Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NiteRider 15w HID to LED

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  PaintPeelinPbody 
#1 ·
My buddy has got 4 HID NiteRiders, most of them with dead NiCad batteries. Most of them also have the 15w bulbs installed.

He recently picked up a Exposure MaxxD, so he doesn't really need the NiteRiders, but he was gonna offer them up to friends who don't have kits.

What's the most cost effective use of these? New batteries? LED conversion? BikeLight Museum?

#2 ·
I have had many Hid lights & 13 to 15 w Hid are ok,Quite good. I have also had 30 w Hid & that was a power house, But now on a LED light setup that has more power, more options & more run time.

Never start behind the 8 ball Buy what you would buy if money wasn't the issue, Spend more, ride more. enjoy more

Let your legs be what holds you back not your light.

#4 ·
you're probably better off selling the heads on eBay and buying a couple of Magicshines. Those bulbs and ballasts do go out (in fact, I know someone who has a duff NR HID ballast - I can put you in touch with him if you want) and the batteries are prohibitively expensive to buy from NR. Even buying a DIY battery pack will cost you similar money to a cheap MS light. LED conversions will be more hassle than they're worth as the HID housing isn't designed to dispel heat (it's almost all projected out the front) and LEDs have to be kept cool to work properly.

Kinda sucks I know, but that's the price of progress I guess!

#6 ·
LiIon Batterys for old 15w

Ok, so my neighbor said he'd buy batteries to run the old NiteRiders.

He's got one advantage though, his dad is really big into R/C stuff...so lots of battery chargers and batteries laying around.

for those old 15w bulb, are they still 6 volt? So a 7.2volt battery would give a slight overvolt?

We're probably want a 6000mAh battery right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.