Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Minewt x.2 Dual LED

12 80.00%
  • Pond Scum MR16 Halogens

3 20.00%
    At Work

Night Rider Minewt x.2 Dual or Build a Pond Scum Light Kit

Title says it all........... been looking at the Minewt Duals, cant decide if I should get them or build the pondscum lights..........

Any opinions, ideas??

Quack Attack
    I have the Duals (along with the SolMate for my helmet) and love them.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

At Work
    well, only 5 votes, so lookes like Minewts for me.

moe.
    Sep 2005

Absolutely love the ne MiNwets

Put s single on your helmet and you are good to go. The battery is so light that I actually mount that on my helmet too.
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

At Work
    have a trail rat for the helmet already, got it 2 years ago, it does ok, but after riding behind somebody with HIDs on bars and helmet I realized that it nicer to have more light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why not build a LED light with like 3 led's instead of the pond scum light?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    why not build a LED light with like 3 led's instead of the pond scum light?
    Because pond scum would be cheaper and simpler? That being said, I would personally choose to make a 3 LED light.

At Work
    I have looked at some of the LED threads, only got confused........... plus what is the cost?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    Because pond scum would be cheaper and simpler? That being said, I would personally choose to make a 3 LED light.
    Ya I undersatnd pond scum would be cheaper and simpler to make. But since one of his options was to build a light he could take it one step further and build one that is brighter than the Minewt dual and be probably cheaper than it also. Not as cheap as the pond scum but alot brighter than the pondscum. And I don't know his fabbing skills so that might be a factor in this also. Just thought I would throw that out thier incase he hasn't seen aceslot's good instructions on a 3 led setup or the others that are out there.

But ya I would vote for making a 3 LED setup if that is an option.

And and me if I had to choose vs the first 2 options I would probalby build the ond scum light as the Minewt Dual isn't all that bright vs store bought LED setups now and you get a real satisfaction of building your own lights and using them. Espically when you build more and more and they are better than the store bought ones and everyone asks where they can get your light I am now building my 4th light and it will probalby be even more after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cost varies by a large margin. LEDs play a large part, depending which ones you want and who you order from, metal and such for housing... and the battery you choose will play a large part.

LEDs might cost you between $30-60 (depends on things like P4 vs. Q5, cutter vs. dealextreme)
    Optics could cost you another $20 or so
    Driver: a bFlex will be around $30
    Housing and wire... really depends on what kind of places you have locally
    Battery... probably $50-90 depending on where (online) you order it from and more so, what type you want (NiMH vs. Li-Ion)... then you still need a charger and the appropriate connectors which may or may not be included.
    ..and there will some other costs: bolts, thermal adhesive, epoxy, etc...

A DIY 3 LED could run you from maybe $170-250 (potentially cheaper or more expensive but I would guess most people doing the achesalot style light will be in that range)

At Work
    Isn't the Minewt X.2's brighter than the original Minewt's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think it is roughly twice as bright... not sure if that is why the "X2" or not though.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    Not as cheap as the pond scum but alot brighter than the pondscum.
    How bright is a 3 led setup? I get the impression that a 20% overvolted MR-16 is really freakin' bright. I guess I'll know soon.