Do It Yourself

New NiteRider LED light: TriNewt 500 Lumens @ $400

Check out the new NiteRider LED lights. They have taken advantage of the newer light engines and redone the Minewt.X2 with 150 Lumens. They also added a couple of other lower versions but the most interesting new light is the 3 LED TriNewt which they have rated at close to 500 Lumens and starts at $400. Being NR they have to add some gagety crap for extra dough. This time it's a wireless switch for an extra $100...uh, no thanks. The light switch/electronics are probably located in the battery so it's less than ideal for a DIY battery mod but overall, it looks like a pretty good setup for general consumption. This is getting much closer to HID in terms of dollars/lumen. I can't wait to see beam shots and side-by-side comparisons with other lights. James???

http://www.niterider.com/prod_trinewt.shtml

REI has it listed but not in stock yet:
    http://www.rei.com/product/761102
    Long Live Long Rides

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Likewise I知 very interested to see some beam shots. Judging by the reflector design, I知 expecting quite a floody beam.

I知 slowly working on convincing my LBS in to lending me one for the night. They seem to think that they値l have one in stock very soon.

It痴 nice to see prices starting to become a little more realistic.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    James???
    Working on it.

mtbr member

Trinewt

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    ..Likewise I知 very interested to see some beam shots. Judging by the reflector design, I知 expecting quite a floody beam...Dave.
    ...you would think...still, you never know with LED lights. I've been waiting with baited breath for someone to come out with a design ( three in one integrated reflector light head ) like this. Like everyone else, I can't wait to see some beam shots with this light and hear some reviews. This (3-LED) integrated reflector design could be setting a new standard when it comes to LED lights. I can't help but wonder how Niterider managed to handle the heat build-up with 3 LED's being so close together. I also like the idea of the wireless remote although not necessary if you are bar mounting. Not sure I would spend the extra $100 but it's still a nice option if you have deep pockets. If this light is a flood pattern light, it would be nice if Niterider had the fore thought to develop a companion spot beam version for those who want to use it as a helmet light. The fact that Niterider is developing their own reflector optics can only mean that it will lead to more and more newer, better upgrades....like maybe a four or five integrated reflector....

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I’ve seen a few guys play around with their own home made triple and quad reflector clusters. Although it’s not always the case, generally you loose a substantial portion of the hotspot and throw, but gain very little in terms of flood too. Note that this is using existing reflectors, and so I guess a custom designed set up like the TriNewt could utilise a deeper, tighter design to try and regain a little throw and retain a hotspot.

Apart from size, I actually can’t see much of an advantage of using a cluster like this where the walls of the individual reflectors are removed or substantially cut down. Mind you, reflector design still confuses the hell out of me, so hopefully I’ll happily be proven wrong!

Dave.

I liked the old *****
    Jan 2004
    Any word on, or links to trinewt beam shots? As compared to NiteRider HID, or any of their Halogen ones would help.

I'm in need for new setup this Fall, but having a hard time with price. Knowing I could do HID on my SUV for the same price (Hi, Low, and Fog) is killer in my mind. Since I spend far more time on the bike at night, the SUV would be best suited for other mods (drooling over Westers).

I held off on HID due to LED progress, with hopes I'd skip straight to the LED - DIY or otherwise. Purchasing the Fenix L0D this Spring was a good sign. The dual-overvolted MR11 has sufficed for years, and it's time to move on. I'd be more inclined to [continue to] build off the 1 3/8" MR11 NR lights using CREE - even if I spend the same or more . . . just trying to balance if it's worth the time and trouble.

Thanks in advance.