mtbr member
    Sep 2004

niterider issues...

nightrider storm, i think. the hid w/ 3 led's. anyway...last ride it was cutting off and on. charged it after thinking - hoping - it simply wasn't fully charged. it still cuts out. i figured out that if i wiggle the cable at the battery it cuts off and on, but there's no sign of distress at that point of the wire - it doesn't look like it's been pulled out any, nor is there a cut in the line.

anyone else have this issue?

how is NR cs?

thanks...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    You've got an open in there somewhere. It's a fairly straightforward repair, just open it up and solder whatever is broken. You might have to cut out a bit of the wire. It can be dangerous because that battery is packing a lot of juice and you don't want to accidentally short out anything or you'll get real sparks and maybe flame. If you're not real familiar with electric work you might want to seek out someone who can do it for you.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had a similar issue with my NR - it was a problem with the connectors - to get to it you would have to do major surgery as it was behind the formed plastic parts.

Get NR CS on the line - I've had great CS from them with a couple issues with my flight HID. Email was responded to in 8 to 36 hours, light was returned in less than a week.
    -Ben

Work/reality vs recreation seems to provide a never ending connundrum...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    NR products are not very good but their CS is much better You need to give them a call.

mtbr member
    I sent an HID to niterider for repair about a month ago. It took right at a week including time to send it in. Their customer service is good, but there are better lights out there for the same money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have an older Niterider halogen light that does the same thing. There are two pc boards, one in the battery pack and one in the head. I examined the boards under a strong magnifying glass and couldn't see anything. Since I am a technician by trade I figured this was due to a thermal issue where when things get warm they expand and therefore break contact. A good tool to use to locate the problem is a can of freon, if you can still find it. When the problem exposes it's ugly head spray it to cool off small areas at a time until you find it. My problem was caused by a cracked solder joint that couldn't be seen but I found it by using this method.

I'm sorry, I just noticed you mentioned it was HID. DO NOT GO IN THERE!!!!!
    The starter circuit for HID's is high voltage,(over 10,000 volts). It can kill you. Send the unit back to Niterider. Seriously!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Been there

Exact same thing happened to my Blowtorch. However, as the battery was 3.5 years old and could not longer go full on even for 1 hour, I abandoned the system. Replacing the battery might have solved the problem, but it might not, and the replacement batteries are very expensive. Add to that that the remaining bulb life was unknown but probably not very long, and that replacement bulbs are very expensive, it became an obvious, albeit painful, decision to abandon it. I'm limping along with an old Marwi Pro Elite for the remainder of the season (which for me is only 2 more weeks), and then will look into hot rodding a CatEye EL530 as suggested in another thread, until I get the cash and skills to produce my own DIY LED unit. I've pretty much had it with high priced lights with proprietary batteries and parts.

Light freak
    niterider issues...
    I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have heard that line!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nite Rider is a mass-producing type of company. They outsource as much as possible and rarely have specific light information due to this. We all know that outsourcing means chaging to suppliers who bid lower the next year or the next production run.

Their costs stay very low and profit margins very high. Their marketing/sales team is strong and that is their strenth. The margins for dealers is very high and that keeps dealers in check and happy even if a larger-than-normal percentage of their products come back for warranty work.

It's a completely different business model than Dinotte, Lupine, Light & Motions, and Jet Lites. These guys focus on quality, quality control, innovation, and reliability.

RIDE...
    Nite Rider.....Good CS, bad product, I have replaced mine HID+Moab 3 times, very bad experience, now I will try Lupine, I have heard better reviews of them...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    And I was thinking a NR SolMate was a good deal, glad I'm still looking!