mtbr member
    Nov 2004

NiteRider lights regulated?

Princeton Tec claims that their lights are regulated, generally speaking the light output remains constant to the end of the claimed battery life. Does anyone know if NiteRider or other companies have regulated lights?

mtbr member
    When I have run my Niterider HID down, it gets vary dim for a vary short duration, then goes out for good. This may be just the nature of the HIDs in general. It does use Ballast that controls the current flow.
    I donít think that there Halogen lights are regulated in any wave shape or form. From all of what I have seen, they just get Yellowier and dimmer until the battery gives out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    does your light's output diminish over time or does it stay solid thoug out the life of the battery?

mtbr member
    Yes, NiteRider's LED-based lights are regulated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    does your light's output diminish over time or does it stay solid thoug out the life of the battery?
    Solid to a point...I have no real way of checking my battery life other than keeping track of the time usage.
    When it gets Dim, It's just a matter of minutes before I am in the dark.

I would think that all LED based lights are regulated. Any manufacturer that doesnít, would loose their shirts in warranty work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    Yes, NiteRider's LED-based lights are regulated.

Thanks James

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdawg
    I would think that all LED based lights are regulated. Any manufacturer that doesnít, would loose their shirts in warranty work.
    Some of the cheaper ones are definitely not regulated. Cateye EL-500/530, for example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxCycler
    Some of the cheaper ones are definitely not regulated. Cateye EL-500/530, for example.
    The way I see itÖthe Cateye EL-500/530 is a bar mounted flash light and not a true mountain bike light. LEDís certainly can function without a regulator but the battery voltage has to be limited to a specific voltage. The Cateye uses 4 AA to drive a single LED. For a run time of 90 hrs using 900 mha alkaline it would use 10 ma at 4.6V as compared to a single Cree that would consume 333 ma but burn for only 2.7 Hrs. The Cateye is either using a vary low power consumption LED or it has a resistor that is essentially a regulator. It is possible that they use a 1.2 Volt LED and use the batteries in parallel. Either way it is not that much light.