mtbr member
    Sep 2005

night lightning iblast questions

I am thinking about buying one of the iblaast lights from night lightning and wanted to see what people thought about this light and if anyone had some beam shots. Also how much cheaper would it be to buy the housing from night lightning and buy the rest of the parts separately than to buy the diy kit from them. Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Hi Sean,

Personally unless you already have your own emitters and driver, or would like to use something radically different that isn’t offered through Night Lightning, you are probably just better off getting it all from Night Lightning to begin with.

By the time you buy everything separately elsewhere you will definitely spend more then the cost of the DIY kit with everything included. If you shoot them an email you’ll find they will be very helpful if there’s something you want to do that’s a little different.

There have been a couple of reviews in the last fortnight here on the forums. I think a couple of guys are working on getting some beam shots.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the help Dave.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I had my iblaast delivered today and took it out for a go on the nearby singletrack loop. It was absolutely fantastic & really white!! Great flood and huge amount of distance.
    Then compared it against a niterider flight. The iblaast had a slightly less flood, but more distance then the fligh and it really made the HID have a blue glow.
    I am so glad i bought this over a HID... Also - the adjustability of your light settings it pretty cool too!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you would like some beam shots of how the iBlaast compares to two other HID's mail me at
    NightLightningSA1@gmail.com
    The pics are large but I'll try to compress them a little so that it's not a pain to download.

or Mail Eric direct at evh@xtra.co.nz for the beam comparison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been a little bit slack (what with moving house and all) - have had the iBlast out about a dozen times so far - still damned impressed.

There is a good article comparing high power LED's in an Aussie MTB mag - great beam shots.

When i get back to brissie i will scan and post the beam shots - unless someone beats me to it.

Jawry

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Jawry, that would be great if you could post those. I am still on the fence about buying it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    GLad you like the light Jawry.
    I've been running Nightlightning products for 4 years now and have not had issues.. In fact loved them so much a mate and I decided to distribute them.
    we run iBlaast!! on the helmet bars and an upgraded Blaast on the bars. Running boths gives us 1440 lumens off light for around 6 hours. Dim them too about 500lumen and it's an Edison competitor and much more robust.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    GLad you like the light Jawry.
    In fact loved them so much a mate and I decided to distribute them.
    Any chance of a "good" price for fellow forumites?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    No disrespect to Brad intended, but considering that he is the South African distributor and you are an Australian customer, you will be a lot better off dealing directly with Eric in New Zealand or Alistair who is the Australian distributor.

And you’re after a “good” price?!

Personally, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a quality LED based light with this kind of output anywhere else any cheaper.

More information on the website.

Dave.

mtbr member

hid, led, Halogen comparison

Ok, here is a good look at some lights. I used a Panasonic digital camera set for night pictures so I assume the exposure rate is auto may not give a true indication of brightness. I also did not use a tripod so the pictures are a little blurry. The pictures do not give a true indication of the light output or the colour temperature as seen with the naked eye, but it is a indication.
    Picture 1 is a 20w 12 volt 12 degree (dispersion) halogen over driven with 14.4v.
    Picture 2 is a popular HID light with the Solarc lamp.
    Picture 3 is a LED Blaast
    Picture 4 is a LED iBlaast
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    From my interpretation of your EFIX data, it looks like a fair comparison as the important settings are all there same for all shots. As you say, colour temperature won’t be overly accurate.

Enjoy your light!

Dave.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider

Personally, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a quality LED based light with this kind of output anywhere else any cheaper.

I've just ordered some new Cree Ay-ups. For around $450AU you get 2 lighsets, 2x3hr batteries, 1 6hr battery, wall & car charger, softcase, mounts (for helmet and bar), 10yr warranty on lights, 1yr on battery, and claimed minimum 1000 lumens (combined) in a 300gram package.

Pretty good deal I reckon.

And no they haven't added an on & off switch, but that is coming along with high and low power.

By the way, I don't have any connections to the company, I'm just an impressed customer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How far is the bush. What is the lumen output of the iBlast.

Thanks

MB

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kbryant
    I've just ordered some new Cree Ay-ups. For around $450AU you get 2 light sets, 2x3hr batteries, 1 6hr battery, wall & car charger, soft case, mounts (for helmet and bar), 10yr warranty on lights, 1yr on battery, and claimed minimum 1000 lumens (combined) in a 300gram package.
    You won’t get 1000 lumens out of four P4 binned Cree XR-E emitters, as Ay Up claim to be using.

You may get pretty close with four Q4 or Q5 binned Cree XR-E emitters however.

Quote Originally Posted by MB
    What is the lumen output of the iBlast.
    On paper 720 lumens is the magical number, as you would see in a glossy magazine article.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    How far is the bush. What is the lumen output of the iBlast.

Thanks

MB
    The lights were placed 8 meters from the bush. Please see http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/ for manufacturers spec.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The iBlaast is 720Lumen when set to 1A drive current and that gives 5.5hrs with a 4400mAhr Li-ion battery.
    You ca run it at 0.7 A as well to get longer burn out of the battery. Lumen output is around 550Lumen at this setting which is still plenty bright.

Yeah I'm in SA so you'd be better off talking to the Aussie distributors. Their addy is on the Nightlightning website.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Eric has thrown up a few beam shots on the website.

I haven’t been in contact with him for a while so I don’t think I have any fresh info or anything new to report!

Dave.

mtbr member
    Still learning about LEDs . . .help me out . . this light has three LEDs, each one puts out 240 lumens @ 750 ma. So is that a total draw of 2.25 A to get 720 lumens?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by dgwright
    Still learning about LEDs . . .help me out . . this light has three LEDs, each one puts out 240 lumens @ 750 ma. So is that a total draw of 2.25 A to get 720 lumens?
    For series circuits (as most LEDs are), the current is for the whole circuit - but the voltage must be higher than the sum of forward voltage - SSC P4s are about 3.5V each. So 10.5V for a triple, but all 3 see the 750mA current. A beauty thing about LEDs.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yes thats correct, 3.6V ea is the voltage for the SSC P4's.

But iBlaast runs at >750mA...

mtbr member
    Doh! I realized about an hour after I posted they are series wired. So you drop 3.7V across each LED . . . The iBlast is one of the best lights I've seen, especially at that price.
    Thanks . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    You won’t get 1000 lumens out of four P4 binned Cree XR-E emitters, as Ay Up claim to be using.

You may get pretty close with four Q4 or Q5 binned Cree XR-E emitters however.

On paper 720 lumens is the magical number, as you would see in a glossy magazine article.
    http://www.ayup.com.au/specs.php#CREE%20LIGHTSETS

Ayup are running cree q3 at 500ma only. so 240lumen at the led for two led setup per light is possible, so only about 200lumen after the lens. for $380 two light setup with three batteries, you only get 400lumen total. much less then 600 lumen iBlaast offers at Nightlighting 720lumen 3 ssc u-bin at the led driven at 1000ma. Dinotte 600L uses ssc u-bin at 1000ma current draw also, so I think the lens for each manufacture make up the biggest difference.