mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Nite Hawk AL-X switch bad?

Hi all--I am looking for a helmet mount led light and see the Nite Hawk AL-X selling in the $100 range at Nashbar. The price is right for me, but reading the reviews on this light I see there is (was?) a power switch problem. Apparently it was just too hard to press(?) for all reviewers. Does anyone have this light, and has the switch problem been fixed by Night Hawk?

mtbr member
    Supposedly this was fixed by using a less stiff membrane with the switch.

I have one(new) and have no problems using it. It takes a pretty firm push (you feel a click) but it works fine.

What do you plan on using it for (i.e. commuting, only light etc...).

Gary

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. In the winter I will use it as a helmet light to compliment my old Cygolite 16w night rover set on my MB bars. I will just be riding on dirt roads and some local paths, nothing technical. In the warmer weather I will use it as the only headlight on my road bike bars for fitness riding at night when it is too hot in the day (in west Texas). I think it will be suitable for these purposes, and the price is right. How do you like yours? Tell me more about it.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 10-25-2007 at 10:42 PM.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    Thanks for the reply. In the winter I will use it as a helmet light to compliment my old Cygolite 16w night rover set on my MB bars. I will just be riding on dirt roads and some local paths, nothing technical. In the warmer weather I will use it as the only headlight on my road bike bars for fitness riding at night when it is too hot in the day (in west Texas). I think it will be suitable for these purposes, and the price is right. How do you like yours? Tell me more about it.
    The Nitehawk Emitter lights did (do) suffer from an overly stiff on/off switch.
    I first purchased a few sets from MEC and all their stock was older stock and were affected by this. I emailed Nitehawk and they told me they had some issues with early production runs and that they would repair the switch for free (sort of... it still cost me the postage to them). I then purchased a set of K2 Emitters and have had no problem with the switch on them.

The AL-X are no where near the brightness level of the K2 Emitter Nitehawks. In a direct comparison test using two bar mounted double lightset one from each model (AL-X & K2) on two bikes side by side the K2's was still brighter than the AL-X with only one light burning.

One thing I have also notice with Nitehawks Emitters, not all of the light pods are of the same brightness level. Some AL-X pods were actually brighter than others.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by denmikseb
    For your offroad riding, it would be a good compliment to your existing setup. The only problem I see is that you might be annoyed by the conflicting light colors. This light has amazing runtime to boot (more than 8 hours). I bought mine to compliment a K2 dual emitter setup and it is perfect for that. It is very spotty with hardly any light spill.

Not sure about using it for a sole road light. Isnt this a mtbr forum

I got mine from performance for about $70.

Gary

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by linklemming
    For your offroad riding, it would be a good compliment to your existing setup. The only problem I see is that you might be annoyed by the conflicting light colors. This light has amazing runtime to boot (more than 8 hours). I bought mine to compliment a K2 dual emitter setup and it is perfect for that. It is very spotty with hardly any light spill.

Not sure about using it for a sole road light. Isnt this a mtbr forum

I got mine from performance for about $70.

Gary
    I hadn't thought about the color difference. I assume the LED light will be whiter vs the yellowish halogens. Has anyone rode with this lighting mix? Is the color difference serious enough to be a dealbreaker in your opinion? Sorry I mentioned road bike on this forum, but RBR does not have "lights" in its forums.
    Last edited by denmikseb; 10-27-2007 at 10:53 AM.