Bike Geek

new LED's v.old headtrip

Ok, I have an old headtrip, 10w halogen. It works ok I guess, I commute with it and do the occasional off road ride with it. Now, is it worth it to buy one of the new generation of LED lights for about $100? Will these lights be brighter and an upgrade?

Straight up, are these new LEDs more powerful than halogens for the same wattage?
    RIP AL DAVIS

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus
    Straight up, are these new LEDs more powerful than halogens for the same wattage?
    Yes, LED gives you more light per watt than halogen.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Bike Geek

worth it

so the minewt usb i s definitely an upgrade. I think that is what i will be shopping for pretty soon.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Minewt is an upgrade in size/weight/run time/cool factor.
    The minewt is rated around 150 lumens. Halogen lights produce 18 to 20 lumens/watt.
    The minewt should be bright enough for commuting.
    Trail riding might be a little challenging.
    If you are a light on the bar sort then consider the Minewt X2 Dual. If you are looking for a bright helmet light then it is hard to beat The Amoeba. 400 watts of LED power and a helmet mounted battery. The Amoeba is available in the classified section here on MTBR.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Let me tell you my perspective
    I started night riding back in 2004. I went from little POS just enough light to be seen to my first awesome halogen light for serious off road (very technical and steep downhills with killer climbings). I bought a 12w Jetlite. Everywhere I went people were amazed by the quality/quantity of light. problem was that it weighted like a newborn (it was around 2 pounds for almost for hours and it costed me 180$)

After using it for 5 YEARS with the same bulb and same battery, I started to hear about those HID lights, bought my L&M ARC and what a light, then I started to hear about those LEDs that were lighter, more efficients and thoughers. I bought a Dinotte 200L and I liked it A LOT. The a friend was amazed by the little thing and bough it from me. I got the 600L and I wanted to match the ARC with a good LED. I got a killer deal on a Lupine Wilma and I have spent a crazy amount of money in lights. I am a trully light-a-holik.

I was perfecct with my 12W Jetlite and didn't care about the weight so if you are a weight w. OK, if not, 100$ are not going to give you a great LED. 230$ will give you a better and lighter system..
    Cheers