swag ho Administrator

Nifty Dinotte and Niterider configurations

Ok, I'm writing up my shootout. But I got distracted last night by a couple brain farts. They are :

1) Dinotte 600L as a helmet mount. The small battery is mounted on the helmet for a 'no-wires' system. Having no wires going to the camelback is key since there won't be any tugging at your head. Weight is 320 grams and it should last 1:45 hours at the highest setting

2) Niterider Trinewt with the Minewt battery. The small battery is 176 grams vs. 394 for the big one. It works and seems to be just as bright. It lasts more than a couple hours but it seems to dim quite a bit after 2 hours

3) Dinotte 200 with 3 light heads. The Dinotte is a flexible system. 1,2, 3,4 light heads on 1 battery. Choose your poison. I have a red tail light pictured here as the third light just as an example.
    This should last 2.5 hours.

These are all unapproved configurations but I will talk to the manufacturers about them.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I wonder about carrying the battery on the helmet when it is really no big deal to put the batter in a fanny pack, camel back, or jersey pocket?

People complain about heavy light heads in the first place and then to add the battery weight to the helmet doesn't make sense to me.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    I wonder about carrying the battery on the helmet when it is really no big deal to put the batter in a fanny pack, camel back, or jersey pocket?

People complain about heavy light heads in the first place and then to add the battery weight to the helmet doesn't make sense to me.
    These are just options and they're not for everyone.

One of the things that bother me about helmet lights is the wire tethered to my camelback.
    - have to put on camelback and helmet at the same time. Same goes for taking them off.
    - the wire at the back of my helmet either tugs at my head sometimes or gets in my face

The other thing is I don't think all riders use camelbacks. Jersey pocket is not the greatest spot for the battery.

I've been riding the 100 gram Exposure Joystick, self contained light on the helmet and that's a new experience!

fc
    Last edited by francois; 12-19-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the thing i also wonder about with the NR setup is that you would have to buy a trinewt and a minewt for you to be able to swap batteries around since they don't come with both batteries. Doesn't seem like a logical thing to me as most people aren't going to buy both so you can run the smaller battery on the helmet.

mtbr member
    I think the main issue is current draw, most batteries used in lights are rated to perform well at 0.4C, where C is the capacity. Basically, that means a battery that provides ~2.5h of run time on paper. Drawing more current from a battery is hard on them and shortens their lifetimes. Many light system (especially older ones) only run 2h (or less) at full power, which contributes to the short life of some batteries.

That doesn't mean you can't do it.

For helmet mounted, I like the DiNotte with the battery on the helmet, I don't use a camelback, and my jerseys don't always have pockets. The whole thing is lighter and more balanced than my old Niterider Halogen.

Light freak
    [SIZE="6"]Amoeba[/SIZE]
    Lighthead and battery total weight - 173 grams
    Regulated runtime of 3 hours
    With Cree R2's ~ 520 lumens

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Brent right on,,, This is my only complaint. Otherwise I have been really happy with the quality/ price. Look around you can get sweet deals on the NR!

mtbr member

ET Phone home...

thought i would added another Nifty Dinotte configuration

I purchased a 600L and 200L combo from Dinotte and was running 200L on helmet. Thought it would be nice to have a little more light on the helmet so .......

havent tried it yet but basement tests all point to sweet!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf

When I use my 200L as a headlamp I prefer the battery on the helmet. I don't really notice and I like lack of a wire off of the back of my helmet. Of course I have a fat neck holding up a fatter head.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    thought i would added another Nifty Dinotte configuration

I purchased a 600L and 200L combo from Dinotte and was running 200L on helmet. Thought it would be nice to have a little more light on the helmet so .......

havent tried it yet but basement tests all point to sweet!!
    That is so cool!!

I think flexibility is one of the great features of this 200L.

I want four 200L on my bar to match your helmet. And maybe that super tail light.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How about using the Trinewt battery on a Minewt Dual X2 setup? Would this fry the lights or would it be fine? Any idea on runtime?

Another not recommended (by manufacturer) setup is using the Minewt Duals as helmet lights... it works nicely for me!

http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/4/3/6...nextX2dual.jpg

(Yes, this was my Christmas setup... sadly the Santa hat is no longer on my helmet.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    How about using the Trinewt battery on a Minewt Dual X2 setup? Would this fry the lights or would it be fine? Any idea on runtime?

Another not recommended (by manufacturer) setup is using the Minewt Duals as helmet lights... it works nicely for me!

http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/4/3/6...nextX2dual.jpg

(Yes, this was my Christmas setup... sadly the Santa hat is no longer on my helmet.)

I have both the Trinewt and Minewt X2 and was curious about the same thing so I called NR and asked them. They said absoulty no. They may have been just covering their asses, but the output may be different.

You would have to have the specs on both batteries to find out for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    francois- I hate to derail a bit but if you have not seen this comment already, here it is:

HIDTechnologies
    Says:
    February 19th, 2008 at 6:17 pm
    How do I get you a light for submission into the test?

This comment by HID Technologies caught my eye because their HIDs look incredibly impressive and they also make LED lights now. I don't know much about their LEDs but their highest-end HID is probably the brightest and maybe even the widest out there. It is an Aussie company and their products look light and well made.