Thread: New light

mtbr member
    May 2005

New light

New builds have been pretty rare lately....

Decided to get something new started to use up some LEDs that were laying around. One of my sons did the CAD a while back. I tweaked a few things on the design and programmed it for the CNC the other day.New light-double_fraen.jpgNew light-double_fraen2.jpgNew light-cimg1040.jpg
    First operation on CNC done.

35mm Fraen narrow reflectors with XMLs. 4C tint. Taskled driver. 3.5A drive current.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 12-06-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Add info
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Looking sweet Vanc!

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

RAKC
    Sweet is an understatement! Great to see you back onto a new project! Not sure where your headed for optics/reflector design though.

Be awesome regardless but I'm curious because there is a lot there to work with!

I started on my triple using 16mm ledil xpg optics but haven't gotten vary far. Too dang busy. This will give me some motivation to get moving again hopefully.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It is going to have 35mm Fraen narrow beam reflectors that were originally designed for the old Cree MC-E emitter. They make a nice tight beam with the XML emitter which suits my preference though most would find them too narrow I think. That same reflector works very well with the XHP70 when bench tested. I'll probably do up the second housing with a pair of those down the road. Physically the Cree MK-R should also fit. I've not bench tested one of those yet to see what the beam looks like.

RAKC
    Ah that explains everything. You and your "laser site" for a headlamp

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Deleted, wrong post... thanks Tig.

RAKC
    Wrong thread ledoman

mtbr member
    looking lovely! I keep wanting to get going on a new light, but I keep making (or fixing) more tools. Slowly getting there though

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    looking lovely! I keep wanting to get going on a new light,
    It's pretty tough to get motivated to do a new build when you already have great lights. This one is happening mainly because I had some leftover XMLs after swapping them out of my helmet light for XPL-HIs.

Light freak
    Looking good

mtbr member
    that's true. Plus I don't night ride with a group anymore, so no light arms race, and my night ride is tame enough that I can do it on my commuter bike Still froze my azz off last night though.

Once I get a DRO on my lathe and replace the spindle pulleys (they were fixed badly by a previous owner) I'll be able to get started on a nice little double LED light that I've been planning for the last 4 or 5 years!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Next operation done

LED cavities cut. Using threaded retainer rings for the reflectors and their covers so had to make them and a tool to screw them in and out with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New light-cimg1042.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    May 2005

Driver cavity done

Driver cavity done. Setup for a Taskled LFlex. To cover this, I'll do a custom version of my finned LoPro GoPro adapter for the mount and cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New light-cimg1049.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Out of curiosity are you building this as a proof of concept? Thinking about making these to sell?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    Out of curiosity are you building this as a proof of concept? Thinking about making these to sell?
    No concept or marketing plans. I've been thinking about making a new bar light for quite a while. My current one is ~5 years old and while I've grown to like it well enough, I knew it could be better.

Doubt that anyone would want to pay the price. If I made a batch of say 10 of them, the housing (with retaining rings) and mount would have to sell for at least $80. Depending on what LEDs a guy wanted to put in those would cost $10-$30 for a pair. $25 for the driver. $6 for the reflectors. $15 for the power connector. $20 for the remote. Then you still need a battery, charger and assembly time. DIY lights are not done to save money!

RAKC
    Hell no their not lol. But sure fun (but without a proper CNC...hand mill takes FOREVER LOL)

mtbr member
    Looks fantastic. I do like a bit of 3D milling :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Love it!

Very efficient use of the space. Doesn't look like there is a lot of thick sections!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalistro View Post
    ......Very efficient use of the space. Doesn't look like there is a lot of thick sections!
    Trying to keep it lightweight and small despite having large reflectors.

Thickest section is 4mm. That's the LED mounting surface to the cooling fins. Should have dropped that to 2.5mm-3mm, but I was getting tired of messing with the design and wanted get some cutting done. As much as possible, I've kept all remaining sections between 1mm and 2 mm thick.

RAKC
    More I look at the stuff you do, the more I wish I could hit the lottery so I could take some CNC courses and buy a CNC . Though matching your crazy but awesome designs would be impossible.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    More I look at the stuff you do, the more I wish I could hit the lottery so I could take some CNC courses and buy a CNC
    Doesn't take winning the lottery...

