mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Niterider Trinewt Trail Pics

Hi,

just wanted to post some pics i made today during my first ride with the niterider trinewt.
    It's realy bright and I was riding for half an hour on the low setting without even recognizing. I was realy surprised as I wanted to switch to low during taking the pictures and it went brighter! So the only thing I don't like so far ist that there is no indicator for the settings.

from rider perspective:

trail view (circa 70m till the end):

overall view (circa 50m till tree):

hope that helps all of you a little

the pictures were taken with a Canon Ixus 60 with ISO800 and 1 second shutter.

Cheers Olli

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice beam pattern and excellent width. Have fun and stay away from cars- far away.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Wow, that's impressive. If only I hadn't blown 2 bills on a pos topeak halogen....

ride
    That Trinewt is the light I'd be getting right now if I didn't already have a decent light. We've got a crew around here that regularly night rides. A couple of our guys have picked up the Trinewt. All I have to say is "wow." There's a reason I can't keep them around. They are sweet. Long burn times and quick charge times, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'll jump on and say I like the light as well. I do, however, take issue with a few things, wondering how y'all feel about them. Since they changed the mounting design, I cannot use my headlamp strap set up any longer. I contacted them, and got a rather dim bulb on the line (sorry couldn't resist), who could not really get up the energy to say much about it. "Uh, we aren't making that anymore", okay, so what do I do to mount it sans helmet? "Uh, dunno, we don't make that anymore". Okay, so I guess I need buy a few mounts to modify it, and make one myself? "yep, guess you'll have to".... Great, love ya buddy At the same time they also attempt to balance the light more, by perching it right on top of the helmet. Great if you're in a treeless, Cholla infested desert, but I've already amost yanked myself off the bike twice on branches, same trails I always ride too, just a new light. The only other things I miss is a lower, minimal setting for trail side repair, and a fuel gauge.

All this said, the design, and execution are great, and it's nice and bright. I was really excited about this set up, but it seems they really dumbed it down, and I can't figure out why.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The design has some problems and NR has never had reps who are reasonably bright. I personally don't buy NR lights but the lens and beam pattern is surprisingly good given their HID light performance. I'll definitely give them that. There are far better choices but for around $300, the Trinewt is hard to ignore. The 600L is $400 and probably the only US-based one that is somewhat close in price and a better bet overall.

Still, when the Trinewt sells for $300-$350, I can see why they would sell a ton of those. As someone once told me, it's the Specialized or Trek of the light world. Just don't expect Nite Rider to be a Lupine or even a Light & Motion and you will be happy

mtbr member
    I have been using a Trinewt for a couple of weeks now, so I'll throw my two cents in. This is a great handlebar light. I think the rubber mounting strap works really well, although it does sit low on the bars, so I could see how it cound interfere with your cables. As all the trail shots show, it has an incredibly bright and wide beam pattern.

That being said, if you are looking for a helmet light, then you probably won't like the Trinewt. It is heavy and yea, you are supposed to mount it on the top of your helmet. Plus, the switch is on the battery so unless you get the wireless version, you can't easily switch light levels.

I think a nice set up would be a Trinewt on the bars and a MiNewt or a L&M Stella on your helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im running Trinewt on bars, MiNewt on helmet and its been a great combo for me.

ride
    Hey MendonCS, your points are well noted. We ride in the forest out here (CO) but our forests are much different than yours. Low hanging foliage isn't as much of a problem. I still prefer the older helmet mount to the new one, too. I think part of the reason they changed it, though, is to help keep them from breaking - I've seen plenty of the "wings" on the old style helmet mounts break off.

Talk to Mark inside at NR. He's great and knows what he's talking about.

Trek/Specialized of the light world? Maybe so, in that they are not as small and niche, but they have a passion for riding, that's for sure. I got hooked on NR 10+ years ago because of their grassroots support of 24hr racing. Niterider's customer service has always been top notch and it's rare that I see issues with their lights.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Running TriNewt on bars here -- love the light. Super bright, great beam pattern, and the battery has outlasted every ride I've done with it so far. I combine my TriNewt on the bars with a Black Diamond Icon headlamp on the helmet (3W LED), the combination works great for me.

