mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nightlightning iblast

WOW!!!!

Just got the new 720 lumens iblast for Nightlightning - took 'em for a backyard test last night.

WOW!!

They are damn bright and have an excellent beam spread. I was dubious about LED - i'm now a believer.

My previous lighting rig consisted of a Jet dual beam (12 & 20 watt) and a 15 watt vistalight on the helmet.

The iblast is significantly brighter than the 20watt halogen - and a wider and cleaner beam. And the tiny 14.8v 2.2ah battery will run for 3 hours at full power (will field test this and report back)

Will take them out for a real test tonight. Will get some comparison beam shots when my mate with a manual digital comes over.

The whole unit is very robust and well made. Very simple and easy to understand instructions. The 3 step dimming function is easy to use with gloves on and logical to operate.

A couple of very small quibbles. The bar mount (from cateye) does not fit my 31.8mm bars (Alsitair, the Aussie distributer is sending me another one). The flat plate for the helmet mount has to bend to fit on my helmet and means the 'velcro' tabs do not fully engage - this will be a helmet specific issue and besides, will give me something to play with. As it is, it seems to be secure enough - and i'm gonna put it on the bars anyway

Sorry to shout.....but, WOW.

At significantly less cost than Triple shots and Wilma's - this has got to be the LED to buy.

A more thorough report will come after a few months of use.

Cheers,

Iain

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Atleast with Wilma you don't have to mess with mounts not fitting correctly, and Wilma is still brighter, thats why it costs more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, no disrespect Todd - i know Wilma is a great product.

But at almost exactly half the cost (over hear in Aussie) - cannot ignore the quality and brightness of Nightlightning.

Cheers,

Iain

mtbr member
    Got a link??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon_Addict
    Got a link??
    Yep, link attached.

http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/endurenz%20details.htm

Cheers,

Iain

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jawry
    Hey, no disrespect Todd - i know Wilma is a great product.

But at almost exactly half the cost (over hear in Aussie) - cannot ignore the quality and brightness of Nightlightning.

Cheers,

Iain
    Hey lain, no disrespect taken. I am interested to see what your light can do.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Hi Ian,

It’s great to hear you like the light! As you mention, be sure to give us a report after you’ve spent some time riding with it!

Alistair will sort you out with a new mount for the bars, but I do agree that the current helmet mounting arrangement doesn’t suit all helmet styles.

Ironically I actually use a Lupine mount on my Night Lightning based light for my oversize bars, and it works very well. I’d love to purchase a Lupine helmet mount for my system too, but the price here is just a little steep for me to justify it at this stage.

While I like Lupine for their quality and attention to detail, they are very much the Ferrari of the bike light world. There’s no denying that they are incredible lights, but there are plenty of other options out there they may be a little rougher, but just as good in terms of performance without the perceived pedigree.

What I like about Night Lightning is that everything is so flexible. Custom lead lengths, mounting options, controller types, optics and emitters are easily changed to make the perfect light for each individual. They may not be beauty queens, but they’re well made, bombproof and bright.

Dave.

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by jawry
    WOW!!!!

Just got the new 720 lumens iblast for Nightlightning - took 'em for a backyard test last night.

WOW!!

A more thorough report will come after a few months of use.

Cheers,

Iain
    So, Iain, how's that light worked out for you?
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers