Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new light set

mtbr member

new light set

im going to be building a new light soon and have some questions.for a housing either im gonna find some one that can build me a one of a kind enclosure to my specs or a have a local machine shop make a number of them so i could then sell the ones i dont use. as soon as i have the cad plans done ill render some images to post here to see if anyones interested.

now for specs:
    Helmet light:
    Three Cree MC-E Variable from 350 to 700ma
    Taskled b2Flex driver
    carclo optics...not sure what angles yet...probably two floods and a spot or vice versa

Bar Light:
    Six Cree MC-E variable 350-700ma
    Taskled b2Flex driver
    not 100% sure on optics/reflectors yet

once i have pics up let me know if any one wants one so i can get them machined...i also have to find out a minimum order and if i need one.
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm sure I won't be the only one, but I'm Interested to hear why you chose those setups.

My thoughts:
    why 3 mce's at such low current from a bflex? for helmet use, you really need large (~35mm) optics to get a good beam. surely you're not running all those mce's in series or your battery will be some crazy voltage.

Bar light:
    same thing. Why mce's, and why the b2flex at such low current? you'd be better off with a boost driver like the maxflex or hyperboost.

Either way, I'd like to hear your plans and thoughts about both lights. using XP-G or XM-L you can get the same light with much less headache and material cost.
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    from what ive read the most ma that you can push into an MC-E is 700ma

and also from what ive read is that the MC-E's can put out 860lumens each @700ma so three on a helmet llight i think would be sufficient...as for optics im just guesing for now and im just gonna get a variety of optics to play with and test to decide what i like best.

that was another thing i was considering use XP-G's or XM-L for the lower cost
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    it may be to your advantage to delve into the MCE period of this forum and do some swotting. as it may be cheaper than buying optics and mces and finding out the optics are rubbish. all optics have been reviewed if you look for them . and most are not very good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    it may be to your advantage to delve into the MCE period of this forum and do some swotting. as it may be cheaper than buying optics and mces and finding out the optics are rubbish. all optics have been reviewed if you look for them . and most are not very good.
    swotting???

so should i got with and XM-L or XP-G?

i was thinking either this: http://www.ledsupply.com/creexpg-w417.php
    or this:
    http://www.ledsupply.com/creexml-w280.php
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Henry, your going to need some serious battery power to run 3/6 mc-e's, IIRC you'll need a 14.8v 5200Mah battery to get 2 hours run time with the 3 Mc-e's and a 14.8v 10400 mAh for the 6 Mc-e's @ 700ma
    Thats a 8 cell battery for your helmet light and 16 cell for the bar light!

I'll apologise in advance if my calculations are way off in advance

mtbr member
    for the single XM-L probably gonna use a regina but idk and US suppliers off-hand, and idk what optics/angle i would use for triple XP-G
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinda666
    Henry, your going to need some serious battery power to run 3/6 mc-e's, IIRC you'll need a 14.8v 5200Mah battery to get 2 hours run time with the 3 Mc-e's and a 14.8v 10400 mAh for the 6 Mc-e's @ 700ma
    Thats a 8 cell battery for your helmet light and 16 cell for the bar light!

I'll apologise in advance if my calculations are way off in advance
    that is also part of the problem..i would practically need a trailer to carry batteries for all of the lights...im no weight-weenie, but i think 24 batteries is gonna weigh me down more then i want
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My next light is gonna be a single Xm-l with an Lflex, got a 3.7v 5200mAh battery (2cell) and a 3.7v 2600mAh (for summer backup)
    Should see 900ish lumens @ 3A full whack for an hour and 3/4 which should be enough on my head and waiting on a 35mm Xm-l triple from cutter to use with a Bflex and a 14.8v 4800mAh battery which should be good for a couple of hours on the bars!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    700ma is around the top end for an MC-E in series. each die is approx 3.4v @700ma...13.6v just for one MC-E. Multiplied by 3 for helmet use(not including driver overhead) is about 40.8v...thats a big battery.

you're also looking at a crazy amount of light from that helmet/bar setup. I don't know your riding abilities or courses, but unless you're going to jump into the proverbial "light pissing contest" of this forum, it seems extreme.

