mtbr member

NiNewt X2 Dual 2nd Generation Emitter?

Can anyone confirm which emitter the 2nd generation MiNewt X2 Dual has? I know the first generation had a Luxon 3W, but what does the 2nd generation have? I was thinking of doing the SSC P4 U-bin upgrade, but not knowing which actual emitter is in there now makes me wonder if it's worth cracking these open.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    Can anyone confirm which emitter the 2nd generation MiNewt X2 Dual has? I know the first generation had a Luxon 3W, but what does the 2nd generation have? I was thinking of doing the SSC P4 U-bin upgrade, but not knowing which actual emitter is in there now makes me wonder if it's worth cracking these open.
    If you don't want to pull it apart posting a nice closeup pic down the front will help.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    They have SSC P4 emitters. I don't know what bin. I put a U3 bin in one and it was brighter, but not enough to make it worth it in my opinion. That's mostly because it still wasn't good enough for singletrack. In the Dual, it may be a different story and it's very easy to do and the emitters are pretty cheap. If you search, there is a thread on the board all about this upgrade with lots of details and pictures.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    An XP-G on an 8mm board will easily swap for a P4. I have one, an XP-G R4, in my first generation Minewt head that I've modified to fit my Minewt Mini-USB. It's brighter but I lost the floody nature of the light: the original setup has a defocused spot so you end up with a floody beam with a large, smooth hotspot. With the XP-G it's more like a flashlight beam where there is a distinct hotspot with a large, bright corona around it.