Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Also while skimming you tube ( as you do ) found this little gem. It's a new silicone putty which could be used on things like cable strain or little leaks. Never seen one this user friendly before so might get a batch and do some tests as it will stick metal platic aNd glass. It is very thermally insulating tho so don't put it on parts that need heat transfer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fOS...e_gdata_player

mtbr member
    I've used it before and it's flexibility is too low for strain relief, although it sticks to aluminium and plastic just fine. I used it as a strain relief on a couple of commuter lights and on both of them it split after some time in my pannier. Still working fine on my bar light (strain relief for the remote) where it doesn't get subjected to any strain, ironically enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I've used it before and it's flexibility is too low for strain relief, although it sticks to aluminium and plastic just fine. I used it as a strain relief on a couple of commuter lights and on both of them it split after some time in my pannier. Still working fine on my bar light (strain relief for the remote) where it doesn't get subjected to any strain, ironically enough.
    Cheers for the tip will not be using this for a strain relief, possibly keep it for surfboard repairs when travelling.

Rolling on 650b
    I don't have any experience with other many other optics, but I'm using one Carclo tight and one narrow in my 2 xml setup, and I'm very happy with the beam. That 12 degree figure you were looking at is using an xpg, it's 17 degrees with an xml, which I like for a bar light. Plus they are cheap and readily available. Looked at trying some Ledils when I was doing my build, but the ones I were interested in were nearly impossible to come by.

Good luck on your build!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    I don't have any experience with other many other optics, but I'm using one Carclo tight and one narrow in my 2 xml setup, and I'm very happy with the beam. That 12 degree figure you were looking at is using an xpg, it's 17 degrees with an xml, which I like for a bar light. Plus they are cheap and readily available. Looked at trying some Ledils when I was doing my build, but the ones I were interested in were nearly impossible to come by.

Good luck on your build!
    I Have got a Ledil FA11937 in my single xml helmet light and it works very well, So last night I swapped out the ledil for the carclo just to see what the difference is, It wasn't huge but the ledil did produce a cleaner almost more efficient light. Which made me want to use the Ledil, however I noticed that the stack height was taller on the ledil which would mean having a thinner pill thickness the fit everything in the head. So seeing as there was no huge difference with performance I will probably use the caclo to try and keep a better heat path.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adleysh View Post
    So last night I swapped out the ledil for the carclo just to see what the difference is, It wasn't huge but the ledil did produce a cleaner almost more efficient light. Which made me want to use the Ledil,
    Of the Carclo optics I have used on MCEs and XPGs, I have never found them to make a very good beam. Floodlights, even with their tightest spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I wonder what the difference is - I'm running carclo 20mm 12.4* plain tight/narrows on a dual XP-G2 light and feel like it has a really nice hotspot.

Sometimes I only run a helmet light though, and do like the spill/fill I get out of this setup, not floody, but nice peripheral light.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    I wonder what the difference is - I'm running carclo 20mm 12.4* plain tight/narrows on a dual XP-G2 light and feel like it has a really nice hotspot.
    I have not used the Carclo 20mm series on XPGs, just their 10mm series. The 20s I used were on MCEs. The 10mm on XPG suits many, I just find it too short on throw and too wide. The 20mm on an MCE was just horrible. Very wide and dispersed beam even with the tightest available at the time

mtbr member
    Got everything all rigged up for a test and have come across a problem. When I put the light on full 2800mah after around 2-3 minutes it flashes 9-10 times slowly and then turns off. I have the B6flex driver driving it. Is this a low voltage cut off?

At the moment its rigged up with the original plan as I am wating for an XML and triple optic so its the two XML's in series with a triple XPG (parallel).

Due to the charger that I bought having a fault it had to be returned so the batteries are not fully charged, they are at the same charge state as when delivered.

cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like low voltage cut off for the flex driver. I've only hit that once so don't remember exactly the flash pattern, but it sounds right. Get a voltmeter in there and look at the battery voltage under load.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That's the voltage cut. You know you can modify that threshold and if it cuts the power or not. TaskLED drivers are incredibly customizable. I usually have to draw out a flowchart of what programming (and in what order) needs to be done on any of mine.

My 1st step is always to put it in threemode (that's what I like to run) - you have to select that before any of the other programming, if not you have to start over again.

mtbr member
    That's the voltage cut. You know you can modify that threshold and if it cuts the power or not. TaskLED drivers are incredibly customizable. I usually have to draw out a flowchart of what programming (and in what order) needs to be done on any of mine.

My 1st step is always to put it in threemode (that's what I like to run) - you have to select that before any of the other programming, if not you have to start over again.
    So far I have set it up to 2800mah, trimode, 60 degree=power reduce

What voltage do you program for low with a 4s2p pack?
    Will need to change it from turning off as that could be dangerous.
    The cells I am using are protected already does that mean I can set the v low warning lower?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So far I have set it up to 2800mah, trimode, 60 degree=power reduce

What voltage do you program for low with a 4s2p pack?
    Will need to change it from turning off as that could be dangerous.
    The cells I am using are protected already does that mean I can set the v low warning lower?
    Everyone has a preference for how low they like to discharge their cells - 2.75v - 2.8v per series cell would likely be appropriate for a 4s pack (the parallel cells don't contribute, as a parallel pairing should discharge as a balanced pair. So your cutoff setting or low warn setting should be 11v or 11.2 or in that ballpark. Remember, under load your pack will sag lower than the volt meter says when not under load.

You can also set up a mid-point warning on that driver - where you jsut get a blink to notify you you've hit a mid-charge voltage. ~3.0 - 3.2v per cell is not a bad point to set that warning at if you want it - so 12-12.8v.

I usually set mine to not turn off, but keep repeating the low voltage warning flashes every 30 secs or so. I'd rather fry a battery than ride into a tree due to a power cutout. But that's just me.

mtbr member

Result

Ok everyone, as you have helped so much over the last few weeks I thought it would only be fare to let you have a look at the almost finished light

The bits that are changing are as follows:

- Swapping out the triple XPG for another XML
    - Changing the optics to the triple XML optic
    - Possibly boosting up from 2800mah to 3000mah?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Looks nice!

since your amperage setting is just a setting in your driver, and not requiring a different driver be wired up, why not. although a lot of folks feel that last couple of lumens you get out of bumping over 2.8A, is not really worth the tradeoff you pick up in heat.

then again - I'm betting you're not planning on running on high all the time.

mtbr member
    Looks nice!

since your amperage setting is just a setting in your driver, and not requiring a different driver be wired up, why not. although a lot of folks feel that last couple of lumens you get out of bumping over 2.8A, is not really worth the tradeoff you pick up in heat.

then again - I'm betting you're not planning on running on high all the time.
    Yeah am fighting the battle over heat and light, but L4 gets increased if I was to go for 3A so more likely to run it on medium rather than high. Were at 2.8A i'm more tempted to run on high most of the time, unless on fire roads.

Will post some beam shots asap.

mtbr member
    Having a little problem with this light

It seems that the 4s2p battery pack that I made for this light will not power it sufficiently. It will turn onto max 2800mah, but after around 5-10 minutes the voltage has dipped to below minimum threshold set at 11v and turns the light off. On medium it seems to power the light fine.

I can only think of three reasons for this problem:
    - The battery pack I made has a dodgy cell which is causing the drop in voltage?
    - The light as it is set up, XML - triple xpg (parrallel) - XML is drawing off to much power?
    - The batteries are S#*% and will not support the light on high. The battery's are ultrafire 18650's 3000mah and I know they can be dodgy which is the reason I used 8 battery's not 4.

