Thread: New Light?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New Light?

im a little confused with the DIY light scene, can someone reccomend the best setup for someone who is looking to try out night riding? Id like to only have one light, and keep it under 200$. I dont have a ton of experience, but coming from building DIY lasers which are a lot more tempermental, i feel that with some guidence building a light shouldnt be too difficult.Can you reccomend setups(battery, driver, host, LED, etc) and maybe some links to tutorials?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Click on the DIY Light Database link at the top of this page right underneath the search box.

mtbr member
    Also check out this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=169531

DIY lights are more about the journey in making them, than they are about the destination of a finished light. Although a good light remains the importatnt final goal. It helps to be thinking of the kind or light you need for your kind of riding, your preferences, and if no idea, then the kind or riding and how that matches with the use of the DIY lights you see in these two threads. The chance ot build your own CUSTOM light means it is a very personal project. Many opt to modify an existing flashlight or bike light the first time out or go the Amoeba or Culite route, with easy to acquire hardware bits.

Don't forget to Google either forum for info on a specific driver, battery, or whatever. Then you take the best stab at the lens/LED that will do that within your budget, remembering batteries will consume a fair chunk. Have fun. Otherwise, you may as well buy some good flashlights, mounts, batteries, and charger. Or buy an MJ-808.

Specific questions that show you have done your homework are well received. You will find the "I am planning on building this... what do you think? sort of threads work well and generate a lot of help.

Good luck. Warning: this hobby is addictive!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thank you for the input Brian, I learned the journey vs the destination lesson with lasers, where it was almost entirely the building of the laser than the use of it, because there isnt much use to a high powered laser.Im not looking to get too into this because the whole diy laser thing engulfed my free time for almost six months, i just want a powerful light that i can build with some of the skills i learned in those six months, rather than a light building hobby.

I'd rather be riding!
    According to if you want to go tried-and-true or cutting edge. Access to CNC machine for making your own housing, etc.?

For a tried-and-true easy build you can't beat the triple cree/seouls listed at the top of the page by achesalot. Use cree Q5 or R2 leds, Bflex or Buckpuck drivers, ledil optics, square 1" aluminum tubing and aa NiMH or Li Ion battery pack. Throw in some wire and a switch and you'll be good to go.

Cutting edge stuff is using new even brighter and smaller XPE and XPG LEDs. Personally, I am waiting for the opinions on optics for these to stabilize. It appears that they are about there though and it could be time to jump into one of those builds.

You just need to read enough threads to make a decision on what kind of build you want and how deep you want to jump in.

Lets RIDE!
    +1 on the classic Achesalot housing design, but updated with a combo of XPE / XPG leds and Ledil CXP square optics.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.