My recommendations: check into a 2 XM-L in fairly warm tint for head light with modified Ledil Reginas...and 2 XM-L in the same tint with Ledil Laura or the same modified Regina optics. Both running LFlex drivers from TaskLed.
    This still provides ~4000 lumens without losses and for 99% of riders, it'd still be overkill on light.
    I WANT TO BUY YOUR MAGICSHINE LIGHTS! Working or not.

mtbr member
    ditto BKrauhnndon ^. XM-L are the most recent and most efficient LED being used for bike lights at the moment (more efficient = more light, more runtime or a little more of both). Plus most of the optics/ reflectors that work with XP-G seem to work reasonably well with XM-L.

Also check out what other people are doing on the forum - there's no need to reinvent the wheel when others have already put in the hours figuring out what does and doesn't work

mtbr member
    maybe ill do a single MC-E just for the hell of it...light pissing contest..hmmmm......
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    May 2005
    MCEs can run at 1000mA as long as you have a housing that has at least 2 sq. Inches of body area per Watt. I have been using my dual MCE at 1000mA for at least a year. Not a big difference in apparent light between 700 and 1000 but it does get hot faster if stopped and not dimmed. It does get more white as the current goes up. There is a noticeable greenish tint at 300 mA.

For the OP. I would advise not using MCEs as there better emitters available now. Try to get an idea of what type of beam characteristics you prefer by using other lights. This will help you figure out how much light you need. For me a 1000 lumen bar light and 500 lumen helmet light is plenty of light as I like a beam that is tight. If you want a flood beam you'll likely need a higher lumen count. My first LED lights are now on the shelf because I just didn't like the floody beam that my optics choices created. A fair bit of time wasted on those housings that won't suit a good optic.

mtbr member
    from what ive used i want a flood at about a medium distance and a not too tight spot aimed far ahead and im not sure about a helmet light...mostly spot i think...maybe a mediumish optic...
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    ive pretty much have made up my mind to go with these: http://www.ledsupply.com/creexpg-w417.php for both helmet and bar light should be enough lumens
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by henry9419
    ive pretty much have made up my mind to go with these: http://www.ledsupply.com/creexpg-w417.php for both helmet and bar light should be enough lumens
    The tightest Carclo optics that fit that triple produce a pretty wide flood. OK as a barlight for many people. Most people feel that it lacks enough throw for helmet use.

Dirt Deviant
    I just built up a dual triple XPG bar light using the narrow carlco optics and they are very floody. Way too floody for a helmet light using the XPG.

I'll try to take some beamshots comparing my double triple bar light and my double single helmet light using reginas.
    The difference in throw is amazing.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    i think ill use a 4-6 3-up XP-G with carclo optics for the bar light and 3-4 XM-L with Reginas for the helmet light
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    I have a triple XP-E from Quazzle with the narrow Carclo optics for my helmet and it's a great thrower, tighter than the XM-L with Regina. Less overall light but brighter in the nice round beam.

My next 2 Sled lights will be:
    Triple XP-E HEW with Carclo
    XM-L with Laura RS

mtbr member
    as long as i can return the extras ill probably get a bunch of different optics to experiment with to find what i like and then return the rest...

i think on the helmet light i think im gonna do two flood and two throwers...and on the bar four flood and two thrwoers also...or maybe three and three...
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i think ill use a 4-6 3-up XP-G with carclo optics for the bar light and 3-4 XM-L with Reginas for the helmet light
    You'll be lit up like a sports stadium. Seriously, do you really need that much light and the all that it takes to run that much light? That is nearly double what my buddy uses on his off-road enduro moto races

mtbr member

Are you by any chance registered blind .

as a veteran lumen wars candidate I have made my fair share of OTT lights for biking and in that time have come to the conclusion anything over a grand total of 2500 lumens is just wasting battery power and money .and half that is a good set up for the gnarliest night ride

By all means make a kick ass lumen monster and enjoy it and we look forward to your build log

Edit OOPs I forgot to say my current setup is a triple xml on the bars and a double on the lid but I am 300 years old and blind

mtbr member
    well im technically blind in one eye...
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    well im technically blind in one eye...
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    i just realized another problem...how much heatsink area do i need for watt or whatever it is on an XM-L or XP-G...i hope you understand what that meant...
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast