search or even scrolling a bit lower down the page. What did you expect? And your next thread will be: "How do I wire 18650 battery pack for my light" and then "What are the best 18650 batteries out there", "What PCB to buy" etc etc ....
    "I gave him more information than he could wish for by telling him what to look for and where to find it"

You have him nothing more than 2 smartass answers when his "thanks" to you was OBVIOUSLY sarcasm for your **** answer. He didn't ask for anything to do with li-ion batteries, 18650s or panasonic 3400s... face it, you didn't read and didn't care. You just want to post a "snarky" response to belittle a rookie. Douche.

Fourtrax answered his question and pointed him into a good direction. His post is what HELP actually looks like.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @"Knight"511 please tll us how old are you. 16-23?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have we had enough of the name calling yet ?

One of the reasons I enjoy this particular forum is that for the most part the people on it are knowledgeable, helpful & willing to share what they have learnt . And yes I do include both vancbiker & toaster in that list.

mtbr member
    Back to the original thread- sort of.
    I made up some emergency battery packs with some lightly used lithium AA batteries and some cheap AA holders. I had a source who needed to keep using fresh ones for work.

For my 3.7v light, I made up packs with 2S2P (2 parallel sets of 2 connected serially), added a Magicshine connector and sealed the whole thing up with electrical tape. I made sure the batteries had at least 1.7v each.

It's a throw-in-your-pack-and-forget-about-it backup. The Li AAs are very light too.

With your NiMH you'd need to go 6S1P for 7.4v. The holders and connectors are cheap enough you could make a few and disassemble at home for charging. It'll be heavy though.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Have we had enough of the name calling yet ?

One of the reasons I enjoy this particular forum is that for the most part the people on it are knowledgeable, helpful & willing to share what they have learnt . And yes I do include both vancbiker & toaster in that list.
    That was my point... if you don't want to answer, don't... somebody else will be by that has the patience to answer. I have asked some rookie type questions and have gotten some really good help from some good folks. Being a sarcastic ass only drives people away instead of driving their curiosity to learn more.

As for age, you can think I am however old you want, but with 20 years owning my own business, I think you will WAY under shoot.
    Fat guys need bikes too.