mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Smile New Iblaast Ii With Cree R2 Leds

I today e mailed Nightlightning in NZ enquiring about the IBLAAST light which I am thinking of buying as my helmet light. The old IBLAAST claims 720 lumens and I have seen the beamshots and reviews which I am impressed with, and will match my Hope 4 led bar light(which is brilliant). The reply to the email was that they have just launched the IBLAAST II which isn't yet on their website. Nightlightning state that the new IBLAAST II is significantly brighter than the original IBLAAST with very slightly warmer coloured led's, just like the Hope's, which they say gives less glare off of wet roots and stones(which I agree with).
    My question is are the Cree R2 LEDS significantly more powerful than the soeul p4 emitters in the original IBLAAST, which are said to be at best 240 lumens each. Does anyone know the best case lumen output of these Cree R2's.
    The IBLAAST II is only about 20 more expensive than the IBLAAST, which they say they will continue to sell.

mtbr member
    Its probably around 20-30% more light.
    Some data points:
    R2 data here
    SSC P4 U bin data here

Note the SSC U bin ranges from 91 - 119 lumens whereas R2 cree is much tighter at 114 - 122 : data here

I think nightlightning drive their lights at 1.2A so thats around 900lm off the R2s! Cheap upgrade for 20!
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Smile

Thanks for that, just the info I was looking for. I think i'll be buying the new IBLAAST II now, seeing that it is only slightly more expensive tha the original. As you say a cheap upgrade for existing IBLAAST owners.