A machine kinda similar to mine, a fair bit more heavily used, but still usable just sold for $7500.

BTW, finished the housings today. Next up, the finned driver cover, GoPro mount combination.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New light-cimg1050.jpg  

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Hell no their not lol. But sure fun (but without a proper CNC...hand mill takes FOREVER LOL)
    Or worse yet, no handmill or CNC.... I only run my DIY lights (I love them!), but all of mine are simple aluminum square stock, Amoeba style lights. Wood working equipment gets all of my money and wood makes for terrible lights.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

RAKC
    I actually want to find the way those are built just to see how they are done. A friend of mine made a single emitter one. Whoever came up with such a simple design to make a good light is pretty ingenious.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I actually want to find the way those are built just to see how they are done. A friend of mine made a single emitter one. Whoever came up with such a simple design to make a good light is pretty ingenious.
    The first one I saw was by someone with a forum name like "Achesalot". User Mattthemuppet did a version that was dubbed the "sledlight". If you search this sub for those terms, or close to them, you should find lots of threads.

RAKC
    Sweet, they just have me curious how their actually made (you know me, want to know and learn from all you long time DIY guys)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sweet, they just have me curious how their actually made (you know me, want to know and learn from all you long time DIY guys)
    Yeah, the tube design lights lend themselves well to folks with minimal tools. It does take a bit of fiddling around to get a decent assembly. I built one for a different application a few years ago.

Infrared anyone?

The small tube slides crossways into the bigger tube. The driver goes in the cavity of the small tube. Power connector goes in the hole in the small tube. LEDs are thermal adhesive bonded to the opposite face of the small tube.

Not shown in the pictures on the linked thread.... There are threaded holes in the large faces of the small tube that line up with clearance holes in the bigger tube. Coat the small tube with some thermal paste and slide it into the big tube and screw it together. It makes a pretty decent thermal path to the body.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Or worse yet, no handmill or CNC.... I only run my DIY lights (I love them!), but all of mine are simple aluminum square stock, Amoeba style lights. Wood working equipment gets all of my money and wood makes for terrible lights.
    A creative guy makes the best of the tools available to him. I'd bet that the tube designs were the most widely built of the DIY lights.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    A creative guy makes the best of the tools available to him. I'd bet that the tube designs were the most widely built of the DIY lights.
    They are the reason I still come here and look at the nice mill work you guys put out. I would LOVE to have a vertical mill, but I can actually make a new table saw pay for itself, so the saw wins. You and Mattthemuppet have been good folks at answering questions and inspiring others. :-) I won't even mention that EVERY light I have built has a Vanc mount on it.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .....I would LOVE to have a vertical mill, but I can actually make a new table saw pay for itself, so the saw wins.
    Understand that! I've the "luxury" of being retired. Having machine tools is a nice way to stay out of the wife's hair and earn some beer money along the way.

You and Mattthemuppet have been good folks at answering questions and inspiring others. :-)
    Matt's a great guy, creative as heck, and a darn good rider too. Kicked my butt on one of my "local" trails (of course I've got about 20+ years on him).

I won't even mention that EVERY light I have built has a Vanc mount on it.
    Yeah, I remember that you bought some adapters back when I first started doing them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Housings and mounts complete. Now have to go find my soldering iron...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New light-cimg1051.jpg  

New light-cimg1052.jpg  

New light-cimg1054.jpg  

RAKC
    thats just cool! Though I think your original emitter plan is going to out throw your helmet light

I need to get off my ass and get back to working on my projects. have 3 things half done sitting on my bench. Put all that effort into putting together a dremel sized mill (that works great BTW) and havent touched it in almost 2 months.

I hate the holidays, lol, too freaking busy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    In the same vein of creating, someone needs to develop a multi charger for batteries. One plug multiple wires, couple led indicators. Reliable. Every charger I have gotten in the past seems half baked.

RAKC
    Multi charger wouldn't be a bad idea but even the better chargers take a while to charge. Its for safety. And since most lights come with a charger each then it's really not a problem, for me at least. Plug in 2 chargers and let them go.

