Cycle Solutions

New Trail Tech complete system

Ok, many of us here know how good the trail tech lighting systems are. Only problem has been that Batteryspace, or any other mail order company to put it in a bicycle system, leave a lot to be desired in the reliability/warranty/customer service department. My friend has been in communications with Trail Tech for almost a year now regarding a bicycle kit right from them. Until now they havent been able to come up with a solution since Trail Tech did not offer a Li-Ion battery and NiMH is not appropriate for such a powerful system (battery would weigh a ton!). Well Trail Tech now offers a Li-Ion battery that gives I think a 3 hour burn time. It is about 1/2 the size of the batteryspace water bottle battery. The best part is that you no longer have to deal with the nightmare that is Batteryspace to get this system. I think you have to email the TrailTech customer service department still and request the system (don't think it is on their webpage yet) but he got his in about 4 days (as opposed to the 3 weeks I waited for mine from Batteryspace) and TrailTech are very quick and easy to communicate with (and they speak fluent english, bonus ) Total cost for system with shipping ect I think was a little over $400 Canadian which really makes any $800 NiteRider/LIM/BLT/Cateye system look like a joke since it is 3x brighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought my 30WT HID from batteryspace and can not complain about the postage time. It took 8 days from the time I ordered for the parcel to arrive at home in Australia.

What I don't like is the mount on the light that causes the light to mave around too much. I have now mounted mine below the bars and this seems to work better. Looking at the light from batteryspace an dther one from trailtech it looks like the trailtech one has a much more sensible mount. Can you check yours and your friends lights and confirm whether the light bracket on the Trailtech one is different and much better.

Cycle Solutions
    The bar mount bracket is better but still not awesome. It is not like the tubular chassis mounts that they have on their page for some reason, though I'm sure you could request that type of mount if you gave them the diameter of the bar they could work it out for you. My friend jerry rigged his to his helmet with some zip ties and an old NiteRider helmet mount. Helmet is definately the way to go. He went with the spot beam and I have the flood. For scaring the local underage drinking population the spot is much more fun. It is better in double track too. But for 24 hour racing here in Canada I think the flood beam is more practical as it is unmatched in the singletrack. A hybrid of the two would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks,

Have you mounted yours on the helmet as well? I would like to but I was expecting it to be very heavy on top of my head. I was thinking of putting the bracket into a vent on the helmet but then it nearly touches my head so in an accident I think it could be pushed onto myhead which could be quite nasty.

I bought the spot which I agree is great for scaring underage drinkers in the underpasses. Basically my commute is 23km with maybe 5km unlight bike path though a forest area, 15km of unlite bikepath closer to roads and 3km of firetrail to the back of my house. I am finding I can ride the bike path in the forest area as fast during the night as I can during the day with this light.

I am going in a 24hour race with 2 other guys in 6 weeks and hope the light will make therace much safer and more fun.

Paste eater
    I first bought the Battery Space kit. The Battery fried the light which then fried the battery, and BS left me high and dry (f*ckers). I did get a whole season out of it ( that was sarcastic folks)

Since then, i've wised up and bought directly from Trail tech. The helmet kit, that IS listed on their website is like 230 bucks shipped. It's the same HID light, smaller battery and better connections. My only complaint is the on/off switch ends up in a wierd place (in my pack). but whatever, it's as bright or bright than my buddies niterider and 1/2 the price.

Paste eater
    Oh, it is a little heavy, but by no means an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jwind - is yours the 30WT HID or 10 or 13WT?

Paste eater
    http://trailtech.net/helmet_light_kits.html

Exact same light as the Battery space light, but black, if that matters...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK, mine is the equivalent of the SCMR16 with 1850 lumens and is about 430 grams compared to about 250g for the MR11. I will have to try rigging something up with zipties and see ifit feels to heavy.

Paste eater
    So I guess it's the 13W HID. I can't imagine strapping the MR16 (30W) to my helmet. It would be WAY overkill IMO. I's much rather put the $$ towards a bar mount or something. THough to be complelty honest, I'm so satisfied with my current light, another bar mount would be more hassle than it's worth.

so in short,

good: http://trailtech.net/helmet_light_kits.html

bad: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2784

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    So I guess it's the 13W HID. I can't imagine strapping the MR16 (30W) to my helmet. It would be WAY overkill IMO. I's much rather put the $$ towards a bar mount or something. THough to be complelty honest, I'm so satisfied with my current light, another bar mount would be more hassle than it's worth.

so in short,

good: http://trailtech.net/helmet_light_kits.html

bad: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2784
    I had the MR 16 mounted to my helmet and it was no big deal. Pointing the light at owls across a canyon or following deer with the light is amazing. My little 15w HID doesn't even compare to this 30w. No question that I rode faster at night with the 30w HID.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, I agree the brigtness is amazing. I still find myself pulling over to the side on skinny winding roads thinking there is a car coming the other way but it is just my light shining into the bush.