mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Niterider Classic Plus vs. Select vs. Cateye Triple

I just picked up the Niterider Classic Select form me and my GF on sale from performance based on a friend's suggestion only to discover that the Performance Calssic Select is different from the Classic Plus. The first has settings of 10w/15w/25w while the second is 12w/20w/32w and apparently lasts much longer. I though I was getting a deal as they are $160 each, but now I am wondering???? The time seems pretty limited on the Select - I think the max is 2hrs. vs. 3hrs for the other. Does anybody have an opinion/experiecne on these two?

I was considering just upgrading to the Cateye triple shot - it looks like you can get them for a bit over $200. I'm not a big fan of the battery pack though. I was originally going to buy a L & M HId or something similar but decided that $350-400 is too much cash....

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    While I actually intend to buy the Triple Shot, I am not sure that it is a great choice for use by itself. While it does put out a great flood of light, I don't think it has the reach for fast XC riding. Paired with a Double Shot it will work great, but as I said, I don't know if I would want one as my only light.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the NR stuff.

Keith
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The issue is that the Select is a 6 volt system, cleverly paired with a head unit that has been sold as a 13.2v for the past 10 years.

Seems (to me) like a pretty clear case of Niterider trying to fool the consumer. For whatever reason, I don't even see it listed on the Niterider website.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    The issue is that the Select is a 6 volt system, cleverly paired with a head unit that has been sold as a 13.2v for the past 10 years.

Seems (to me) like a pretty clear case of Niterider trying to fool the consumer. For whatever reason, I don't even see it listed on the Niterider website.

The Select is probably a WalMar...I mean, Performance exclusive.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor
    While I actually intend to buy the Triple Shot, I am not sure that it is a great choice for use by itself. While it does put out a great flood of light, I don't think it has the reach for fast XC riding. Paired with a Double Shot it will work great, but as I said, I don't know if I would want one as my only light.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the NR stuff.

Keith
    I agree with Keith. The Triple Shot just doesn't project far enough. The Double Shot does, but it has very little light spill. Combined, they rock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Maybe I should just take back the Niterider Classic Select and spend another $90 on the Classic plus? Any recommendations for a light for 2-3 hours rids at the most on fireroads and single track for around $250? The nightrider seems nice b/c it has two lights side by side and thus has more spill-over I would assume. In general, I think I want to start with a handlebar-mounted light and see if I get much into niteriding....

b

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirob
    Maybe I should just take back the Niterider Classic Select and spend another $90 on the Classic plus? Any recommendations for a light for 2-3 hours rids at the most on fireroads and single track for around $250? The nightrider seems nice b/c it has two lights side by side and thus has more spill-over I would assume. In general, I think I want to start with a handlebar-mounted light and see if I get much into niteriding....

b

For halogen, I would look at Jet Lites Phantom or Starfire with Smart Switch. They have a much better charger, much less problems with their electronics, and a much better mount. And the service couldn't be better. The 20W will give ~2.5 hours with the stock battery on high and ~3 hours with 4500mAh pack on high. If you drop it down for the climbs, it will last even longer. The 20W provides a nice hot spot with good fill. I haven't ridden with the 12W but it looks like a tighter pattern, not as bright but obviously burns a lot longer.

Personally, I don't see any value in having a 32W bar light. I've ridden with almost exclusively with a single helmet light for many years (20W Jet Phantom and now HID) and greatly prefer it to just a bar mount. YMMV
    Long Live Long Rides

Do It Yourself

b

For halogen, I would look at Jet Lites Phantom or Starfire with Smart Switch. They have a much better charger, much less problems with their electronics, and a much better mount. And the service couldn't be better. The 20W will give ~2.5 hours with the stock battery on high and ~3 hours with 4500mAh pack on high. If you drop it down for the climbs, it will last even longer. The 20W provides a nice hot spot with good fill. I haven't ridden with the 12W but it looks like a tighter pattern, not as bright but obviously burns a lot longer.

Personally, I don't see any value in having a 32W bar light. I've ridden with almost exclusively with a single helmet light for many years (20W Jet Phantom and now HID) and greatly prefer it to just a bar mount. YMMV
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I assumed that a higher watt bar libht, like the double lite of the niterider would spread the light out a bit, giving you both the advantage of shadows to monitor the terrain, but spreading the light wide as if you had a helmet light (and can look around). Also, I had read a few people had some neck pain after using a helmet mounted light, and my neck is already a bit tweeked. Are these asumptions wrong?

b

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Also - any opinion on the light and motion ARC system vs. the Jet lights?

b

The nightrider seems nice b/c it has two lights side by side and thus has more spill-over I would assume. In general, I think I want to start with a handlebar-mounted light and see if I get much into niteriding....
    Not necessarily. Take the time to check into what bulbs Niterider outfits their retail head units with. They have both spot and flood patterns available in various wattages. An the beams pretty much overlap.

I've been riding with a Classic bar mount for about 10 years (new batteries & bulbs, but same head unit). It's a good light, but like Homebrew mentioned, you really need a good helmet mount to tie it all together. 32w on the handlebar is great for bombing down a sweeping trail, but isn't going to do shit for you on twisty singletrack or slow, technical stuff.

Handlebar mount only = tunnel effect (albeit a mighty bright tunnel!).
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Perhaps it would be best to purchase a Light and Motion ARC that way I can mount it on the helmet or the bar since I am new to this stuff ???

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Also - any opinion on the light and motion ARC system vs. the Jet lights?
    b
    Both are excellent products. Can't go wrong either way.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    The Select is probably a WalMar...I mean, Performance exclusive.
    Uh oh, I wonder how kind their return policy is. I bought one a couple months ago, and I am wondering how I can unload it.

That said, I am considering a Evolution Plus or whatever MSRP $240ish in conjuction with the NR Classic Select, or return the NR Classic Select and plunk down for some TurboCat products, or other manuf. I like halogen because the replacement bulbs are not an arm, leg, and left nut.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Perhaps it would be best to purchase a Light and Motion ARC that way I can mount it on the helmet or the bar since I am new to this stuff ???
    The ARC is a great product, and Light and Motion are good folks. It's a bit more $$ than the NiteRider, but it's a very good light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    The ARC is a great product, and Light and Motion are good folks. It's a bit more $$ than the NiteRider, but it's a very good light.
    James -

You may remember steering me towards the triple shot to pair with my doubleshot. But, considering that I have found the ARC NiMH for $271, would you recommend spending an extra $70 to buy it over the triple shot?

My options seem to be:
    • Double Shot Only (Not happening)
    • Triple + Double
    • ARC + Double
    • ARC Only

Sorry for the hijack, but hopefully this will be useful for the OP too.

Keith
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor
    James -

You may remember steering me towards the triple shot to pair with my doubleshot. But, considering that I have found the ARC NiMH for $271, would you recommend spending an extra $70 to buy it over the triple shot?

My options seem to be:
    • Double Shot Only (Not happening)
    • Triple + Double
    • ARC + Double
    • ARC Only
    Sorry for the hijack, but hopefully this will be useful for the OP too.

Keith
    The ARC and Double Shot are a great combo as well. The tight beam of the Double Shot compliments the broad ARC beam. That being said, the Triple Shot is more durable, if you are prone to crashing, and the batteries are the same for the Double and Triple Shots, giving you some redundancy there. The ARC is very bright, much brighter than the Triple Shot, so if you want as much light as possible, that's the route to go.

The ARC alone is a fine setup, too, whereas the Triple shot doesn't project far enough on it's own, but fills in the Double Shot nicely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the hijack - I'm conisdering an ARC NiMH hudride as well - just out of curiousity, where can you get it for $271?

thanks

b

It's always greener
    Seriously, where did you find it for $271??

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonhead
    Unfortunately, I cannot find it again. It was a combination of a sale price + a 20% coupon. But believe me, if I see it (or anything like it) again I will let everyone know.

I did, however, find it for $305 at Cambria. $339 + 10% off with the coupon on the home page.

Keith
    Last edited by xjbaylor; 11-30-2006 at 06:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Well for what it is worth I bought a classic select and am liking it so far, I was lucky and went into the store and picked it up for $120. I've used this light on my single speed and road bike and think the 3 beam options work just fine. The battery issue is simple if you know how to solder. You can buy the battery, charger, and necessary wires for MUCH less than a higher capacity Niterider... It's a10Ah system where the stock is 4Ah.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2853

Actually, the wiser option may have been to invest $39 bucks in a Battery Space 12v, 5000mAh battery, purchase two 12v bulbs from Niterider, and converted your system.

I really don't have anything against a 6v system -- I run one on my helmet -- but it doesn't make much sense for a dual-beam setup.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Now I'm thinking I need to convert! Excuse my ignorance but I'm guessing the headlamp wiring would be able to handle the 12V juice as opposed to 6V? I don't know what the gauge limits are....

Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz
    Now I'm thinking I need to convert! Excuse my ignorance but I'm guessing the headlamp wiring would be able to handle the 12V juice as opposed to 6V? I don't know what the gauge limits are....
    I can only assume, for the sake of simplicity & economy, that Niterider is building the 6v Select with the same switches, wires and connectors as the 12v Classic. Because these are mechanically (not electronically) switched, there isn't an issue there.

Then you can save that 6v battery for an inexpensive Head Trip or Trail Rat or whatever they're calling that single beam halogen unit of theres -- which, by the way, makes a great bar-mount loaner for a lightless buddy should the situation present itself.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonhead
    Still not there, but $280 at Performancebike.com right now if you use their 20% off coupon.

Keith