mtbr member

NiteRider TrailRat 2.0?

How is it for trail riding? Will I be OK riding with just this light mounted on my bars? Ive never been night riding and it looks like a ton of fun, but I dont want to spend/ have $250 for a really nice system. Also, I want to see how I like it too. So, suggestions?
    Thanks alot

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bought this light hoping to use it for trail riding. It is not bright enough if you are going alone. My buddy has the same light and we both agree that its perfect for biking on the road but is not bright enough for trail use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A single 10W halogen is not enough for trail riding. Maybe fireroads, but it won't be a fun experience. I would say a minimum of 10W on the helmet and 10W on the handlebars for nighttime trail riding. I use a 15W helmet light and 12/20/32W dual beam on the handlebars. This is probably the brightest halogen setup most people go with. Next step up is HID ($$$).

Btw, a 10W 6V system like the trailrat is less bright than a 10W 13.2V system. If you want just one light, I'd recommend a handlebar-mounted 13.2V dual beam like the Niterider Classic or similar 12/20/32W setup.

Hi!!!
    I have the 10w NR TrailRat and it's mounted on my handlebars. It does the job for the type of riding I do at night.....very, very familiar trails for 1-2 hours, 1-2x/week, during mid-late fall and winter starting at like 5:30/6pm. Oh yeah...I don't outrun my lights either. Also, I use a 10w NR on my helmet as well.

Does it light up the trail like a HID or more powerful halogen? Nope. I would LOVE to have a much more powerful system, but right now I just can't afford it.

For the bar light, I point it so that the beam is in front of my bike and with the helmet light, I point it farther ahead when seated on the bike. We'll see how the helmet postion works tonight. Prior to this year, I've always had my helmet mount forward on the helmet to where it sits just right above the top of my visor. But this resulted in the light being shown in nearly the same spot as my bar light. Plus, you could definately feel it's weight. Last night I moved the mount up maybe an inch and the don't really feel the weight of the light since it is more centered. Also, when I'm riding the bike, the helmet light's beam is farther ahead.

Bottom line, if you do have budget constraints and don't know how much night riding you will be doing, buy what you can afford now. If later down the road, you really want to get serious about riding at night and can afford it, get one of the more bling-bling systems out there.

Enjoy and be safe!!!

Do It Yourself
    If you don't have the cash for a decent commercial product, why not try a DIY light. You can easily put something together that will blow away that crappy NR for the same money.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Check out eBay for good deals on slightly used lights. When I priced out my lights, some of them ended being cheaper than the DIY lights simply because it came complete with a smart charger and battery pack. The helmet or handlebar mounts on DIY lights usually aren't as slick as the purpose-designed stuff from some of the bigger name brands. Just stay away from well-used fancy lights on eBay. The basic halogens without electronic wizardry are usually the safe bets unless you really know what you're getting into.

mtbr member
    Hey, how about this combo--tell me what you think.
    A NiteRider Evolution 10W helmet mount and
    the NiteRider trail Rat 2.0 for the bars. For both it comes to about 200 bucks. How would this combo do. If the trail rat 2.0 is pretty good for night riding, perhaps the trail rat plus the evoultion could do some justice?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You're in luck. Performance Bike has a coupon going on until Saturday up to 20% off. I would skip the Evolution if you're planning to just use it for helmet mount and get the Headtrip. It'll save you a few bucks since it's the same light except without the handlebar mount. Headtrip is $89.99 and Trailrat 2.0 is $99.99 plus 15% off which comes out to be $161.48. Or you can replace the Trailrat with the Classic Select and the total is $199.98 after 20% off.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by edray
    Hey, how about this combo--tell me what you think.
    A NiteRider Evolution 10W helmet mount and
    the NiteRider trail Rat 2.0 for the bars. For both it comes to about 200 bucks. How would this combo do. If the trail rat 2.0 is pretty good for night riding, perhaps the trail rat plus the evoultion could do some justice?
    Thanks
    I would rather have one good light than two half assed weak lights. You're much better off with one Trail Tech HID or 20W Jet Phantom for about the same money.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Homebrew is right. One good light will blow away 2 lesser lights. Performance has a 6v niterider classic dual (10w and 20w), total 30 watts for 159.00 I believe if you are a member you get another 20% off. That's only 128 for that light which seems like a good deal provided run time is long enough for you. Seems like lots of choices to buy a second battery too. Batteryspace, etc. You might even find a second battery and over volt a bit to enhance that light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just to clarify, the Niterider Classic Select is only sold by Performance and is a 6V version of the Classic Plus. My friend has the 6V Classic Select and it's a 10W spot and 15W flood, so a total of 25W. It would be fairly easy to overvolt any of the 6V lights mentioned above with a 7.2V battery pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I stand corrected Char. It is as you state. By the way, I found a Cygolite night explorer dual 10w and 15w for 74.99 buy it now on e-bay. Have no idea if it's any good but a great price to get started night riding. Maybe someone is using one.

MB