mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New light or update old one?

I have an upcoming 12 hour race that will involve 3-4 hours of night riding.

I have a Cateye Doubleshot that I plan on using on my helmet, and want to use that with some sort of bar mounted light.

I have a 1998-ish Niterider Dual Beam. Pre-classic designation. The battery and charger are both shot, bulbs probably need to be replaced. Searching the forums here, I found that I can replace the battery and charger from Batteryspace for about $80, plus some new bulbs, probably gets me set up for close to $100.

With that in mind, should I spend the money to repair the Niterider, or would I be better off investing that money into a new system? If new lights, any suggestion on what will be a good complement to go with my Doubleshot?

If you suggest a new light, keep in mind, I wouldn't want to spend that much more than $100, but would probably spend up to $150 or so.

Thanks for your help!
    [

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I know, I am lame...

No feedback, so I will be lame and update my own thread.

I have been doing some research since my original post and have been thinking that I makes more sense to invest in a new system than to put $100 into my old Niterider Classics. It seems that I can probably get better burn times and as much light with a newer system.

My first thought was the super cheap way - something like a Princeton Tec Corona. Anyone use one of these on the trails. I am not expecting it to compete with a HIS, but is it enough light to even be useful?

Other lights I have looked into -

Niterider Minewt X2 for around $135. Looks like good burntime and reasonable brightness for a reasonable price. The only thing I don't like it that it is made by Niterider. Seems like good lights, but if you want an extra or battery, or anything, be prepared to pay out the nose.

Dinotte 200l for around $150. Seems like a very good company. Shorter burn times than the Minewt X2, but the ease of using AA batteries may make up for that.

Lastly, the Princeton Tec Switchback 1 for around $150. Seems similar to the Niterider in output and run times.

If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with these lights, please let me know. I need to order something in the next day or two.
    [

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

take a look here

Kona,

This is a review of the '07 offerings:

http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php

It doesn't mention the 200L which would be the one I'd put money on.