sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006

New light and questions

Dear Light Geeks:

I am doing research about a new light, and am trying to figure some things out. I currently run a Niterider Headtrip 10W (Performance special) light as my only light source, and am looking to supplement it with a handlebar mounted light. I ride 1-2 nights a week in Tucson, 1.5-3hr XC rides.

1) How does a 10W halogen translate into Lumens? I'm trying to figure out how to compare LED brightnesses to what I already have.
    2) I have about a $200 budget, and am looking at production LED lights. My priorities are battery life, durability, and charge time. Contenders are the Minewt, Stella 180-N, Cygolite LED light. Any better suggestions or opinions on these?

Thanks- Evan

UFO Bike Commander
    A 15W NR halogen translates to about 130lumens, runs about 1 3/4hrs on high

The MiNewt X2 puts out 150 lumens, runs 3 1/2 hrs on high, 7 on low. The overall feel I've seen is that the majority of reviews are concerned with its mount. I've been running a couple in Oregon's wet weather, and they seem to be doing ok, but...

Get a spare set of O rings, I cut thru one once. Myself and at least one other member have lost the rubber switch cover, so a spare might be a good idea too... NR replaced them pretty quickly.

I'm looking into covering my battery w/plasti-dip to give it an extra measure of protection...
    but I lost my momentum in doing that... someone hit me with their car, and biking is a little tough w/a broken leg (2 places) (but it can be done).

Watch out there... they sure ain't.
    K'Tesh
    beam(dot)to/ufobike

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Don't know which Cygolite you're looking at, but I picked up a TridenX off ebay ($230) last week and I'm really impressed. I'm using a homebrew double 3w led (original luxeon stars) on my helmet, using the Triden on the bar, and I'm wallowing in light.

So far I've only ridden solo with it, so I don't have much to compare it to, but the beam shape is really, really nice. It's got a lot of side spill, with very little spot definition, but still decent throw (it easily out-throws my quite spotty homebrew light, even with the much wider beam). I'd be comfortable riding most trails with the TridenX by itself on the bars, because of the generous spill, but combining it with a spot on the helmet is the bees knees.

I'm looking forward to riding with a friend with an L&M Arc HID so I can compare the Triden. I'm sure his HID is going to be significantly brighter, but it was the first thing I thought of when I fired up the Triden because I've always been envious of the beam shape of the Arc and the Triden's looks a lot like it.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that if you're looking to spend around $200 on a bar-mounted light I think the TridenX from the dealer on ebay might be the best deal going right now.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Dinotte 200L, 200 lumens, 4 hours on hi, 8 hours on mid and 16? on low. Comes with 2 Li-ion batteries and smart charger in 2 hours.. helmet and bar mount. Very light