Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Next bar light

mtbr member
    May 2005

Next bar light

A few pics of what may become my next bar light housing. It will hold 6 XPGs on 10mm stars using the Cute SS 35mm triple optic. Planning to use an H6Flex. Looked OK on paper but after starting cutting it, I'm not sure everything will fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Next bar light-p1020475.jpg  

Next bar light-p1020482.jpg  

Next bar light-p1020483.jpg  

mtbr member
    6 XP-Gs should be enough Why not XM-L though, then you'd be able to use the EVA 35mm reflector?

where's the driver going, at the back? Kind of hard to tell from the pictures..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    6 XP-Gs should be enough Why not XM-L though, then you'd be able to use the EVA 35mm reflector?

where's the driver going, at the back? Kind of hard to tell from the pictures..
    XPGs because I already have them and the optics. They also work better with an existing 14.4V battery setup I have.

Driver is planned to go into a slot cut in the bottom, behind the LED cavity. I only have the outside shape milled in these pics. I'll start on the LED cavity next.

mtbr member
    ah, gotya, figured it might have been something along those lines. If you have them, you might as well use them!

out of curiosity, why is the shape at the back the way it is?

looking forward to the rest of it - less chat, more machining

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    out of curiosity, why is the shape at the back the way it is?

looking forward to the rest of it - less chat, more machining
    The back is shaped to kind of mirror the shape that the triple optics and LED cavity will be. This is my first attempt at using a CAD/CAM software to generate the CNC program for a shape.

More machining it is! A start on the LED/optic cavity. The pic is from my phone, so not too good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Next bar light-iphone-022.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looking very nice...can't wait to see the finished product.
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Project revived

Finally got my lazy a$$ back on building. Led cavity is finished and the optics cut and glued together. Change of direction from my original plan. Still going to be 6 XPGs but I am going to run them 2S3P with an Lflex and a 7.2V battery. I know there are possibly issues with parallel strings, but I'll try it. I have done a couple lights with series MCEs in parallel and they have been fine. It will have a remote switch like my current MCE bar light. I'm making a few extra switch housings in case anyone has an interest. They will be similar to the one in this thread....

Another dual MC-E

except made of black Delrin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Next bar light-dscn0409_004.jpg  

Next bar light-dscn0413_006.jpg  

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Looking really good mate. You will certainly get plenty of light. My 7up xpg/xpe is still my favourite because the optics match so well.

I love the way you've undercut the optic support to reduce weight

I look forward to seeing the finished light.

mtbr member
    Looks very neat and very different. It's always good when someone pushes the boundaries of what is possible as it opens up different lines of thought.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tried to do some more work on the light and remote switch housings today, but the DRO on my mill wouldn't turn on. Looks like some trouble with a voltage regulator. Supposed to have 5V out of one board but only getting 3.8V. I'll have to do a bit of looking for parts Monday.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Damn electronic Gremlins ruining a good night. hope you get it fixed soon.

mtbr member
    looking very neat, looking forward to the rest

mtbr member
    Nice to see that this light is finally going to come alive.
    you have given an idea!
    Could you recommend a glue for gluing optics together please.

good luck with your build

mtbr member
    Very cool looking light!

Since you are into super minimalist designs, I'll ask here and hopefully not threadjack. A while back, Troutie posted a pic of a triple XPG that mounted on the front of his bars. It was barely even there. I PM'd him about whether it worked or not, but haven't heard back. Any of you try that? Seems like you could run a couple of L334's, maybe one throw one flood and use the bars and body as heatsink and just run a y cable to them through a switch.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Strange I did reply to you via the email on your message.

The upshot of it was I never got around to ordering the boards from Quazzle.
    so the little beasty never got used

I am sure it would work well apart from the reflections from the cables

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty View Post
    Could you recommend a glue for gluing optics together please.
    I just used some model cement because it is clear and has a fairly thick consistency. The optics are made of a type of acrylic. Acrylic is a very easy plastic to glue. Don't use superglue as it "clouds" the optics usually

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Since you are into super minimalist designs, Seems like you could run a couple of L334's, maybe one throw one flood and use the bars and body as heatsink
    I have carbon bars so have never built anything that would use them for heatsinking. That has been done, to the best of my memory, by others.

When Quazzle's module was announced I planned a tiny build for a helmet light with one. I dropped the idea after discovering the Carclo 20mm triple optic's beam shape is not to my liking. I love the idea of minimal builds, but not at the sacrifice of a beam I like.

mtbr member
    How bad is the beam with a narrow clear? That's what I have - and a narrow frosted.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How bad is the beam with a narrow clear? That's what I have - and a narrow frosted.
    I don't want to say it's a bad beam, it just is too much flood and not much throw with XPGs for my preference. I don't like having much light spread out to the sides. I find the shadows that creates to be an eye catching distraction. Offroadbent says the throw is good with XPEs.

My gut feeling is that the light in this thread will have more flood than I want. If it does, it will be easy to find a new home for it and build something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I don't want to say it's a bad beam, it just is too much flood and not much throw with XPGs for my preference. I don't like having much light spread out to the sides. I find the shadows that creates to be an eye catching distraction. Offroadbent says the throw is good with XPEs.

My gut feeling is that the light in this thread will have more flood than I want. If it does, it will be easy to find a new home for it and build something else.
    Why not build it with XPE from the start? Plenty of LED's and the XPE, from the pictures that I've seen, really does have a smaller beam.
    "It looks flexy"

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Why not build it with XPE from the start? Plenty of LED's and the XPE, from the pictures that I've seen, really does have a smaller beam.
    I am still quite partial to the XPE's as their beam pattern is always good and because i drive them 750-1000mA I always get good battery life

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ha, good question. Mainly because it uses up most of the XPGs I have on hand. Everyone asks about XMLs now.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Vancbiker

My gut feeling is that the light in this thread will have more flood than I want. If it does, it will be easy to find a new home for it and build something else.[/QUOTE]

If you do find it has too much flood you could try sanding then poilishing the bobbles off the optic. It worked for me on my quad when I polished the bobbles of two of the lenses and left the other two as was to create a wide beam with a hot spot in the centre.

mtbr member
    May 2005

A little more progress

Finally managed a little more time for working on the light. A cavity for the power cable connector and wire passage into the LED cavity have been machined in. The connector is an M8 3 pole (though I'll only be using 2poles). Also pretty much finished up a batch of remote switch housings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Next bar light-dscn0451.jpg  

Next bar light-dscn0453.jpg  

Next bar light-dscn0456.jpg  

Next bar light-dscn0464.jpg  

Next bar light-dscn0466.jpg  

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Looking great mate and I love the remote switches. I was wondering how you were progressing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast