mtbr member

NiteRider Enduro HID vs L&M Stella-L

I already have a niterider evolution smart, but I want another light to go with the two light setup for night mtn biking. What are your opinions on the NiteRider Enduro HID vs L&M Stella-L since they are about $10 apart in price.

Thanks,
    -Joe

mtbr member
    I just read my post and its not very clear... So I currently own a evolution smart and its a very nice light. But I want to run a two light system, the traditional helmet and bar combo. I was interested in the NiteRider Enduro HID(2007) and the Light and Motion Stella-L. They are essentially the same price.

My riding is tight east coast singletrack, I have no idea the lumens the HID puts out compared to the stella... Which light would you recommend?

Thanks,
    -Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want the best HID out there, you can get a Light & Motion ARC starting at around $300. It just blows away all of NR's HIDs and always has. The brightness and beam pattern are just in a different league.

The Stella isn't very bright or wide so you would be much better off with either the ARC or a bright LED like the Nite Rider Trinewt or even the Minewt. You can find the Trinewt for around $300 and the Minewt for even less. I know these prices because I have been doing tons of research on lights. The Trinewt isn't in stock at many places but the wait will be worth it. It also has a great beam pattern.

Chuck the Stella out the window. If you want the best beam, get the ARC. If you prefer LED, get the Trinewt though it is a bit heavier than the ARC. Another great LED at $400 with TWO batteries is the Dinotte 600L. It's a great light.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks a ton, just the input I wanted!

-Joe

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    The Stella isn't very bright or wide so you would be much better off with either the ARC or a bright LED like the Nite Rider Trinewt or even the Minewt.
    Why would you recommend the Minewt over the Stella? Trinewt, sure, but the minewt?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For one, it's a lot cheaper. It's closer to $189 MSRP while the Stella is $300. Even the dual Minewt with 300 Lumens is $229 MSRP. I also considered the fact that since most people like two lights eventually, the Trinewt/Minewt combo would be nice. You can always find the NRs discounted, which means you do not have to pay MSRP for any of them.

I would personally not use either the Minewt or the Stella as one primary light. It simply isn't enough for mountain biking. In general, I like Light & Motion quality a lot better than NiteRider but NR's latest LEDs have excellent lenses and are priced lower. You can basically get a Trinewt for the price of Stella (around $300).

If L&M had a brighter LED as well and pricec wasn't a factor, I'd recommend the L&M lights.

Rat Fink
    Stella is way over priced, IMO.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    For one, it's a lot cheaper. It's closer to $189 MSRP while the Stella is $300. Even the dual Minewt with 300 Lumens is $229 MSRP.
    True, but the burn time is nearly double on the Stella and the Stella-L can be had for 270.00 at CBO. NRs new LED lineup is impressive, just not a fan of two separate handlebar mounts for the dual. The new solmate looks interesting as a 2nd light - 115 lumens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just wait till the next Interbike. When Light & Motion comes out with its own high-powered LED that has as wide or a wider beam pattern than the ARC at almost 180 degrees, then we will see some real competition fire up.

In the meantime, the ARC still has the best beam and one of the best brightness levels. As a solo light, it's hard to beat. Nobody has managed to make a reflector like L&M has. That is the key to a truly fantastic beam pattern.