Only dealing with one charger, multiple ports is a pretty sweet idea but if someone would make them, I don't think you'd see them included with lights (unless you bought a combo pair of them)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    True I can see that. I always try to solve inconsequential problems. It's a personality flaw

RAKC
    I wouldn't call that a "flaw". Just a different way of looking at things.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Batteries and chargers included with even the higher quality lights could certainly be improved. I'm sure there is a cost concern that prevents that from happening. Personally, I'd never buy a pre-built pack that didn't come with a balancing connector or balancing function built into the protection PCB.

My 18650s are individually charged. When put into their holders they are always balanced. I still have some ~7 year old Chinese something-fire 18650s that last time I did a discharge test still cranked ~1600mAh capacity. IMO that is because they are always balanced. Getting 7 years out of an pack without balancing is pretty much unheard of.

Back on topic:

New light is gathering dust for a bit. Holiday events, a couple non bike light related machining projects, and machining a few batches of GoPro adapters and mounts has pushed it to back burner for a while.

mtbr member
    beautiful work Vanc, those reflectors are going to throw like crazy! I love looking at 3D profiling, looks so pretty.

The square tube light discussion takes me back All of the bike lights I've ever built have been square tube lights, including the commuter lights I use for night riding. They've both had multiple emitter/ driver/ charger/ battery upgrades. Even though I now have the machines to machine lights from solid, other projects keep getting in the way. Making some nice LED light bulbs for the garage right now as it's cold enough that CFLs suck out there.

And Vanc, I think you were just taking it easy on the new guy It'd be great to do a repeat next Spring or have you out to the Blues, it's beautiful out here. There's a very good chance that we'll be heading away from the PNW next year (who knows to where) so another ride in the Cascades would be awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2005

Done

Got all the boat parts and commercial machining work caught up and finished fixing the coolant leak on the wife's car, so was able to get the light soldered up and assembled.New light-new-light.jpg

It's a nice tight beam. Tighter than XP-L HI's with 10 degree LEDDNA optics. It may be too tight!

When it gets a bit warmer outside and I'll get it on a trail for a test. I'll also need to get a temperature test too. At 3.5A it warms up pretty quickly.

90 grams including wired remote. At 3.5A, output will be somewhere around 1800 Lumen. 3C tint so pretty much neutral white.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 01-09-2017 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    awesome! That does look like a crazy tight beam - like an aspheric but with more spill.

what do you mean, when it gets warmer? I went for a ride last week when I was 10F, nice'n'cozy. No worries about your lights getting to warm either

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    ...what do you mean, when it gets warmer? I went for a ride last week when I was 10F, nice'n'cozy. No worries about your lights getting to warm either
    I'm kind of a pansy about riding when it's less than ~40F. It's really not me, it's my gear that's not good enough......

RAKC
    Lol 40F I'm in a hoodie and shorts. I have to agree with your statement, you said it

Awesome work on the light. Looking like a throw monster! Use it to guide planes to the airport when it's foggy hehe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This really came out fantastic. Very nice build Vancbiker! I puts many of the higher end retail options to shame, not to mention the ultra cheap China specials. They can't even finish that custom light. What a joke!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    This really came out fantastic. Very nice build Vancbiker! I puts many of the higher end retail options to shame, not to mention the ultra cheap China specials. They can't even finish that custom light. What a joke!
    Thanks for the compliments. Counting the 30 or so hours that went into it, it ought to put me to shame. I could have bought a Betty R and still had money left over.

I got some Ledil EVA optics to build up in the second housing. Everything else will be identical. It will be interesting to compare beams between the two. The optics are quite a bit heavier than the reflectors. Lots of plastic in a 35mm optic!

RAKC
    Damn 30hrs!

Though my 30hrs wouldn't equal much above a piko hehe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    More I look at the stuff you do, the more I wish I could hit the lottery so I could take some CNC courses and buy a CNC . Though matching your crazy but awesome designs would be impossible.

I feel much the same way. If we did this, we both would get ideas from him, use some of our own, a bit from somewhere else and end up with something different. Not better or worse, just different. That's the point!!