Any help would be much appreciated

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Assuming your pack is built properly, your first idea seems the most likely cause. Your LED setup is ~10Vf at 2.8A. This makes ~28W. If your pack is all good and assuming the 3000mA labeled cells are closer to 2000mA the pack will have ~56Wh of capacity. This should not sag to the shut off voltage.

A14.4V pack is best wired as a 2P4S configuration. Many do a 4S2P configuration. There is a difference. The voltage with either is 14.4 nominal, but a duff cell in a 4S2P pack effectively turns it into a 4S1P.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Assuming your pack is built properly, your first idea seems the most likely cause. Your LED setup is ~10Vf at 2.8A. This makes ~28W. If your pack is all good and assuming the 3000mA labeled cells are closer to 2000mA the pack will have ~56Wh of capacity. This should not sag to the shut off voltage.

A14.4V pack is best wired as a 2P4S configuration. Many do a 4S2P configuration. There is a difference. The voltage with either is 14.4 nominal, but a duff cell in a 4S2P pack effectively turns it into a 4S1P.
    I belive I have made my battery pack 4s2p, how would I wire it the other way around?
    I have balance wires in and they seem so be correct as when i put a volt metre to the balance block it reads 3.7,7.4,11.1,14.8 in sequence.

Any way I took all the batteries out of the case and measured them indervidually and they all read the same voltage of around 3.5v as this is after running the light a while. Would I find a cell with a significant difference if it was bad?

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of the the pack I made and the balance read out on the charger.

The pack is basically two 4s1p packs that I have combined to make 4s2p but I linked after each cell to bridge pairs of batteries to connect a balance wire.

so I have:
    1 pair = 3.7v
    2 pair = 7.4v
    3 pair = 11.1v
    4 pair = 14.8v

Is this correct or have I messed things up here?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    May 2005
    See post 17 in this thread for best series-parallel wiring.

Building a four cell battery pack. How to charge it?

In my experience in using some cells salvaged from laptop packs, I could only find the bad cells when voltage testing under a load.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 02-03-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added information

banned
    Aug 2012

Any way I took all the batteries out of the case and measured them indervidually and they all read the same voltage of around 3.5v as this is after running the light a while. Would I find a cell with a significant difference if it was bad?
    Not unless you are testing the cells under load ... A cell can show proper voltage, and drop drastically when a load is applied.

Ever seen a load test on a car battery ?
    Same idea ... It can read good on a basic voltage check, but under load might show one or more cells have failed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Not unless you are testing the cells under load ... A cell can show proper voltage, and drop drastically when a load is applied.

Ever seen a load test on a car battery ?
    Same idea ... It can read good on a basic voltage check, but under load might show one or more cells have failed.
    Checked the amps being drawn under load and when first turned on I was only getting 0.91A which quickly (within 5 minutes) dropped to 0.15A

Looks like the cheap cells came back to bite me. Am now considering buying a turnigy 14.8v 5000mah 4s1p lipo battery and giving up with li ion all together. Any one with experience with using lipo instead of li ion, I cant seem to find a reason why searching forums they aren't used on bike lights more often?

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I used lipo packs for years with no problems. Just make sure you are using a driver that has voltage warning on it so you don't discharge the packs too far. If you do not have a driver like this just buy a cheap RC Lipo warning buzzer that connects to the balance leads, it will tell you when the battery is nearing the lower voltage level with a nice 90+dB buzzer, which will also scare the crap out of you if riding a quiet and spooky trail.

As for normal lipo charging precautions, I make sure I charge the packs out of the house (fire risk) and not mounting them in such a way that they can be punctured (highly unlikely though).
    Last edited by brad72; 02-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    that's a scarily unbalanced pack! Don't let crap Chinese cells put you off li-ions, just get some decent Sanyo 2600 cells from a reputable seller. They're not very expensive and work well. You can also go li-po, but li-ion tends to be more robust, have better energy density and more charge/ discharge cycles (at the expense of the humungous burst current ratings li-pos have which we don't really need).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2