Thanks for the responses to my admittedly rather heavy handed hijack, my apologies to the OP

My experience with NR has always been good, most of my contacts have been very positive, both with my own needs, and those of my customers. That said, it's a big part of why I mention it. Why take a light with alot of features, that all seem to be built on years of "oh, this is what they want from our lights", and come out with a technological leap forward, and introduce it, devoid of ANY features, then change the mount in a really odd, way, and make it non compatible with a key piece of their accessory line, aka, the hiker/skiier headlamp strap? I guess it allows them to unveil a newer cooler one next year? I'm just finishing up getting set up with Lupine, I have a customer that wants a Betty, think I'll try one too, and see how they are as a company. My one conversation with them was very pleasant and informative. I'll still keep NR around though, they're solid, even if they're like Trek, though I chafe at the comparison

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Why take a light with alot of features, that all seem to be built on years of "oh, this is what they want from our lights", and come out with a technological leap forward, and introduce it, devoid of ANY features, then change the mount in a really odd, way, and make it non compatible with a key piece of their accessory line, aka, the hiker/skiier headlamp strap?
    Easy Q's: so they can sell you more... their mind is in the profits "how can we sell more" but forcing you because things are not compatible...
    A company's goal is to sell but other companies thinking "what is the best think we can offer our clients so they buy from us? what do they want" like Dinotte, L&M, Jetlite and Lupine, etc compatible chargers, cables, etc.
    If I own 1 of these lights, isn't cool that my older charger or mount works with the new one that I want to buy?? AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    it's rare that I see issues with their lights.
    that's not the general concensus

I haven't seen the trinew in person, love the light pattern but I stay away from NR because of what I hear

Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    If I own 1 of these lights, isn't cool that my older charger or mount works with the new one that I want to buy??
    That's precisely why I was attracted to Lupine, upon looking into it

It's kinda the difference between buying Stickley furniture, rather than something from the department store. Both work, one just makes you happier longer

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In the past 6-7 years, I have seen more NRs fail than all other lights combined. In all fairness, they probably sell as much as all others combined. Their support and CS are good though. What bothers me is that their lights are never as bright or as well designed as the top of the pack.

However, given their markup, the Trinewts and Minewts are good values for many. Nite Riders are not for me (I'm a Lupine fan and also like L&M and Dinotte) but I have recommended the NR LEDs for those on a budget. I have never recommended NR HIDs but I do recommend the Trinewt for those who barely have $300 to spend on a light. You can pick them up for around that all day long and $400 is what it takes to get a really solid light (600L) and it goes up from there so the Trinewt is a budget option for sure.

On the other positive side, some of the the money they make is given back to the biking community through their support for racing and other events- one has to appreciate that.

However, if some design feature is sub-par, do call and email NR- don't just keep it to yourself and here. It is only constructive feedback that will make them change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    In the past 6-7 years, I have seen more NRs fail than all other lights combined. In all fairness, they probably sell as much as all others combined. Their support and CS are good though. What bothers me is that their lights are never as bright or as well designed as the top of the pack.

You can pick them up for around that all day long and $400 is what it takes to get a really solid light (600L) and it goes up from there so the Trinewt is a budget option for sure.

On the other positive side, some of the the money they make is given back to the biking community through their support for racing and other events- one has to appreciate that.

However, if some design feature is sub-par, do call and email NR- don't just keep it to yourself and here. It is only constructive feedback that will make them change anything.

Agreed, and it's interesting, as I came to them, from NiteHawk, which was a bit cheaper in terms of price, and manufacture. NR seemd a big step up. Now, six or seven years later, I'm realizing the same thing, all over again! I do generally communicate stuff to most of the companies I deal with, as I agree 100% with your assertion on that. I must have gotten a dud last time, he wasn't hearing anything I had to say.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

ride
    Flyer makes an excellent point. NR probably sells more lights than L&M and Lupine combined, hence, you will no doubt hear about more issues. I've been riding NR for 10+ years and selling them for 5. The ONLY issue I've ever had is that the wiring on my personal Digital Pro went out after 9 years of use. It was fixed, out of warranty, for $20 and returned within about 10 days.

I also ride with 4 folks that use L&M HID lights. All 4 have had to send them back to L&M within 2 years for fixes that cost upwards of $50. I'm not sure that those 4 lights are statistically significant because I don't know how many lights L&M sells, though.

I try to make my points not off of internet banter, rather by personal experience. I do realize that others have had issues with NR. I trust that they have been taken care of quickly and efficiently, as that is the general consensus
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    The ONLY issue I've ever had is that the wiring on my personal Digital Pro went out after 9 years of use. It was fixed, out of warranty, for $20 and returned within about 10 days.

I also ride with 4 folks that use L&M HID lights. All 4 have had to send them back to L&M within 2 years for fixes that cost upwards of $50. I'm not sure that those 4 lights are statistically significant because I don't know how many lights L&M sells, though.

I try to make my points not off of internet banter, rather by personal experience. I do realize that others have had issues with NR. I trust that they have been taken care of quickly and efficiently, as that is the general consensus
    That's the beauty about internet, to hear dfiferent points of views since one thing is what I can read or hear and other is your personal experience which is very enrichfull sp? for people that want to learn more all the time like me. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer
    if some design feature is sub-par, do call and email NR- don't just keep it to yourself and here. It is only constructive feedback that will make them change anything
    I always write Emails to the manufacturers from which I buy to give them feed back, Just not interested in NR cause I'm not their customer so far... But I give a lot of feed back and support to the others that I've tried and are awesome (Jetlite, L&M, Dinotte)